GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

hobbyjumper

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI APR Stage-II
Bought the B version for 2017 GTI S, got it for 525 (tax included) and installed for 150 at dealer (2 hour install and program), but I guess when renting dongle for 35 it came out to 115 install?

Night and day difference! Even with bass turned off, the amp really makes those speakers clear and loud.

However i notice that after raising volume at 50%+ noise/sound does not increase more, like it maxes out at 50% (but still clear at 100%) I find it weird, but at 50% its way louder (and clearer) than 100% before install.

bubba92103

Two quick questions. I received both a Match PP 52DSP and the original Helix Amp by mistake. I'm assuming the Match PP 52DSP is a little nicer and won't require programming (though I do currently have the dongle with me as well) so I was going to install that unless someone recommends otherwise?

My two questions are: 1) if I'm primarily going to be playing audio through Android Auto off the headunit I assume I need to connect this rig to the headunit instead of the glovebox CD player as shown in the YouTube videos. 2) Does anyone have a video of how I will run the wires to the headunit? Or at least removing the trim so I have an idea of how to wiggle them through?

Anything else I need to be on the lookout for with this setup?

Thanks!

This is my first DIY and while I have all the tools to make it easier I feel a little overwhelmed but I'm going to give it a go.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Two quick questions. I received both a Match PP 52DSP and the original Helix Amp by mistake. I'm assuming the Match PP 52DSP is a little nicer and won't require programming (though I do currently have the dongle with me as well) so I was going to install that unless someone recommends otherwise?

My two questions are: 1) if I'm primarily going to be playing audio through Android Auto off the headunit I assume I need to connect this rig to the headunit instead of the glovebox CD player as shown in the YouTube videos. 2) Does anyone have a video of how I will run the wires to the headunit? Or at least removing the trim so I have an idea of how to wiggle them through?

Anything else I need to be on the lookout for with this setup?

Thanks!

This is my first DIY and while I have all the tools to make it easier I feel a little overwhelmed but I'm going to give it a go.

Two completely different things you have going there.

If you purchased the complete VW Helix sub setup, it's designed for our cars and you setup and program based on the instructions in the thread. If you only have the amp from that kit...well that's going to be a lot of DIY and would still install the same way but I don't know I'd bother for the work it would require. The main benefit of this system (sub, amp, harness, etc.) is that it is 100% plug and play to a non-Fender MIB1 and 2 stereo.

The Match DSP is nicer and has significantly more features and adjustment, but comes 100% unprogrammed or tuned. That unit would need someone to adjust for your car and setup to get the same results as a programmed Helix.

If you can clarify a bit what you purchased and what your end goal is that would help, but from your post it sounds like you might have went in the wrong direction twice.

bubba92103

Two completely different things you have going there.

If you purchased the complete VW Helix sub setup, it's designed for our cars and you setup and program based on the instructions in the thread. If you only have the amp from that kit...well that's going to be a lot of DIY and would still install the same way but I don't know I'd bother for the work it would require. The main benefit of this system (sub, amp, harness, etc.) is that it is 100% plug and play to a non-Fender MIB1 and 2 stereo.

The Match DSP is nicer and has significantly more features and adjustment, but comes 100% unprogrammed or tuned. That unit would need someone to adjust for your car and setup to get the same results as a programmed Helix.

If you can clarify a bit what you purchased and what your end goal is that would help, but from your post it sounds like you might have went in the wrong direction twice.

Okay so let's say I stick with the stock Helix and do the DIY install. Do I still need to install to the headunit to get what I'm going for (playing music via Android Auto)? Or can I install to the glovebox CD thing and still have the same functionality?

Again I'm a little nervous about doing a headunit install without a YouTube video to meticulously follow so if that's the direction I need to go and someone can inspire some confidence in me that'd be great.

Thanks

bubba92103

Okay so let's say I stick with the stock Helix and do the DIY install. Do I still need to install to the headunit to get what I'm going for (playing music via Android Auto)? Or can I install to the glovebox CD thing and still have the same functionality?

Again I'm a little nervous about doing a headunit install without a YouTube video to meticulously follow so if that's the direction I need to go and someone can inspire some confidence in me that'd be great.

Thanks

Also to clarify purchase I have the non-B Helix subwoofer thing, the matching Helix amp (with port for dongle), the dongle itself, the cables (lots of colors wrapped in black casing), a circular thing, a replacement bolt, wire terminal removal tools, radio removal steel prong things, and trim removal tools. I sure hope I don't need much else!!!

