GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intermittent clutch slip?

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys... so today while on the highway I noticed that I had a small clutch slip in 6th gear on the highway. It wasn’t drastic like some videos I’ve seen. It just felt like the clutch was trying to grab and there was a slight delay... not a drastic drop in RPMs like normal clutch slip issues...I have 17.5k miles and bone stock. I did the throttle respond tweak a few weeks ago so I reverted back to the normal settings later today and I just went for a drive on the highway again... the slip is gone. Freaking weird!

I am planning on getting tuned later this year by Xmas time and I already had planed on getting a DKM stage 3 clutch at the same time.

Would love to hear your guys thoughts on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Get a new clutch - stock one, as you are seeing is probably rated for 210lbs and blows.....

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Slip will always be intermittent at first. High load / low RPM like flooring it in 6th gear at 70 is not only bad for the clutch, but also the bottom end. Had you down shifted to 5th, 4th, or 3rd it never would’ve slipped

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion
Slip will always be intermittent at first. High load / low RPM like flooring it in 6th gear at 70 is not only bad for the clutch, but also the bottom end. Had you down shifted to 5th, 4th, or 3rd it never would’ve slipped

Ya I usually do downshift, which is why it came as a surprise to me today when I didn’t.

Like i said , I’ll more than likely upgrade once I’m tuned.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Ya I usually do downshift, which is why it came as a surprise to me today when I didn’t.

Like i said , I’ll more than likely upgrade once I’m tuned.

Sounds like a good plan. I have the DKM stage 3 and have installed a few for customers. It’s definitely the way to go

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion
On the way home from dinner tonight I tried to replicate the issue again... and... nothing. Normal as can be.

I’ll just have to be more diligent about it and see if it happens again.

owlicks

I will say — every car I’ve ever had has been a stick. I’ve driven manuals for the last 20 yrs. My last car was a 1996 Audi A4 on its original clutch. NEVER have I had to worry about whether I was pushing too hard at 2000 RPM or whatever. I love this car — but man, that is a shit clutch if it is this delicate on essentially a new car.

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys here’s a video of what I’m talking about...

As you can see the RPM gets like “trapped” around 3k... for like 4pmh... it’s like my car is trying to catch up.

I also noticed sometimes the number of gear - like 5 in this case - flashes and it’s like trying to grab and then grabs.

https://youtu.be/eb-jHQlx8BE

Ps disregard my weirdness on the mic haha I was sending that video to a buddy of mine.

Could it be my throttle body sensor? Or something related? Or def clutch slip?

Last edited:

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
It could also be engine lag - I had this experience when I took 2nd all the way up and don't shift fast enough - boost drops off fast and the engine lags....