GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB1 Installed and First Impressions

GTIJeff

Passed Driver's Ed
So, after waiting for half a week for USPS to redeliver, I finally got my JB1 on the dub last night.

Install took me about 15 minutes I believe...it was a race against the sun, but I made it. The infamous plug D wasnt too bad, but I have no clue how anyone could make that happen from the top. I pulled the passenger wheel onto a curb and just hopped under with a drill and torx and popped that cover off in about 3 minutes.

All other plugs were pretty easy, but jeez, talk about minimum clearance...If one of these wires was .5" shorter nothing would fit...I was almost worried for a minute that it wouldnt be long enough to connect everything.

After install I took a drive to get the woman and some sushi and was able to do a couple pulls on the highway on the way. Didnt feel too much difference initially. On the way home I hopped back on the highway and for some reason every car in the world was driving somewhere and wasnt really able to push the pedal, but when I did, after boost and around 3k-4k I felt a bit more power.

This morning...once again...the most traffic ever, but was able to get on it a couple times on the way to the office. Here is what I think so far.

1. I dont feel increased throttle response...I have heard other people say they have...I dont...at all...if anything, I almost feel it is more laggy...Im used to APR tunes that in 2nd gear you punch it and it punches you back...this is not that.

2. Car definitely pulls harder. The power is very linear...and I definitely noticed the time getting to 60+ has been shortened, as I used to get to third gear look at the speed and be confused I was only going 55, when used to my APR cars where if I get on it through third Im already going way too fast.

3. The gears are better at lower RPMs...I know I know, Im not trying to floor it in high gears, but its nice not to constantly downshift. With the JB1, it seems after a second, there is power and I can get moving a bit quicker in higher gears without downshifting if needed.

Keep in mind I have only driven it about 25 miles so far and am sure I need to pay attention to some small details. I also have the cable and run 93, so will up the boost sometime shortly as well.

So far I like it...but need some more time behind the wheel to see if I will keep it or go apr again. There are some things I am just very used to with a real flash...throttle response is most certainly one of them.

The JB1 is giving me power...but I feel like I am waiting too long for it...People have complained about the huge jump in power with the apr tunes, but I've grown to love it...We'll see...Just 8 more hours and I get to drive it again...

boomkapow

Passed Driver's Ed
I am debating going with the JB1 or APR. Looking forward to more comparisons! (I know that piggy back system will be at a disadvantage, just want to know in which areas) Keep it up!

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah JB1 does not alter response; not activated until 9psi? It will definitely help with the 6MT cars and accelerating without downshifting, that is where I noticed the biggest difference.

GTIBEN

Ready to race!
So, after waiting for half a week for USPS to redeliver, I finally got my JB1 on the dub last night.
1. I dont feel increased throttle response...I have heard other people say they have...I dont...at all...if anything, I almost feel it is more laggy...Im used to APR tunes that in 2nd gear you punch it and it punches you back...this is not that.

The JB1 is giving me power...but I feel like I am waiting too long for it...People have complained about the huge jump in power with the apr tunes, but I've grown to love it...We'll see...Just 8 more hours and I get to drive it again...

Has your 16' GTI been APR tuned or are you talking about a past GTI?

GTIJeff

Passed Driver's Ed
Got you. Which one feels fastest out of all 3?

I'd say the Stage 2+ MKV...maybe because it wreaked of gasoline and was mean and loud...and had good tires to grab the road and a stage 2 clutch.

The MK6 GLI stage 1 was good...but drove like a jetta...which just made it boring no matter that it did move pretty well when on the gas...but dear god the clutch and steering was terrible.

GTIBEN

Ready to race!
I'd say the Stage 2+ MKV...maybe because it wreaked of gasoline and was mean and loud...and had good tires to grab the road and a stage 2 clutch.

The MK6 GLI stage 1 was good...but drove like a jetta...which just made it boring no matter that it did move pretty well when on the gas...but dear god the clutch and steering was terrible.

Interesting. After a quick search about stage 2 MKV 1/4 mile times, the JB1 mk7 GTI should be a little quicker. The JB1 GTI should run around mid 13's at around 105ish in decent air at sea level.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
APR tunes have a midrange punch, they always have.

It's sort of what makes them fun, and also its what delivers the torque numbers they put up.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
The MKV's have shorter gearing. Shorter gearing will mean that the car will feel faster than the numbers suggest, where MK7's have VERY long gearing. Great for speed but bad for seat of the pants butt dyno feel. I would agree my DM Stage +2 E47 GTI felt much faster than my JB1 MK7 even though I know it's not actually faster.

GTIJeff

Passed Driver's Ed
The MKV's have shorter gearing. Shorter gearing will mean that the car will feel faster than the numbers suggest, where MK7's have VERY long gearing. Great for speed but bad for seat of the pants butt dyno feel. I would agree my DM Stage +2 E47 GTI felt much faster than my JB1 MK7 even though I know it's not actually faster.

Definitely the gears a bit as well...at least theyre better than the GLI...that thing had family sedan written all over it...I will miss the fender system tough.

WolfgangMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting. After a quick search about stage 2 MKV 1/4 mile times, the JB1 mk7 GTI should be a little quicker. The JB1 GTI should run around mid 13's at around 105ish in decent air at sea level.

105 mph with only the JB1 or JB1 plus downpipe , intake and aftermarket diverter valve?