GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is it too late to install springs?

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
After living with my car for a year , I've decided I want to install VW DG springs to improve handling & moderately improve appearance.
Will also have spacers & the rear swaybar switched out also.
Car will be 15K miles & is a daily driver with mixed city/hwy usage over moderate pavement.

Besides a proper install - things lining up & seated right;
Do I have to worry about associated hardware (nuts, bolts, hats, etc.) needing to be switched out?

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
After living with my car for a year , I've decided I want to install VW DG springs to improve handling & moderately improve appearance.
Will also have spacers & the rear swaybar switched out also.
Car will be 15K miles & is a daily driver with mixed city/hwy usage over moderate pavement.

Besides a proper install - things lining up & seated right;
Do I have to worry about associated hardware (nuts, bolts, hats, etc.) needing to be switched out?

As long as nothing is damaged during the install or removal, no. For sporty daily driving, the stock shocks and hardware on this car are top notch.

I'm picky. I replaced the rear shocks on my wife's Kia sorento with only 6000 miles on it. They were junk.

I would have no problem doing what you're asking.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Don't lower the car without putting proper shocks on it that are meant for the shorter springs, like Bilstein Sports. The stockers will die a quick death on lowering springs, and the car will ride/handle like crap. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise - it's fact.

_dvorak

Ready to race!

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
Don't lower the car without putting proper shocks on it that are meant for the shorter springs, like Bilstein Sports. The stockers will die a quick death on lowering springs, and the car will ride/handle like crap. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise - it's fact.

Thanks for the feedback.
But I've read enough discussions to know that I am not tracking it nor stressing the planned DG springs to necessitate a shock replacement.

From all feedback I've read, I'd say 99% of the people even on the similar but more aggressive VWR springs have had positive experiences with the stock shocks.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie

false with regards to the DG springs like the OP is asking about. Recheck your 'facts'

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the feedback.
But I've read enough discussions to know that I am not tracking it nor stressing the planned DG springs to necessitate a shock replacement.

From all feedback I've read, I'd say 99% of the people even on the similar but more aggressive VWR springs have had positive experiences with the stock shocks.

this. i put over 70k miles on a mk5 and 60k+ on a mk6, both on eibach pro-kit springs with the stock shocks. neither car suffered any ride/handling quality degradation during the time i owned them (the mk6 has an additional 25k+ on it by second owner) nor did the shocks fail prematurely. i actually put the stock springs back on the mk5 (rabbit) before selling it and the ride remained compliant and well-mannered.

the DG springs are such a mild drop (as were the pro-kit springs) that you are safe with the stock shocks. get closer to a 2" drop and you may have different results...

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
If you reduce your shock travel (vs stock), you increase the work load the shock has to do to dampen the vehicle. Though you can compensate this with an increase in spring rate, it still results in more wear to the shock, and reduced longevity.

If the shocks still last 60k+ miles, most owners won't care. The main issue with shock wear, is you will never notice it unless you have a catastrophic failure. It's so gradual that it just seems normal to the person who drives the car every day. You will notice it if you suddenly compare it with a car with fresh shocks and the same setup.

Tej.

Ready to race!
It's never too late to please yourself. I have VWR springs with stock shocks and so far so good. Ride is a little stiffer but car looks much nicer. Now I look at a stock GTI and they look jacked up ;)

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
If you reduce your shock travel (vs stock), you increase the work load the shock has to do to dampen the vehicle. Though you can compensate this with an increase in spring rate, it still results in more wear to the shock, and reduced longevity.

If the shocks still last 60k+ miles, most owners won't care. The main issue with shock wear, is you will never notice it unless you have a catastrophic failure. It's so gradual that it just seems normal to the person who drives the car every day. You will notice it if you suddenly compare it with a car with fresh shocks and the same setup.

Points noted.

What is considered catastrophic failure?
Short of not being able to stop the car (brakes/tires related) - I don't read a lot about suspension parts failing in the worse way as you imply.

However, I've driven cars upwards to 200K miles with stock shocks & stocks springs to have the same symptoms you are discussing.
Basically, worn shocks happens - whether modified or unmodified.

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
It's so gradual that it just seems normal to the person who drives the car every day. You will notice it if you suddenly compare it with a car with fresh shocks and the same setup.

this is exactly why i was surprised when i put the stock springs back on my mk5 after 70k+ miles. it felt identical to my brand new mk6 (which was still on stock springs/shocks at the time).

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie

I am going to have to disagree. I put Tein S-techs on my 12' Scion at 4k miles, sold the car with 46k miles. Those 46k miles were very hard miles on the car between autox, and living in the mountains and it still rode and handled the same as the day I installed the springs.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Even if the shocks had zero wear across those 46k miles, there is no way it handled exactly the same as it did before you installed the springs. Be a bit reasonable here. That is 46k miles on all your bushings and ball joints. They will be looser and have more deflection just from that. These are all wear component we are discussing. The argument is not that we have magical components which never wear, but just that modifying the suspension will increase component wear vs keeping it stock. That is all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Even if the shocks had zero wear across those 46k miles, there is no way it handled exactly the same as it did before you installed the springs. Be a bit reasonable here. That is 46k miles on all your bushings and ball joints. They will be looser and have more deflection just from that. These are all wear component we are discussing. The argument is not that we have magical components which never wear, but just that modifying the suspension will increase component wear vs keeping it stock. That is all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Wasn't enough for me to notice. Ball joints only show their ugly side when they're loose, otherwise, if they're tight, no issues.