GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many miles can we reasonably expect out of our cars?

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I have a MK 6 R and it's not out of date. I bought a new phone last month :)

anyhow I may buy an android entertainment head, $500 instant up-to-date :D and you can't beat the payments $0.00.

The problem is that the cars are pretty much moving computers, and after 10 years of driving in salt infested roads, through harsh conditions, all the bumps, etc i feel like the electronics will start to fail. I'm not worried about the motor or transmission because those while expensive are mechanical and can be rebuilt/bought used/etc. I take care of my interiors so i'm not worried about that, it's really just the electronics that gives me pause keeping the car past 5 years / 150,000km ish.

I've had the car 1 year and i've already had a bunch of random CEL issues and ACC issues that VW has said "those aren't problems" (i feel that if it lights up the dash, it is a problem), so i'm scared of keeping the car past it's warranty. If VW had handled the issues better i would be more willing to chance it long term.

I love the community and it was one of the main factors i bought the car, but there's also other cars with similarly great communities. Maybe when Subaru's tech and interior departments catch up to VW i'll jump ship.

adam1991

Banned
I just bought my first VW, a new GTI, and I have the same worries you do.

I may have talked myself into just accepting a 3 year/36 months turnover cycle, if I want VW. I've never done it like that--I don't lease cars, and I drive about 20K a year, and I have always tended to buy used and keep them for awhile. VW may demand a different mindset.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I have a MK 6 R and it's not out of date. I bought a new phone last month :)

anyhow I may buy an android entertainment head, $500 instant up-to-date :D and you can't beat the payments $0.00.

but you only have a 6-speed transmission, the new thing is 7-speed...;)

I agree, the cars for the most part should run forever. I only got 160,000 kms before my S4 started burning oil like a mofu - even after a PCV valve switch. I'm hoping to get more then 7 yrs out of the Golf R. So far so good @ 230 kms ha!

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)

tknj99

Ready to race!
I'm more curious how long we can expect with the car being tuned. In my case a GTI with JB4. Will eventually go JB4 + DP and leave it at that. But we keep reading of people with these mega tunes pushing big hp/tq as well as those with IS38's on their GTI's. It just makes me question what the tradeoff is.. i recall the statistic that smoking 1 cigarette cuts your life expectancy by 5 minutes, whats the stats on these mods? I would think the extreme end ie IS38 on a GTI with all bolt-ons and tune maxed out would have to be guessing 30% less life expectancy of a stock GTI and in that scenario maybe stage 1 is 5-10%, stage 2 10-20%, etc. Who knows but it would be nice to know indeed. and in the extreme example mentioned, it makes me wonder if the internals can handle it long term.. we know the R has beefed up internals but we dont with the GTI, or maybe in typical fashion VW underestimates what our stock engine can tolerate and we are fine?

Kyle_Kelso

Passed Driver's Ed
I have 160,000km on our 2015 GTI. Not a single CEL or real problem. I'm at the point I'm starting to worry about what's going to give up the ghost or what big repairs it will need, but so far nothing! It does use a tiny bit of coolant over time, had to top it up 3 times now but it's been the same rate since new.
Our early production model didn't come with all that electronic safety crap, and I'm glad. New cars are creating useless drivers... But that's another topic.

My biggest fear is being a pioneer in terms of mileage on the new platform... I'd be a lot more comfortable in a turbo VW that hundreds of other people had miled out and reported what needed special attention!

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Wild Hare

Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)

SRoads

Ready to race!

no...your completely wrong....500,001.

but on a serious note...I have seen a couple taken apart 1.8t from the mk4 generation with over 220,000 miles that have been chipped the majority of there lives still have the original honing on the cylinders and all parts measuring in spec.

If you do regular maintenance, don't drive the an ass hat on a cold motor/gearbox and are fortunate enough to have a garage to keep your car in at night....it will last a very long time.

Last edited:

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I just bought my first VW, a new GTI, and I have the same worries you do.

I may have talked myself into just accepting a 3 year/36 months turnover cycle, if I want VW. I've never done it like that--I don't lease cars, and I drive about 20K a year, and I have always tended to buy used and keep them for awhile. VW may demand a different mindset.

You may be in a better situation in that compared to most people your car's electronics will be younger and more current compared to its mileage.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I sold my last car at 10 years old with only 37K miles on it, and although I do drive the R more than that, it'll still likely have less than 40K miles at 5 years. At that point the car's engine and structure will still be fairly youthful, but given the rate of change we're seeing its electronics will be really outdated by then. Actually they're outdated already, since it's a 2015.

Neil

rr1santos

Ready to race!
I'm at 34.7k mi right now. will most likely hit 35k by sunday so I can do oilchange and plug check. changed plugs at 30k but since I run meth and ethanol Id like to see how the plugs look ~5k in.

Car runs just as I drove it off the lot only faster...we'll see how it does in another 5k.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
My Mk5 has 140k on it. Was a bear to get there though; stuff like thermostat, leaks, sensors, switches, latches, wheel bearings, calipers, etc. etc. Nothing major but even doing my own maintenance the little things added up fast and I was doing a repair every 2-3k or so.

Getting to around 110k or so was easy-peezy on it, but after that it got progressively worse. I don't have the heart to get rid of the car so it sits mostly and mileage creeps up now and then. It's still reliable in the sense that I don't feel it will leave me stranded anywhere, it just does the amount of nickel-diming you would expect for a 10+ y/o 140k mile car.

Wild Hare

Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
no...your completely wrong....500,001.

but on a serious note...I have seen a couple taken apart 1.8t from the mk4 generation with over 220,000 miles that have been chipped the majority of there lives still have the original honing on the cylinders and all parts measuring in spec.

If you do regular maintenance, don't drive the an ass hat on a cold motor/gearbox and are fortunate enough to have a garage to keep your car in at night....it will last a very long time.

Yer right!

Bvstp

Passed Driver's Ed
Well said! And as for mileage, if driven sensibly, maintained properly and is overall cared for, most cars will exceed 150,000 miles. VW included as I’ve owned 9 as well as other brands, Japanese, Korean and domestic. The domestic brands had more mechanical issues. My 2013 Kia Sorento SX just hit 107,000 with only general maintenance. I’ll keep it until it hits 150,000 unless problems develop ( or if VW wants to give me a new orange Tiguan ). My 2017 Golf R only has 5,800 miles and loving it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk