GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 1.8T Info/Discussion

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
That's pretty light. I'm assuming no jack/spare either? Some people believe wheel spin increases your trap speed. From all my years of drag racing, I think that's BS. I bet if you put a nice short drag radial on the front of the car, you'd pick up 3-4 MPH easy. Not just from the traction but from the effective final drive change. I'd go with as short a drag radial as you can find that isn't completely ridiculous.

Scaled 2800 full tank no rear seat, 3030 with my fatass. Lol. I can't get any traction but first two passes were 110 and 109 all of that coming from the back half. It has a lottttt more to give.

H2OVWRacr

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't think you understand. It's not a question of which is more accurate. The weight of the Sportwagen with DSG and 4Motion you got is useless for this discussion without putting the other car, the Golf R, on the same scale on the same day. We're looking for consistency here between the two, not an accurate real world weight for only one of the two cars in question. It's kind of like dynoing your car on one dyno and somebody else dynoing theirs on a completely different type of dyno somewhere else. It's not an apples to apples comparison and numbers will vary depending on the dyno and other variables. Like I said, if you put the R on that same scale, it will weight less. Volkswagen has published accurate and more importantly, COMPARATIVE curb weights for both cars using the same set of variables (scale, fuel load, etc) and the R is always lighter as per the official VW specs.

I don't think YOU understand. I'm getting my numbers directly from the VW website and you're getting yours from an amazon cloud storage service and trying to pretend that they're somehow more legitimate. So yah, it's kind of a question of which is more accurate. Especially since that's all you're using to defend your argument.

Like I said, you're not accounting for vehicle options and scale inaccuracies. The scale you went on even says it's "NON-CERTIFIED." That's for farm and garden purposes which may or may not provide accurate vehicle weights. 3,280lbs plus the 2/3 of fuel difference @ 6.2lbs per gallon is roughly 60lbs. So that brings you to 3,340 with a full tank. You're now only 18lbs away from the VW published weight. That's pretty damn close especially when you factor in differences in scales and any equipment/options between the two Sportwagens in question (VW's and yours).

LOL....it's a certified public scale thats at a garden center. It's large enough to drive an 18wheeler on and it's used for official DMV purposes. The form says non-certified because the form is non-certified. I wasn't going to pay an extra $10 for an official DMV form when I don't need it. It doesn't affect the weight reading at all. And what equipment/options are you talking about that are going to affect weight? The only option on the GSW 4motion is DSG or manual and we've already extablished that we're talking about DSG cars. So unless you think paint or interior color affects weight, there's no other variations.

I'm going to break down the math for you, and I'm no longer spotting the 10lbs of crap in my car since you're being so pig-headed. Actual weight of my car on scale 3280. Subtract 10 pounds of junk and 30 pounds of gas and you get 3240. That's within 6lbs of the 3246 on the official VW website with no fuel. Now if you add 60lbs of gas and subtract 10 for the junk and you get 3330. 28lb difference from your number with a supposed full tank. Which makes the number on the VW website more plausible than yours as well.

I believe the reason why he was trapping about the same was mostly from the higher compression ratio. That's probably worth 15-20 HP. His race weight may also have been 100lbs less than yours depending on how just how fat you are. It's tough to answer your question without knowing exact race weights, but as you know DA will also play a role, as will where starting IATs were for both cars at the start of the run. These cars pull timing depending on IAT among other factors. So as you can see, there are a lot of variables. But I do believe the 1.8T may be able to make almost as much if not the same power as the 2.0T but only the 2.0T in the R/TTS/S3 since those cars are at a disadvantage due to the lower compression ratio.

My car wasn't pulling timing. I've already stated that my logs showed plenty of timing. So you think that .3 compression on a smaller motor with less cylinder head flow is the difference maker? And a 1000 DA difference? Ok.
FYI: Your specs sheets that you're using as VW fact list both the R 2.0l and Golf 1.8 as 9.6:1 compression. So, either your spec sheets are wrong or your compression theory is shot to shit. Which one is it? :)

I'd also like to point out that when pulling his seats, Chuck also gets to pull that jack and spare you were talking about. And the cargo covers that are heavier than the R equivalent. I'm sure that 1.8 was dialed in and making good power, but weight was the big factor in his time vs. the Rs on the list.

H2OVWRacr

Passed Driver's Ed
It obviously went right over your head. If one car has an empty tank and the other a full tank, the difference will be 180. One car is down 90 pounds and the other car is up 90 pounds. So for the comparison we're making, the overall net difference will be 180 pounds from fuel alone. This is why the C&D weights are useless without knowing precisely how much fuel each car had when weighed.

Edited for dialed down asshole remarks in the attempt at keeping things civil.

If the fuel tank holds 90lbs of fuel, what's the maximum possible difference in weight between a car with no fuel and a car with a full tank?

I'm not seeing your 180 difference.

Last edited:

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Couldn't beat a 13.7 at 110. I got my 110mph sticker, but messed it up when putting it on the car, hopefully they'll give me another or I'll hit the 120 club lol. Have to be on DOT street tires. Once I get the intercooler and stickier tires I'll go back, but for now that's my best.

Worth noting my fastest runs with the IS12 were ASR off not esc sport/off. Might be with going back to ASR off.

You probably leaving 5-6mph on table. With those high iats you down alot of timing. And i mean alot! But launching would help mph alot as well. Car moves it’s retarded light ha so I see much faster times in your near future

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

If the fuel tank holds 90lbs of fuel, what's the maximum possible difference in weight between a car with no fuel and a car with a full tank?

Our of interest did you ever weigh your R when tracking it?

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Sorry for the delayed response, I think I missed a few posts.

I'll try one more time to explain it to you so you understand.

There are two cars, a Golf R and a Sportwagen 4Motion DSG.

Let's say the R has a full tank and the Sportwagen has an empty tank. The difference is 90lbs, correct? But what is the difference if now those 90lbs go from the R to the Sportwagen. It's not 90! You're going from +90lbs to -90lbs. The net difference is 180lbs.

Here's another example. You street race the R against the Sportwagen. On the first race the R has a 90lb passenger and the Sportwagen has no passengers. On the second race that same 90lb passenger goes from the R to the Sportwagen. What is the relative difference in weight between race #1 and #2? If you said 90lbs, you'd be wrong! It would be 90lbs if the passenger simply didn't ride in either car for the second race. But because the passenger went from one car to the other the net difference is 180lbs. That is, the R was +90lbs in weight on race #1 and -90lbs on race #2. The net difference between both races was 180lbs.

Get it now? That's exactly how curb weights in magazines can be skewed... One car can be weighed with nearly a full tank and the other with nearly an empty tank. That's a huge swing.

H2OVWRacr

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry for the delayed response, I think I missed a few posts.

I'll try one more time to explain it to you so you understand.

There are two cars, a Golf R and a Sportwagen 4Motion DSG.

Let's say the R has a full tank and the Sportwagen has an empty tank. The difference is 90lbs, correct? But what is the difference if now those 90lbs go from the R to the Sportwagen. It's not 90! You're going from +90lbs to -90lbs. The net difference is 180lbs.

Here's another example. You street race the R against the Sportwagen. On the first race the R has a 90lb passenger and the Sportwagen has no passengers. On the second race that same 90lb passenger goes from the R to the Sportwagen. What is the relative difference in weight between race #1 and #2? If you said 90lbs, you'd be wrong! It would be 90lbs if the passenger simply didn't ride in either car for the second race. But because the passenger went from one car to the other the net difference is 180lbs. That is, the R was +90lbs in weight on race #1 and -90lbs on race #2. The net difference between both races was 180lbs.

Get it now? That's exactly how curb weights in magazines can be skewed... One car can be weighed with nearly a full tank and the other with nearly an empty tank. That's a huge swing.

I’m trying to be civil but seriously, are you high? Your passenger comparison is absurd. That’s the equivalent of draining the fuel out of one car into 5 gallon cans and then throwing into the trunk of the other that already has a full tank. Look at this way. If pretending the 90lb passenger is the fuel, then both cars would have a 90lb passenger to simulate both having full tanks. If one them had an empty tank that would be the equivalent of the passenger being removed from one vehicle making a 90lb difference. Taking the passenger out of one and putting it into another is the equivalent of taking the fuel out of one car and adding it to another that already has a full tank.

If a fuel tank holds 90lbs of fuel, the maximum difference between empty and full is 90lbs. Italicizing the word relative doesn’t mean you get to change physics.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Are you really this thick headed? Or do you really not understand? I used the passenger example to help explain it easier. You can also use fuel:

The R has a full tank and the Sportwagen has an empty tank. The two cars race. Now the R dumps the full tank of fuel, 90lbs worth, into the Sportwagen. What is the difference in weight between race #1 and race #2? It's NOT 90lbs! It's 180lbs. The Golf R got 90lbs lighter on the second race but the Sportwagen also got 90lbs HEAVIER. The net difference is therefore 180lbs. Now if the R would've removed the full tank of fuel for the second race, then yes, it would've been a 90lb difference. But if you move the 90lbs of fuel from one car to the other, the net difference is 180lbs. Can you really not see this? Or are you just too thick headed to admit when you're wrong?

I’m trying to be civil but seriously, are you high? Your passenger comparison is absurd. That’s the equivalent of draining the fuel out of one car into 5 gallon cans and then throwing into the trunk of the other that already has a full tank. Look at this way. If pretending the 90lb passenger is the fuel, then both cars would have a 90lb passenger to simulate both having full tanks. If one them had an empty tank that would be the equivalent of the passenger being removed from one vehicle making a 90lb difference. Taking the passenger out of one and putting it into another is the equivalent of taking the fuel out of one car and adding it to another that already has a full tank.

If a fuel tank holds 90lbs of fuel, the maximum difference between empty and full is 90lbs. Italicizing the word relative doesn’t mean you get to change physics.