GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the GTI considered Rare?

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Hello Everyone,

I was having a discussion with a friend over what makes a car "Rare" or "Collectable"? Seems these 2 words kinda go hand and hand. For Example, I owned a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR that I bought new in 2006. I was told by the Dealer that this particular Evo was 1 of about 600 sent to the USA for 2006. That made it "Rare" and with the demise of the amazing Lancer Evo in 2015 they have now become "Collectable". You can see this in how the prices for them have skyrocketed in recent years. Along with other Awesome Cars like the Subaru STi and Ford Focus RS.
So I brought my car into the conversation. A 2020 GTI S with DSG in Pure White. In 2020 if you google sales numbers for the GTI in North America you get varied results varying from around 8700 cars (link here for source GTI Sales Numbers) I have seen other articles online reflecting around 12,000. So for agreement sake let's go off the high end and say 12,000 GTI's were sold in North American in model year 2020. Of those, lets assume 40% were S models, 40% were SE's and the remaining 20% were Autobahns. So hypothetically, that would make my car by model about 1 in 4800. Then out of those "S" models, I would guess around 60% were DSG, and 40% were Manuals. Since mine is DSG that now is around 1 in 2880. In 2020 VW had 5 color choices for the GTI, Dark Iron Blue, Pure White, White Silver (being the rarest), Deep Black, and Tornado Red. My car is Pure White, so lets say that white being a popular color is 30% of said GTI's were Pure White so that would bring my 2020 GTI S with DSG in Pure White to be 1 in approx 864 GTI's sold in 2020.

So does this make my car "Rare" or "Collectable"? I never saw it as such, but if we are strictly looking at the numbers, and using that as a guide, would you call the GTI "Rare" and down the road be considered collectable because of said low volume numbers?

This is just for a fun discussion, and in no way is meant to be a DEAD ON number, just going by the info that is out on the Interweb and by not seeing too many GTI's around just makes me wonder if its a car worth holding onto for future collectability?

Would have been nice to have kept my Evo MR, sadly after owning it for 5 yrs I got divorced and needed money. I did sell it for what I paid for it new even after 5 yrs and 60k miles. Granted it was MINT but still, that car today would be very collectable.

What do you folks think? What makes a car Rare and Collectable?

Attachments

• 2020 GTI.jpg
    2020 GTI.jpg
    1,017.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I would agree in some respect, but then again, when my Grandfather bough his 1960 Beetle Convertible in 1963 for $650 and my Father who now owns the car had it appraised by Hagerty and they quoted him $50k as it sits, who would have ever thought?

Do you consider my 06 Lancer Evo MR rare and collectable? even though my GTI is close to the sales number of the MR is it just that the GTI isn't collectable? I know some MK1's and MK2's are fetching some serious cash these days as well.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Interesting when you break down the numbers like that.
I don't know if I'd call the car rare, but certainly not common when compared to the volume of other cars.
As far as collectible goes, I'd say not yet - but I do believe these cars will be collectible.
Especially 10 or so years from now when or if electrics are the norm.
The MK7 and 8 are the last gasoline engine versions of the GTI.
That's collectible material.
I think the MK7 will be more fondly remembered than the MK8.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Using similar logic, my R is one of 100 and I don''t consider it rare. Now, if it was the only year R's were sold here, then perhaps, but since I can go out and quickly buy a similar 2024 it's not rare at all.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
They'll be rare because 99% of the idiots who own them ruin them with tilty wheels and china bullshit mods 😂

There's nothing "special" about any of the common GTI trims aside from maybe the Rabbit Edition because it was a 3000 limited run. I'd say 2 doors would qualify as well since they're very uncommon.

Keeping one STOCK (not even a tune) may be worthwhile long in the future. But that's no fun.

I say this as someone in the process of ruining a Rabbit Edition as a track car with a big dumb hood vent already.

The Pure White and whatever Black ones are only 500 each, with CF Blue and Urano Grey being 1000ea. I'd consider the grey ones most "rare" in the future because CF Blue was brought back in 2020 or 2021, and the white/black were not unique to the Rabbit. The blue is probably the most polarizing color though which may be a bigger factor.

Honestly I feel like currently MOST people who buy these cars are because they're some stancetard scene Instagram jackass. They don't know shit about cars and won't give a shit about them in 20 years, so there won't be as much demand for these like there is for 90s performance cars.

/Incoherent ADHD rant

The GTI will always be overshadowed by the R, and we all know the Spektrum cars are what you get if you really want collectible.

/End for real this time.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Rare as hen’s

..Feathers

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
GTI? No. I see them all the time, everywhere, here in SoCal. The Golf R? Yes. In the 5 years I've had mine, I've seen less than 10 including mine.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
This is all I can think of with this thread.
IMG_2587.jpeg

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Yes the R is sold in less numbers but the R doesn't have the history of the GTI and if there was no GTI there would be no R.

VW probably brought created the R32 back in the day to compete with the Lancer Evo and Subie STi but the R32 stock vs stock got spanked.

I like the R but don't see it as an Evo replacement is why i didn't buy one. The GTI with it's plaid seats just won me over, it's an underdog and i like that about it

What makes something rare and collectable down the road depends on the following said car has? I just feel the GTI has a larger following than the R.

I'm actually on the fence on selling my GTI for a Focus RS. Been eye balling a stealth grey one 2017 with 30k miles.

Just miss having a rally car I guess but the GTI has been good to me and is a low volume car you don't see everyday. I do like that about it. Yeah maybe in SoCal where 60% of them were sold but the reality is, nation wide you just don't see many GTI's

So the question remains. What makes a car collectable if it isn't just down to the numbers?

Just curious on that. Especially with EV's taking over.