GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is20 - - > is38 upgrade question

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Man there's a time and place for driving like a hooligan.

And it's where there aren't idiots who have bald ass linglongs driving through snow
If I’m gonna risk my life I prefer these bad boys.

IMG_2837.jpeg

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
This thread is making my day lol.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Can you bring that stuff to SoCal whenever I decide to replace the turbo on my TDI? Thank you kindly!

Only if we can swap seats at the same time...

Understand your goals for the car and what you will be able to enjoy. It’s really easy to slip into the rabbit hole and then you end up parting it out before the custom tunes are done.

I could have saved so much money...

But, sometimes you gotta try it for yourself first to realize it's not for you...

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
This thread is making my day lol.
this thread makes me feel good about my choices so far and long term plans. Sounds like IS38 is a good stopping point for staying 'reasonable', at least to the point of having more power than stock without going miles down the rabbit hole of chasing numbers and winding up with a car that's frustrating to own.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
this thread makes me feel good about my choices so far and long term plans. Sounds like IS38 is a good stopping point for staying 'reasonable', at least to the point of having more power than stock without going miles down the rabbit hole of chasing numbers and winding up with a car that's frustrating to own.

This post lives rent free in my head. From the thread "Where's the sweet spot?"

IS38 on E30.

I regret everything I did after that.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Only if we can swap seats at the same time...

I could have saved so much money...

But, sometimes you gotta try it for yourself first to realize it's not for you...
Your rabbit hole led to my saying “you know what, off the shelf turbo/tuna sounds pretty ok”

Not to say I’m not constantly fighting the slide into chaos…

1695927788082.png

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Your rabbit hole led to my saying “you know what, off the shelf turbo/tuna sounds pretty ok”

Not to say I’m not constantly fighting the slide into chaos…

View attachment 291511
I got sucked in so bad. I started with a NPM - Neuspeed Power Module. That last like 2 pulls.
My wife and I are looking at a vr6 atlas. I already have the Wookiee pipe from B2bfab in The shopping cart. I will say, I have never modified a Honda odyssey.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
IMO an IS38 GTI, Stock location upgraded IC/charge pipes, quality air intake, good downpipe and good exhaust combined with a good tune, is what I call a BPU increase on this platform. It's a level that is good enough for most and is easily achievable with proven reliability and makes good numbers with a significant gain. Going any further is a mix of good and bad with a whole lot of extra money and you should only do so if you accept what can and will probably happen. It is also good to have another car as a daily as you proceed to venture from this BPU level.

- Do the BPU/tried and true normal, add better brake pads and tires and drive the #$%# out of a very fun GTI on a daily basis for a long time. Mine has 114k. If you get bored along the way then do some cosmetic mods.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
i'm not sure you care about real world results, just flow-testing and filing frivolous lawsuits against cancer patients.
That makes no sense at all.

@Nerdy Oreo, I suggest you include the ECS FMIC in the group of FMICs you're considering unless somebody can show you that it isn't capable of supporting an IS38. ECS has a decent comparison they made, and DBV2 compares their large FMIC with an unnamed FMIC which is the ECS product, and it didn't do too badly supporting 32 psi.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
At the Loe Show the ECS give away for registered cars was a 2” diameter sticker. Couldn’t tell you what was on it because I conveniently lost it. They didn’t even try.

BFI had a special edition machined key chain.
APR had a pint glass and a bunch of other stickers.
Liqui moly have out like $25 worth of additives.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
best decision I made last year was to bring PS4S. everyone else was running 200tw tires on stock camber, after they were thrashed they couldn't do shit once it rained. I was a god until my shitty whiteline balljoint slipped.
next year I'm bringing ECS 02 and toe plates.
Fo sho! My ESC were great on ToTD.