GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Here We Go Again... Options For an Inch or Less

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
And as far as ride quality goes, I'm definitely not opposed to stiffer. I'm not into mismatching the shocks and springs and quickly blowing out the shock and crashing through the stroke and smashing into bottom out. Or bouncing down the road (been there done that... high school decisions :rolleyes:). However, I don't mind the jiggliness and harshness off a stiff suspension. And I'm certainly well aware of driving a lowered car on the lovely roads of Jersey and PA. As much as I hated the mushy, pillowy feel of the stock Golf suspension, I didn't miss always being on the lookout of what to avoid!

Sandman - that looks just about perfect! Ideally the drop I'd shoot for on coilovers or proper shocks. Out of curiosity (and laziness), what shocks are you running and how do you rate the ride? Don't worry, I'm gearing up to dive into your build thread!

I will be doing the work myself. Should be more fun not dealing with bolts that have seen 10+ Northeast winters! Part of me wants the project of breaking down the suspension, the other part wants to assemble new shocks/springs/top mounts or coilovers and then just swap them all out at once.

I like the idea of Koni Yellows, a stiffer and lower spring (Eibach is looking good), and 034 camber top mounts. OR ST-X coilovers, with 034 top mounts. OR BC coilovers. Or forgo the camber mounts with either of the first two options and save some money.

But, being impatient and loving making hasty decisions, getting rid of the stock wheel gap while maintaining the current shocks is still of interest to me lol.

benpaul

Passed Driver's Ed
As promised:

30mm (1.18in) drop all round on H&R Sport Springs on stock shocks. This GTI has done 49,000kms (30,000 mi).

While I've only had it back a few hours here are my thoughts:

It feels more planted on the road, there is less roll, some potholes/undulations feel better than stock, some feel worse (harsher) but overall it actually feels like the car is happier on what it's driving with.

On some surfaces there is rear bounce, but this is tolerable. At over 110km/h (68mi/h) it doesn't feel as smooth, but is perfectly fine.

The drop isn't too much I have to drive really carefully, but it's a good look. I still believe in about a year or so if I still have this GTI that the shocks will be done to reduce bounce - but let's see how this goes for now...

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
Personally if you’re not doing the labor yourself, I’d hold off on the springs and just go coilovers. Way better ride as the strut/shock is matched to the spring rate. I’ve driven on H&R and Eibach lowering springs and hey can’t compare with a decent to good coilover. People who say otherwise have never driven with coilovers, plus the adjustability it makes it a no brainer in my opinion. I have BC Racing on mine and they are great. Maybe not the best if you’re going to make your car into a track beast but for street and the occasional HPDE, they’re very good.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
And as far as ride quality goes, I'm definitely not opposed to stiffer. I'm not into mismatching the shocks and springs and quickly blowing out the shock and crashing through the stroke and smashing into bottom out. Or bouncing down the road (been there done that... high school decisions :rolleyes:). However, I don't mind the jiggliness and harshness off a stiff suspension. And I'm certainly well aware of driving a lowered car on the lovely roads of Jersey and PA. As much as I hated the mushy, pillowy feel of the stock Golf suspension, I didn't miss always being on the lookout of what to avoid!

Sandman - that looks just about perfect! Ideally the drop I'd shoot for on coilovers or proper shocks. Out of curiosity (and laziness), what shocks are you running and how do you rate the ride? Don't worry, I'm gearing up to dive into your build thread!

I will be doing the work myself. Should be more fun not dealing with bolts that have seen 10+ Northeast winters! Part of me wants the project of breaking down the suspension, the other part wants to assemble new shocks/springs/top mounts or coilovers and then just swap them all out at once.

I like the idea of Koni Yellows, a stiffer and lower spring (Eibach is looking good), and 034 camber top mounts. OR ST-X coilovers, with 034 top mounts. OR BC coilovers. Or forgo the camber mounts with either of the first two options and save some money.

But, being impatient and loving making hasty decisions, getting rid of the stock wheel gap while maintaining the current shocks is still of interest to me lol.

I have OE DCC shocks.
56,000 miles on them and so far OK.
Many lowering springs in the 1" range are made to work with OE shocks.
But if you have non DCC likely a good time to update shock as cost is not super high. DCC OE or now Bilstein are in the $400-$500 range - each. DCC shocks seem to do well. I have rarely heard of issues but most cars are still newish.
With my Eibach Pro Kit the DCC settings all still work well. All setting became that much tighter. Comfort is more like normal before. Body roll in am settings is less. In sport the car remains flat. This is with Eibach sway bar also.

am215

Ready to race!
has there been any feedback on APR springs? they are supposed to be <1" drop.

I have VWR w/ stock shocks and after 40k miles with this setup I am looking to make a change next spring. going with Koni yellows and am debating between eibach pro kit (euro) and APR as I am looking for a little less of a drop than what I have now.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
^ from what I've seen the APR springs lower much more than advertised. Closer to 1.1" in some cases.

