GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Impromptu GS alignment and car weighing

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Calibrated my garage floor and my new scales and then had @aroundomaha come over and we compared car weights.

While he was there I convinced him to try toe out at the first test and tune this Sat.

It was a great success!

IMG_4142.JPEG

IMG_4150.JPEG

HIs car is about 110 lbs lighter than mine, however I was not on my heavier wheels and tires and still had the OEM plus suspension on. Either way, the performance pack and sunroof account for most of the difference.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm looking at getting those toe plates so I can experiment and find tune rear toe and camber. How hard are they to use?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I'm looking at getting those toe plates so I can experiment and find tune rear toe and camber. How hard are they to use?
Very easy.

We marked the OEM toe-in setting with a sharpie on each eccentric bolt and then moved each eccentric bolt equally until we got to the total toe measurement we wanted.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Cool, mine should be less with out a sunroof, 3lbs battery, and Brembos up front.

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
Calibrated my garage floor and my new scales and then had @aroundomaha come over and we compared car weights.

While he was there I convinced him to try toe out at the first test and tune this Sat.

It was a great success!

View attachment 207769
View attachment 207770

HIs car is about 110 lbs lighter than mine, however I was not on my heavier wheels and tires and still had the OEM plus suspension on. Either way, the performance pack and sunroof account for most of the difference.
806B9DC8-120F-4F2C-9CB9-6FC69E2F1C01.jpeg

I was surprised to see my DSG with half a tank of gas come in just under 3,000. This is not a PP car so the brakes are lighter, and it had 18” RPF1s with 225/40/18 tires mounted. Everything out of the trunk as well.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
When we weighed my GS car way back when it was 2940 or something IIRC, right after I think day 1 run so it was basically the running weight(no spare, rear cargo floor removed, ~1/4 tank). Weighed it at the Bristol tour back in 2018. Being a 2016 2 door with PP on Enkei Fujins.

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
The alignment worked great for today’s first autocross, so it appears I like about 1/8th rear toe out. Tire pressures were set 41 front 38 rear. The turn in was perfect and rotation was controllable and not at all unpredictable. The new RT660s were a little greasy on first run but far better than the used RE71Rs that I was using (probably heat cycled before I bought them).

If you need an alignment hit up @xXDavidCXx :)

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The alignment worked great for today’s first autocross, so it appears I like about 1/8th rear toe out. Tire pressures were set 41 front 38 rear. The turn in was perfect and rotation was controllable and not at all unpredictable. The new RT660s were a little greasy on first run but far better than the used RE71Rs that I was using (probably heat cycled before I bought them).

If you need an alignment hit up @xXDavidCXx :)
What did you use for front toe (if any)?
You've got the right color car, BTW...

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI

It was a great success!

View attachment 207769
View attachment 207770

Sorry to highjack - what wheels are these?

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
Sorry I missed the front toe question.

Front
  • Camber: Left front -0.9 / Right front -0.7
  • Caster 7.1 (same left and right)
  • Toe 0.06 (duplicated on the right for total toe of 0.11
Rear
  • Camber: -1.7 (right and left)
  • Toe: Since we set the rear toe out via toe plates it should be about 1/8th toe out.
We adjusted to toe out since the shop set toe in at 0.14 per side and with the camber we anticipated it would fight with my 26mm H&R rear sway bar. The toe out helps rotation but I do miss some of the tail wagging it did before the shop alignment.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Sorry I missed the front toe question.

Front
  • Camber: Left front -0.9 / Right front -0.7
  • Caster 7.1 (same left and right)
  • Toe 0.06 (duplicated on the right for total toe of 0.11
Rear
  • Camber: -1.7 (right and left)
  • Toe: Since we set the rear toe out via toe plates it should be about 1/8th toe out.
We adjusted to toe out since the shop set toe in at 0.14 per side and with the camber we anticipated it would fight with my 26mm H&R rear sway bar. The toe out helps rotation but I do miss some of the tail wagging it did before the shop alignment.
I ran same bar in GS, but .15 toe out, -0.9 camber front (loosen strut top bolts and the ball joint nuts to get all the neg camber you can get) Rear was 0 toe -1.8 camber and it was fantastic.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I'm currently running the same alignment specs as @GTIfan99, but running the 25.4mm 034 RSB. Have a Test & Tune coming up in another two weeks- gonna play with front shock rebound settings, tire pressures & rear toe. I'm going to leave the rear bar alone (it's on the softest setting)- the rear wheels already spend too much time in the air...