GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Increase in Prices

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Seems the 2024 R costs 30% more than my 2016. But there's no inflation, right? I can't wait to see what my insurance costs next year.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Who said there's been no inflation since 2016?
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 8.14.55 PM.png

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Well credit where's due to VW, Mk8 R's are actually coming in slightly under the rate of inflation.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Well credit where's due to VW, Mk8 R's are actually coming in slightly under the rate of inflation.

Yes, especially when you consider that Germany has been experiencing inflation at a higher rate than the US. Very few Americans know how incredibly well the US economy has been doing, post pandemic, with regards to that in the rest of the world.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Seriously.

Cereal like $7 a box now 😂

Bro.

I went to Wendy's last night on my way back from PA for a snack. I ordered two Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers and a medium lemonade. I pulled out a $10 bill that I had, since I had some cash in case I ran into any cash only tolls.

IT WASN'T ENOUGH!!!!

Fucking 2x JBC's and medium lemonade was $11.20.

ELEVEN DOLLARS AND FUCKING TWENTY CENTS!!!

JBC's used to be $1!

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Bro.

I went to Wendy's last night on my way back from PA for a snack. I ordered two Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers and a medium lemonade. I pulled out a $10 bill that I had, since I had some cash in case I ran into any cash only tolls.

IT WASN'T ENOUGH!!!!

JBC's used to be $1!
Wuuuuuut. The real crime is the $3.19+ lemonade. At least they put more produce on the JBC than they used to.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Bro.

IT WASN'T ENOUGH!!!!

JBC's used to be $1!
4 for $4 bro

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
back in my day, cars used to cost a nickel!
View attachment 294321

That's probably directed at me, but not quite. In 1976, a one-year-old Corvette was $8500. That was my second car, my present to myself for enduring 4 years of higher education and working full-time. Insurance was only $450 per year for zero deductibles for comp and collision with State Farm. That was double the cost of my previous car. Back then, after figuring in the cost of the car and your driving record, they added a 50% surcharge for fiberglass.

Last edited:

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Yes, especially when you consider that Germany has been experiencing inflation at a higher rate than the US. Very few Americans know how incredibly well the US economy has been doing, post pandemic, with regards to that in the rest of the world.
Not to mention that a base, NO OPTION Mk8 Golf R starts at ~US$60,000 in Germany.

Fully optioned they touch about US$80,000. Which is why the pricing on the yellow 333R wasn't that wild for the market it was in.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
That's probably directed at me, but not quite. In 1976, a one-year-old Corvette was $8500. That was my second car, my present to myself for enduring 4 years of higher education and working full-time. Insurance was only $450 per year for zero deductibles for comp and collision with State Farm. That was double the cost of my previous car. Back then, after figuring in the cost of the car and your driving record, they added a 50% surcharge for fiberglass.
To put that in perspective, $8,500 in 1976 is $47,000 today.

1699021867977.png

There is no chance of finding a 1 year old corvette at 47K today.

The $450/year for insurance comes out $2,500/year for insurance today. More than I would expect to pay if I was buying a Corvette today.

1699021948751.png