GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help problem w/ brakes

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Re calipers, either that's a coating failure, or they were pressure washed, or they experienced extreme temperature under braking. But VW don't warrant the cosmetic appearance of braking components, with the sole exception of the painted ones on the GTi and R. The rest are only lightly coated so they look good in the showroom.

The discs themselves will always rust a little is they get wet, they are pretty much just mild steel as it provides the best braking capability. Any surface rust on the disks will wear off very quickly while driving.

Last edited:

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Re calipers, either that's a coating failure, or they were pressure washed, or they experienced extreme temperature under braking. But VW don't warrant the cosmetic appearance of braking components, with the sole exception of the painted ones on the GTi and R. The rest are only lightly coated so they look good in the showroom.

The discs themselves will always rust a little is they get wet, they are pretty much just mild steel as it provides the best braking capability. Any surface rust on the disks will wear off very quickly while driving.

No level of driving, or cleaning for that matter, should cause anything like that within 4-7 month of buying a brand new car. Actually they do cover cosmetics, if your tailpipe chrome has come off as it has on mine they'll cover it...its the reason for a bumper to bumper warranty, to cover any manufacture flaws, errors, or oversights that result in your car not appearing or running as it reasonably should within that time frame. That's my understanding....

GeoBog

Ready to race!
I have the 2015 Golf SEL 1.8T TSI (top of the Golf line) and btw the Golf SEL and the GTI (non PP) have basically the exact same calipers, except mine are painted silver and GTI's are painted red, so not sure how that would make any difference?

It's not really the same type of paint. The GTI red calipers are painted with high temp. glossy caliper paint while the standard silver paint is just a base coat, sort of like a primer which doesn't last much.
I understand your frustration however doubt that most VW dealers would replace your calipers for this unless they have a mechanical issue. Maybe you're lucky and find a really good and friendly dealer which will paint them for you to look like new. It was exactly the same issue here in the UK with the rear rotor hubs getting rusty after 6-7 months and the dealers would not touch them because it is not a mechanical issue, just a cosmetic one.

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
It's not really the same type of paint. The GTI red calipers are painted with high temp. glossy caliper paint while the standard silver paint is just a base coat, sort of like a primer which doesn't last much.

I understand your frustration however doubt that most VW dealers would replace your calipers for this unless they have a mechanical issue. Maybe you're lucky and find a really good and friendly dealer which will paint them for you to look like new. It was exactly the same issue here in the UK with the rear rotor hubs getting rusty after 6-7 months and the dealers would not touch them because it is not a mechanical issue, just a cosmetic one.

Thanks for the insight...I didn't know that, why in the f would they not paint them properly, it's insane. I could kind of tell from the fronts looks like the "primer" or whatever is wearing off and the rears obviously have worn off and rusted. Btw that's the dumbest bullshit I've ever heard though lol. Let's put a "primer" (a non protective coat over a part that is constantly wet and is shown at all times through the space in the wheels...look at my brand new car guys, oh that rust on the brakes, that comes standard [emoji106]) coat on some brake calipers. You know they almost never get wet, or run through puddles, etc...I mean the back two look so f'n bad through my wheels it's pathetic and little BS oversights for the consumer like this are starting to really piss me off w/ VW. It's like oh here's your "high quality German Automobile" (insert snobby accent) but as soon as it drives off the lot things may, how do you say' ehhhh look like shit!

Last edited:

milancito8172

Are you by any chance using spray on wheel cleaner... I had same problem with 2012 after using wheel cleaner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Zach L

VR junkie
I have not seen a modern VW with rusty calipers except maybe a tiny bit of corrosion around the piston seal itself or the pins if a boot is torn but not the caliper body which is visible from outside when mounted. Could you post some pictures?
The reason you haven't seen rust is because Volkswagen switched from using steel calipers on the mk3 and earlier cars to aluminum calipers on the mk4+ cars. It's a common modification to swap the aluminum calipers from the mk4 onto the mk3 as both calipers are the identical other than what they're made of. Reason is because the steel calipers will rust and they seize, especially in the rear. Super common problem. Also, steel is heavier than aluminum and all of that is unsprung weight.

Now starting with the mk6, Volkswagen has been cutting costs and making everything cheaper and cheaper. Like the solid rear axle beam, drum brakes and hard plastic dash they started putting in the mk6 Jetta. Such a downgrade. The mk5 Golfs had aluminum chassis and suspension components, now you look under the Golfs and it's all stamped steel and cast iron.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but the OP's pics clearly show to me that VW has regressed back to steel calipers of the mk3 and earlier cars. If that's the case, what a shame. Enthusiasts and weekend wrenchers notice stuff like this and it ultimate reflects how they see the brand. Cheap, cheap, cheap!!

