GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intermittent clutch slip?

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion
Soooooo,

I took my buddy out for a ride in my car last night. And guess what we found out? One of the tabs to the throttle body sensor/connector was broken...
(I had a front end collision the first week owning the car)

So we used some compressed air to make sure everything was clean. Then we zip tied the connector so it wouldn’t move...

And now my car feels solid and there is no “slip” in 5-6. The weather is even cooler this morning than usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I have had this issue on my MK6 and my MK7.
When I had my MK6, it started around 35,000 miles or so and it would happen when I gave it a little too much in 5th or 6th (sometimes 4th.)
I figured it was my clutch that was slipping so I started looking at options.
I babied it for a while while I tried to decide what I wanted to do until one day, it just stopped. The car was totaled not too long after that so I just forgot about it totally.
Fast forward to about 6 months ago, my MK7 had almost identical mileage (around 35K) and sure as shit, the same thing started to happen!

Most of my driving is highway, so there are times when I give it a little without downshifting, so while being at about 1/2 throttle or more in 5th or 6th going about 60mph, it would feel like the clutch was "slipping"
I remembered back to my MK6 days so I figured once again, I would just baby it for a couple of months and see if it will do away like it did before.
And it did.
As of a couple of weeks ago the car is totally fine.

No more "slipping" under more than 1/2 throttle, no matter gear or RPM.
I still take care though...I don't go more than 1/2 throttle unless I'. getting into the 3K RPM range.

I guess I'll see if this is something that will last...

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion
I have had this issue on my MK6 and my MK7.
When I had my MK6, it started around 35,000 miles or so and it would happen when I gave it a little too much in 5th or 6th (sometimes 4th.)
I figured it was my clutch that was slipping so I started looking at options.
I babied it for a while while I tried to decide what I wanted to do until one day, it just stopped. The car was totaled not too long after that so I just forgot about it totally.
Fast forward to about 6 months ago, my MK7 had almost identical mileage (around 35K) and sure as shit, the same thing started to happen!

Most of my driving is highway, so there are times when I give it a little without downshifting, so while being at about 1/2 throttle or more in 5th or 6th going about 60mph, it would feel like the clutch was "slipping"
I remembered back to my MK6 days so I figured once again, I would just baby it for a couple of months and see if it will do away like it did before.
And it did.
As of a couple of weeks ago the car is totally fine.

No more "slipping" under more than 1/2 throttle, no matter gear or RPM.
I still take care though...I don't go more than 1/2 throttle unless I'. getting into the 3K RPM range.

I guess I'll see if this is something that will last...

Dude that is exactly the same issue I have! Ya, I'm going to baby it for a while and then once I get tuned I'll just do both clutch and tune at the same time. Like I said in the previous post, it drove perfectly fine this morning.

Last edited:

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Oh yeah I did not mention that both the MK6 and the MK7 were stock tune.
The MK6 was intake and cat-back and the Mk7 is totally stock.
When you do pull the clutch...I'd be curious to know if there are any signs of damage.
Because to me, it is totally ridiculous that these car's can't handle some high-gear. lower RPM pulls from time to time.
Is driving it like that ideal? No. But should it be able to handle it? Yes.