I'd recommend the Eibach's, but curious why you chose the linear over the progressive?

am215

Ready to race!
I guess with the Koni yellows I could go with the linear version, not sure if there is a benefit/drawback when using an aftermarket damper that can better deal with a lowering spring as compared to stock.

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
benpaul - that looks great! Enjoy it!!

For me, I feel like the smart money is saving up for coilovers/shocks springs, but the urge to tinker is real! And wheel gap makes me sad lol. Some great I info in here!

Sandman/other gurus, are the DCC shocks more robust than the non-adjustable shocks? Based off the data so far I’d assume yes, but 56k miles on stock shocks and that drop is very enticing...

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
benpaul - that looks great! Enjoy it!!

For me, I feel like the smart money is saving up for coilovers/shocks springs, but the urge to tinker is real! And wheel gap makes me sad lol. Some great I info in here!

Sandman/other gurus, are the DCC shocks more robust than the non-adjustable shocks? Based off the data so far I’d assume yes, but 56k miles on stock shocks and that drop is very enticing...

Can not say 100% that DCC last longer but I recently talked to a 30 year Master Mechanic about some work and he suggested replacing shocks while suspension is apart but once he heard I have DCC he said, then he would not change out.
I do not think this means 100% that DCC are better but more like the cost to replace a DCC shock is high enough that the thought is to run to failure. Non DCC shocks are low enough on cost that changing while apart is and easier decision.

benpaul

Passed Driver's Ed
Had my first long drive yesterday. Handling was pretty good but there certainly is a bit of bounce, it also feels as if the rear is a little on its own out the back and needs some planting down.

So - the natural advice would be new shocks and rear sway bar?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Can not say 100% that DCC last longer but I recently talked to a 30 year Master Mechanic about some work and he suggested replacing shocks while suspension is apart but once he heard I have DCC he said, then he would not change out.
I do not think this means 100% that DCC are better but more like the cost to replace a DCC shock is high enough that the thought is to run to failure. Non DCC shocks are low enough on cost that changing while apart is and easier decision.

MSS Kits in their development mentioned that there is more stroke in the DCC shocks so they can take a minimal drop with no real stress.

I read the numbers and their synopsis somewhere.

Of course they are motivated to portray this so proceed with caution.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Personally if you’re not doing the labor yourself, I’d hold off on the springs and just go coilovers. Way better ride as the strut/shock is matched to the spring rate. I’ve driven on H&R and Eibach lowering springs and hey can’t compare with a decent to good coilover. People who say otherwise have never driven with coilovers, plus the adjustability it makes it a no brainer in my opinion. I have BC Racing on mine and they are great. Maybe not the best if you’re going to make your car into a track beast but for street and the occasional HPDE, they’re very good.

I disagree that a separately matched spring+shock set can't be as good as a coilover in terms of "ride". I'd argue many people with co end up putting it at a ~1" drop with slightly firmer on the shocks and never touch it again. Waste of money for us regular non track / autox drivers.

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
Mostly out of curiosity and laziness, anyone have any experiences with Vogtland coilovers?

Nervous about ST rusting out in the Northeast. Non-adjustable Vogtland's are at a pretty nice pricepoint, though I did *possibly* find a link for the adjustable versions for about $200 more which is at the upper end of the budget, but reasonable. Would still need top mounts and strut bearings which add to the cost though...

BC's are always in my mind, but after reading countless other threads about "cheap Taiwanese coils", I may be affected by the snobbery from the bimmer guys lol. I also change my mind daily between mild springs, shocks and springs, and full on coilovers. Luckily winter is coming so I won't have much of any motivation do get under the car for a few more months haha.

Appreciate the input guys. Definitely gives some food for thought!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I think the Eibach Euro kit are going to be too bouncy/floaty on the stock shocks. They require a certain amount of rebound damping increase on the Koni yellows to feel controlled, which I don't think the stock shocks will provide. If staying with stock shocks I believe progressive springs like the H&R are going to be a better match, but I don't have any first hand experience with that setup to back that up.

With the euro Eibach's and Koni sports, you will get some jiggliness and harshness you mentioned. There is very little undulation of the suspension, it's one and done on dips and bumps, but the suspension moves fast and you'll feel that. These springs are stiff enough that I have never bottomed out on the front bump stops that I am aware of, but I have pretty good roads here in NC. I trimmed the rear bumps to allow for a bit more travel, not sure if it made any difference.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Mostly out of curiosity and laziness, anyone have any experiences with Vogtland coilovers?

Nervous about ST rusting out in the Northeast. Non-adjustable Vogtland's are at a pretty nice pricepoint, though I did *possibly* find a link for the adjustable versions for about $200 more which is at the upper end of the budget, but reasonable. Would still need top mounts and strut bearings which add to the cost though...

Vogtlands will have similar (if not identical) construction/material as the ST's as they are eerily similar....so they'd rust too