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Are you by any chance using spray on wheel cleaner... I had same problem with 2012 after using wheel cleaner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Using Griots Garage Wheel Cleaner, which actually is a mild yet effective cleanser. Why? Does everyone not use a wheel cleaner to clean their wheels?

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
The reason you haven't seen rust is because Volkswagen switched from using steel calipers on the mk3 and earlier cars to aluminum calipers on the mk4+ cars. It's a common modification to swap the aluminum calipers from the mk4 onto the mk3 as both calipers are the identical other than what they're made of. Reason is because the steel calipers will rust and they seize, especially in the rear. Super common problem. Also, steel is heavier than aluminum and all of that is unsprung weight.

Now starting with the mk6, Volkswagen has been cutting costs and making everything cheaper and cheaper. Like the solid rear axle beam, drum brakes and hard plastic dash they started putting in the mk6 Jetta. Such a downgrade. The mk5 Golfs had aluminum chassis and suspension components, now you look under the Golfs and it's all stamped steel and cast iron.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but the OP's pics clearly show to me that VW has regressed back to steel calipers of the mk3 and earlier cars. If that's the case, what a shame. Enthusiasts and weekend wrenchers notice stuff like this and it ultimate reflects how they see the brand. Cheap, cheap, cheap!!

Did not know that, thanks for your post....

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Using Griots Garage Wheel Cleaner, which actually is a mild yet effective cleanser. Why? Does everyone not use a wheel cleaner to clean their wheels?

I use the same soap on the body and the wheels.
Snow foam. Mellon sent.
I learned the lesson on one of our last cars with clear coat wheels.
No brake cleaner or wheel cleaner.
My new wheels I waxed before mounting. When I clean and store my OE wheels I will wax them also after cleaning.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R

A lot of wheel cleaners don't react well to painted surfaces on a lot of modern wheels and brakes. Do a quick Google search and you'll see lots of people posting about ruining their wheels.

If you've been scrubbing the brakes with it you may have taken the paint off your calipers (the rust looks like it's in the areas that would be easiest to reach) and that wouldn't be covered. Get the g2 kit and paint the calipers and be done.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...88969&ef_id=Vx7-3gAAAArmlwbO:20160426054254:s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spielwurfel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 2014
My MK7 TSI is 1 year and 5 months old, with 32.000 Km on it and there's absolutely no sign of rust anywhere, neither on the rotors.

When we're talking about rotors, I know it's more common to have rust, but on the calipers I think it's absolutely not normal.

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
A lot of wheel cleaners don't react well to painted surfaces on a lot of modern wheels and brakes. Do a quick Google search and you'll see lots of people posting about ruining their wheels.

If you've been scrubbing the brakes with it you may have taken the paint off your calipers (the rust looks like it's in the areas that would be easiest to reach) and that wouldn't be covered. Get the g2 kit and paint the calipers and be done.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...88969&ef_id=Vx7-3gAAAArmlwbO:20160426054254:s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
when I say I was scrubbing, that wasn't with the wheel cleaners, no scrubbing or scouring any surface improperly. I did quite a bit of research before I started messing about on my calipers. And btw when I mentioned wheel cleaner I just meant as in when I was my car bi-monthly I will use that Griots Garage wheel cleaner on the OEM wheels (which does a great job and works perfectly with the finish on our wheels) not on the calipers, rotors and the like. Those pictures aren't the result of messing up the paint, or the coating on the calipers, those pictures are of the paint/coating failing and causing that level of rust to the calipers and carriers. Just sayin' [emoji6]

My MK7 TSI is 1 year and 5 months old, with 32.000 Km on it and there's absolutely no sign of rust anywhere, neither on the rotors.

When we're talking about rotors, I know it's more common to have rust, but on the calipers I think it's absolutely not normal.
yeah I've noticed that once in a while when my car hasn't moved (been driven) for a few days and if it rains, I'll notice some rust build up on the rotors. That usually goes away after a nice drive [emoji106]

But yeah the calipers...no, they should never look as mine do, especially a car that has just reached its first b-day! Not even after several years should modern surfaces rust and oxidize like that.

I mean in my situation it's not too hard to figure out, the paint, or coating, or both failed (it's in different stages on the fronts and backs-its in process of failing on the fronts and well into failure on the rears) and rusty calipers are the result. I go in tomorrow for my 20K service and to have these issues + a few others addressed, so fingers crossed. [emoji6]