GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help problem w/ brakes

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
What about on the calipers themselves? My rear calipers are quite rusty and the fronts are slightly oxidized, all 4 have not held up to the minimum to what I'd expect for a nearly brand new car. Has anyone else had issues with their calipers, discs and/or pads? Help!!

Edit: car is now 11 months old btw, issue has been there for 7 months. Ive tried cleaning, I used mild wire brush to try to remove rust and finally gave up. Think it's ridiculous that I paid $30k for a car that has rusting and oxidized brand new calipers. It's 2016, nothing the eye can see on a car should be anything but perfect.

Last edited:

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
The rust on the rotors was a little off-putting for me. I know that it's supposed to be a common thing, but I can't say that I expected to see it on a brand new car.

Konnichi

mine get that surface rust after a rain storm or after i wash them. One drive later and they look fine till water hits them again. I think the dealer told me the pads are ceramic which are hard on the rotors but help you stop quicker. Mine developed a grove pattern after about 1,000 miles and has stayed the same ever since.

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
I have not seen a modern VW with rusty calipers except maybe a tiny bit of corrosion around the piston seal itself or the pins if a boot is torn but not the caliper body which is visible from outside when mounted. Could you post some pictures?

GeoBog

Ready to race!
What about on the calipers themselves? My rear calipers are quite rusty and the fronts are slightly oxidized, all 4 have not held up to the minimum to what I'd expect for a nearly brand new car. Has anyone else had issues with their calipers, discs and/or pads? Help!!

Edit: car is now 11 months old btw, issue has been there for 7 months. Ive tried cleaning, I used mild wire brush to try to remove rust and finally gave up. Think it's ridiculous that I paid $30k for a car that has rusting and oxidized brand new calipers. It's 2016, nothing the eye can see on a car should be anything but perfect.

It would be useful to know what car you got. If it's a standard Golf then it is probably common thing to rust as the calipers are not greatly painted/protected against rust/corrosion. If you've got a GTI then I would raise it with your dealer as this is not normal for painted calipers to rust in 7 months.

Rust around the rotor hubs seems to also be common to these cars, especially the rear ones. I have painted mine with Hammerite a couple months back.

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Picture so we can see and make sure what you are seeing.
My bad Sandman, here you go...here's the right rear
Left rear-which is f'n ridiculous!
Left front
and last but not least, right front
None of these and I repeat NONE OF THESE calipers (especially the rear sets) should have anywhere near that level of rust developing after 4-6 months of owning a brand new German car-any car actually. No excuse other than shitty workmanship by whomever made these calipers. I take exceptional care of my car since day one and things like this just show how many corners they're cutting...

And just an example to the level at which I care for my car, so it wasn't neglect, or what other BS excuse some member comes up with lol

The rust on the rotors was a little off-putting for me. I know that it's supposed to be a common thing, but I can't say that I expected to see it on a brand new car.
I'm the same way...I mean really? These companies don't have a rust free coating for their rotors? Of course they do!

My rotors were warped within 12k miles. Resurfaced under warranty.
I'm wondering if that's an issue I have because when breaking, especially from bout 50 or 40-20 mph It doesn't feel right, get a wobble-ish feeling. Plus when accelerating around the same lower speeds (really noticeable from 15-40 mph, give or take) I get a slight wobble, can feel it in the pedal then when I apply brakes it feels not right.

I have not seen a modern VW with rusty calipers except maybe a tiny bit of corrosion around the piston seal itself or the pins if a boot is torn but not the caliper body which is visible from outside when mounted. Could you post some pictures?
Here ya go my friend, a heavy dose of rust on a brake caliper [emoji20] it's been that bad for quite awhile. When I called my sales guy (first mistake) he said yeah don't worry they all do it. I said really? I've had many cars and I've never had one where the calipers rust. He said this is your first VW right? I said yeah, he said well, see....wow.

I did it I did it, geez lay off man lol [emoji6]

It would be useful to know what car you got. If it's a standard Golf then it is probably common thing to rust as the calipers are not greatly painted/protected against rust/corrosion. If you've got a GTI then I would raise it with your dealer as this is not normal for painted calipers to rust in 7 months.

Rust around the rotor hubs seems to also be common to these cars, especially the rear ones. I have painted mine with Hammerite a couple months back.
I have the 2015 Golf SEL 1.8T TSI (top of the Golf line) and btw the Golf SEL and the GTI (non PP) have basically the exact same calipers, except mine are painted silver and GTI's are painted red, so not sure how that would make any difference?

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Not too bad.
Currently looks like surface rust.
I am not best for info on this part but the calipers can be removed, pads take. Out and caliper cleaner and painted with high temp paid to color you like. This will help.
Disc can also be cleaned and painted silver (center hub). High temp paint also.
Then grease lightly other exposed metal except the pad surface
Of the disc. Try one corner first to see best way to do it.
Might take a couple weekends unless you can jack up all 4 and do at once and leave over night to dry. Others might have more and better info.

Last edited:

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Not to bad.
Currently looks like surface rust.
I am not best for info on this part but the calipers can be removed, pads take. Out and caliper cleaner and painted with high temp paid to color you like. This will help.
Disc can also be cleaned and painted silver (center hub). High temp paint also.
Then grease lightly other exposed metal except the pad surface
Of the disc. Try one corner first to see best way to do it.
Might take a couple weekends unless you can jack up all 4 and do at once and leave over night to dry. Others might have more and better info.

Yeah but should I have to? I mean really I should take my f'n brakes apart, clean em, recondition em, paint em, etc? Lol ha ha I just paid a lot of money for a brand new German car, should get a little over 5 months till my brakes rust to hell....And pic 2 that rust is a lot more than surface, as I mentioned in OP I scrubbed, scoured, etc and that's the best they'd come. I think VW owes me new calipers [emoji6]

And btw no offense Sandman I appreciate your suggestions mate [emoji106]

Last edited:

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Thanks all for any input btw, wasn't trying to be rude by any means. Just getting a bit tired of these things happening w/ my car. Silly shit really and though I love my car and I've had zero serious problems, it's the little bs and the service techs that have been more trouble than it's worth...

J.M.Phillips