GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many miles can we reasonably expect out of our cars?

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Speaking of computers, as someone mentioned before, the plus side about the 7s is that we can upgrade / swap electronic parts in our vehicles. Which is nice.

prime8evolved

Passed Driver's Ed
2017 Golf R (MK7) with currently 98k. Stage 1 APR ECU and TCU (soon to be Unitronic because no more APR Stage 2..) Mostly highway driving but, I really do enjoy those mountain passes and the occasional red light lineups. Since I got it with 59k and don't trust dealership services, I have had the DSG service, Haldex service, flushed brake fluid, flushed coolant (coolant wasn't bad just did it because almost 100k), regular oil changes, changed out the serpentine belt and tensioner, Plugs and Coils, (Started getting misfires around 75k and coils fixed the issue as the plugs looked good) Struts all around, Pads and Rotors, Front wheel bearings, (Front passenger side was bad at about 80k) and I am going to have the ball joints replaced soon. When Covid hit I decided to drive everywhere for work.. so I put almost 40k on in 1 year.

I am told to not be concerned about the timing chain. A reliable source has said, they haven't had to service an MK7 timing chain yet. (I am still concerned.. lol)

I am a Technician by trade and am very in tune with my car. I know when something is off.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I think the biggest issue with the timing chain is stretch, which you can check with ODB11 or VCDS I believe. Though with so many people throwing power at the motor these days hasn't been a big issue. I've read of only one or two. I think LSPI and Crank walk would be bigger concerns, but forums tend to be biased. 🤷‍♂️

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I think the biggest issue with the timing chain is stretch, which you can check with ODB11 or VCDS I believe. Though with so many people throwing power at the motor these days hasn't been a big issue. I've read of only one or two. I think LSPI and Crank walk would be bigger concerns, but forums tend to be biased. 🤷‍♂️
I still wonder if the vw508 oil does anything for LSPI myself....

I found an old thread on bobistheoilguy but the back and forth consensus seemed to be that the vw508 oil is a mystery

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Depends on maintenance and how proactive you get things done on time. Also depends on abuse.

A lot of folks that daily drive and track actively will have to over haul and rebuild sooner than folks who don’t track.

my brother in law’s apprentice daily drives and tracks a turbo k24. Motor is built too. He has yet to rebuild and it’s been about 3 years and about 40k miles. Leak down and compression test is clean so far. But it’s coming. Cuz of course it will be. It’s just the nature of these things.

either way. If you’re gonna beat the car. Don’t do oil changes at 10k miles, do them sooner. Same with lsd. Same with dsg. Do your maintenance sooner.

edit: dunno about the electronics. The way a lot of these cars are set up. Every little thing can be considered an eventual point of failure, if you think about it

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Depends on maintenance and how proactive you get things done on time. Also depends on abuse.

A lot of folks that daily drive and track actively will have to over haul and rebuild sooner than folks who don’t track.

my brother in law’s apprentice daily drives and tracks a turbo k24. Motor is built too. He has yet to rebuild and it’s been about 3 years and about 40k miles. Leak down and compression test is clean so far. But it’s coming. Cuz of course it will be. It’s just the nature of these things.

either way. If you’re gonna beat the car. Don’t do oil changes at 10k miles, do them sooner. Same with lsd. Same with dsg. Do your maintenance sooner.

edit: dunno about the electronics. The way a lot of these cars are set up. Every little thing can be considered an eventual point of failure, if you think about it
I've always changed oil every 4000 miles, DSG every 25,000 and LSD every 50,000. Plus early maintenance on everything else. Since I hit 100,000 miles I'm now changing oil every 3000 miles.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I've always changed oil every 4000 miles, DSG every 25,000 and LSD every 50,000. Plus early maintenance on everything else. Since I hit 100,000 miles I'm now changing oil every 3000 miles.
Not a bad idea

I change mine every 2k miles and after each track day. I go through a fuck ton of oil every year.

as far as the lsd. I’m hoping I can get away with doing it after the season and just do it once a year.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not a bad idea

I change mine every 2k miles and after each track day. I go through a fuck ton of oil every year.

as far as the lsd. I’m hoping I can get away with doing it after the season and just do it once a year.
Should be able to since you don't drive that many miles.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
2017 Golf R (MK7) with currently 98k. Stage 1 APR ECU and TCU (soon to be Unitronic because no more APR Stage 2..) Mostly highway driving but, I really do enjoy those mountain passes and the occasional red light lineups. Since I got it with 59k and don't trust dealership services, I have had the DSG service, Haldex service, flushed brake fluid, flushed coolant (coolant wasn't bad just did it because almost 100k), regular oil changes, changed out the serpentine belt and tensioner, Plugs and Coils, (Started getting misfires around 75k and coils fixed the issue as the plugs looked good) Struts all around, Pads and Rotors, Front wheel bearings, (Front passenger side was bad at about 80k) and I am going to have the ball joints replaced soon. When Covid hit I decided to drive everywhere for work.. so I put almost 40k on in 1 year.

I am told to not be concerned about the timing chain. A reliable source has said, they haven't had to service an MK7 timing chain yet. (I am still concerned.. lol)

I am a Technician by trade and am very in tune with my car. I know when something is off.
Good work!. on the serpentine belt and tensioner change can you offer me any tips or advice? was it pretty rough? not alot of room from up top. did you change out from below? not sure 100% how to go about it. I wrench on my own car too...thanks!!

prime8evolved

Passed Driver's Ed
Good work!. on the serpentine belt and tensioner change can you offer me any tips or advice? was it pretty rough? not alot of room from up top. did you change out from below? not sure 100% how to go about it. I wrench on my own car too...thanks!!
Didn't see this until now. I changed from the top with minimal swearing and maximum patience. It would probably be easier to be able to get it from the bottom however, I like a good challenge. 4 mm allen key will be your friend when taking the old tensioner out. This will be what you use to hold it place when sprung back and under tension while removing it. I think it was 4mm anyways..

Good luck!