GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is20 - - > is38 upgrade question

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Which one of us had more fun?

🙋
Somehow I don't recall having "less fun" b/c of my tires on the runs when I did it with UHP all seasons, but sure, the summers (Conti ECS) were great for this kind of driving when I had those on and would be choice given it.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It's just the sum total of min + avg + max IATs. Not particularly useful for "close" comparisons, but the sum total can be helpful in putting a number on BIG changes from one to another.

They're sorted left to right by average though FWIW.
Having the ambient posted for each data collection bin would be very helpful b/c I'm convinced that it comes into play w/r to the delta IAT to amb i.e. at 100 deg ambient the same IC will show a higher delta vs. that IC at 50 deg amb but as always....have to have data to back that hypothesis.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't call 32 psi moon boosting. He just wanted a little over 30 to say he has it. The car does make power there and has good logs as well. He is also the only GTI around these parts that can keep up with me and we have similar mods, just different tunes.
32 psi is just a plain stupid ass idea on an IS38. I'm amazed that's not a sneeky special instead of EQT. dumb-ass cobb tuners will do anything their idiot customers ask them to.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I've done runs on the ToTD and the BoTD in VA without issue/on both a street summer and a UHP all season....I stayed out of the ditches b/c I don't drive like an idiot. A set of 200s would be more funner I'm sure and allow higher corner speed/later braking.
sounds slow

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I"m just worried about his vortex plans and pushing 40+ lol

tigeo

Autocross Champion

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
Heck yeah! I also have the dws06's. I'm still debating atm between the CTS FMIC and the DO88. Itl be fully about cost at this point. As I said before, it depends on the new years work bonus. If it's not enough to cover both intercooler and turbo I'll be doing intercooler 100% followed up by something else like brakes or something. I'm. Exited. Thank you for all of this information! What is it like when you run into the those fueling issues? How. Do you tell?
I’d be doing a WOT pull and the upper half of the RPM range I’d get a fuel cutoff where you’d see the throttle stutter. Oh and at times an EPC code for low fuel rail pressure. Got the upgraded pump and have loads of overhead now. Did I want to spend the money, no, but I realize you have to pay to play at times.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I think you mispelled "Didn't end up on Fails of the Dragon" that week.
best decision I made last year was to bring PS4S. everyone else was running 200tw tires on stock camber, after they were thrashed they couldn't do shit once it rained. I was a god until my shitty whiteline balljoint slipped.
next year I'm bringing ECS 02 and toe plates.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Having the ambient posted for each data collection bin would be very helpful b/c I'm convinced that it comes into play w/r to the delta IAT to amb i.e. at 100 deg ambient the same IC will show a higher delta vs. that IC at 50 deg amb but as always....have to have data to back that hypothesis.

For IC temps only, ambient is almost irrelevant as far as I can tell for the way I'm taking logs (on track - it definitely seems to affect the ability sitting still/in traffic etc). It's 100% relevant for coolant temps though.

Look at @MonkeyMD 's logs... his 107F log shows a couple deg lower IAT delta vs the 88F ambient log.

Compare all #2-5 of mine: They range in ambients from 48F-90F. The "worst" of the DO88 was on stock tune in 48F ambient.

I don't think there's a strong enough correlation between IAT deltas and ambient temps to really matter. There's going to be more variance from session to session or track to track than anything. Hell - look at #4 and 5. Same day with a little over a 2F average difference.

Like I've stated before: None of these should be taken as "absolutes" to declare X is better than Y. The honest truth is that anything to the left of the stock intercoolers will all perform within noise of each other. You'll likely never notice a 5F difference on the street - where ALL of the above [aftermarket] intercoolers will perform BETTER because they won't be seeing WOT for 15-20 minutes at a time.

IMO the track makes the stock intercoolers look a LOT better than how they actually perform on the street. You'll see super high IATs from heat soak at lights, and they shed *some* heat quickly but if you're running more boost or bigger turbo they quickly heat up fast, and then there's the internal flow restriction/pressure drop aspect as well which is better covered on Jeff's page.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That's remarkable.
Can you provide more details?

bdd.jpg