GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How long does it take to remove jb1/jb4?

Vrrm11

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm paranoid about my warranty so I would be taking it off for dealer visits. The car would be a gti or tsi 1.8 (currently deciding).

How many minutes does it take to completely remove it for a non-mechanically inclined person? Is a jb1 easier than a jb4?

Many thanks.

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
JB1 and Jb4 will be similar in removal but the JB1 is easier due to no AFR tap and I believe one or two less plugs. For a non mechanically inclined person, it should not take more than a half hour to remove. That being said, the extra hassle of removing JB4 vs JB1 is well worth it

slow12s

Ready to race!
Have you ever jacked up your car before? I can't get to the D plug from above (I have no idea how some people say they can), so I open the hood, close the doors so the car starts to go into it's sleep cycle...while it's doing that, I jack up my car (I use a jack and jackstands), remove the underside tray and remove the afr wire (blue wire - not on the jb1)...by the time I'm done with that (I take my time), the car should be asleep (it takes about 10 mins...this just helps you avoid fault codes after you remove the jb4...first time I did not do this and I had a christmas tree on my dashboard and had to turn the car on/off twice and drive down the block to clear the codes)...so after those 10 minutes to let the car go to sleep, you can remove the D clip on the bottom, plug the stock one back in (this is the clip that can cause the most headache), then remove the 2 top clips and take everything else out...after this you would take out the obd2 plug and hide it up with the rest of the wiring...I would say including jacking up the car and waiting for the car to go to sleep, maybe 15 minutes now that I have a hang of it, probably closer to 30 when I first started.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Once you install it you'll have an idea of how to feel for plug D when removing. Use a flash light and small flat head if you're unsure. Takes me a minute to remove from the top.

For the R you'd have to go under the car.

dub_guy

Ready to race!
JB1 would be easier than JB4 to remove (as JB4 has the cable going through the firewall to the OBDII port). Depending on how easily you can get to the D plug (which is low on the front of the engine as note), I would say it would take about 30 minutes to do. If you try to fight with the D-plug from above, it can take longer....

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
If you can remove the front lower plug from the top side you can remove the unit in under 10min. A plastic interior trim tool works and Shwaben also make a round handled tool to remove that reduces chances of breaking the clip. I likely spend more time wire tying the wire lines to keep then in place by the fan.

OP. If you need details PM me and I can share more info.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
The first time I installed the JB1, it took less than 30 minutes. Plug D is obviously the hardest part. I practiced disconnecting the Plug D ports on the JB1 itself one handed while it was off the car. Second time installing was less than 10 minutes. A small flathead screwdriver may serve you well to help get Plug D off. Also, push it in before attempting to loosen and pull it off to relieve pressure. Also, make sure to open the hood, lock the car, and wait 10 minutes before installing the JB.

Vrrm11

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for all the replies, sounds like a Jb1 would be easier. I'm only looking for some modest boost anyway.

Does it make any difference if it's being removed from the 2.0 gti or 1.8 tsi?

murph3699

Go Kart Newbie
Where are you guys placing the Jb4 box? Just got mine and looking for opinions. Also, do you disconnect the battery and do you totally remove the OBD wire (or just tuck it) when removing it for dealer visits?