In addition I have this Match PP 52DSP that I assume I should return at this point as I don't want to pay for tuning if I'm going to be going through the hassle of a DIY install.

Thanks

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The head unit is in the glove box. The screen (where your Android auto is controlled) is just how you interact with it. If you are installing the helix you can just follow the YouTube video. There is nothing to connect to behind the screen. It's all in the glove box.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

bubba92103

The head unit is in the glove box. The screen (where your Android auto is controlled) is just how you interact with it. If you are installing the helix you can just follow the YouTube video. There is nothing to connect to behind the screen. It's all in the glove box.

Okay sweet that's great news!

Last few questions. Before I give up on the Match PP 52DSP is it really going to be that hard to program? It seems like the tuner available for the Match PP*62*DSP for the 5-door Golf VII can't be too far off from the specifications of the 2016 GTI S.

I'm assuming on Audiotech-Fischer's website that the Golf GTI is the Golf VII with 5-doors listed on their website and as pictured here: https://i.imgur.com/QMB9ZBf.png

I'm a little nervous to install this stock Helix thing if I can only adjust it while renting the dongle. With the Match PP 52DSP it seems I could connect my PC as necessary to make adjustments if need be.

I'm also unclear if the Match PP 52DSP will require its own Plug and Play harness as pictured here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tVgIjxZRvo

Or whether I can do the same thing as shown for the Helix install videos in this thread.

Basically is it really going to be that much of a hassle to make the Match PP 52DSP work?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The question is really how much you want to adjust your sound. I would assume the harness available from Match is functionally (if not physically) the same as the one that comes with the Helix.

It taps into the power going to the head unit. It takes the speaker output from the head unit, applies equalization/time correction then sends that back through your factory wiring. Completely reversible. All of which you probably know.

The tuning for the Helix has already been performed for different VW applications (57 for the 4 door Golf). It is tuned for the space and more importantly (in my opinion) for the stock speakers in the car.

If you intend to upgrade speakers the Match may be a better choice. Also you can't "adjust" the Helix with the dongle. You can try the programming for different vehicles to see if you prefer how it sounds. Most seem to settle on the programming intended for the Golf.

If you're the type that would tune until you "get it right" and stop the Helix will probably satisfy you. If you tend to tinker forever the Helix flat out doesn't allow it.

bubba92103

The question is really how much you want to adjust your sound. I would assume the harness available from Match is functionally (if not physically) the same as the one that comes with the Helix.

It taps into the power going to the head unit. It takes the speaker output from the head unit, applies equalization/time correction then sends that back through your factory wiring. Completely reversible. All of which you probably know.

The tuning for the Helix has already been performed for different VW applications (57 for the 4 door Golf). It is tuned for the space and more importantly (in my opinion) for the stock speakers in the car.

If you intend to upgrade speakers the Match may be a better choice. Also you can't "adjust" the Helix with the dongle. You can try the programming for different vehicles to see if you prefer how it sounds. Most seem to settle on the programming intended for the Golf.

If you're the type that would tune until you "get it right" and stop the Helix will probably satisfy you. If you tend to tinker forever the Helix flat out doesn't allow it.

Thanks that was super informative and helpful!

I highly doubt I'm the type to tinker with much at all, seeing as the idea of this installation alone seems a little overwhelming.

However, it seems like not much of a gamble to assume that the sound setup provided on Audiotec-Fischer's website for the Match PP 62DSP (52DSP isn't listed) for a 5-door Golf VII and their very similar to the Helix subwoofer in the PP 7S-D has got to be a pretty similar setup to the programming of the Helix tuned for Golf VII, right?

In which case it seems I'll get the best of both worlds by sticking with the Match without any additional hassle as all it takes is sticking that downloaded sound setup onto a microSD card and then putting that card in the Match Amp.

Anyways I'll try the Match and post to let folks know how decent it sounds and then just unplug that amp and try the Helix before shipping one back so everyone knows if the sound and setup is really that different for either one.

Thanks!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I didn't notice a difference with mine.

But quick check is to pop the radio out, disconnect the colored connectors, I believe white is for the FM antenna but may as well check them all. There are little pins on the radio side, make sure nothing is bent.

Reconnect and try the radio before pushing it back in. I had to "test fit" a few times before I got it to slide all the way in and lock with no resistance. If it doesn't go in smoothly you might be stressing the antenna connection causing your issue.

bubba92103

Okay I did the install with the stock Helix amp and it sounds better (I think) but I'm getting a low electrical buzz whenever I play music. It goes away as soon as I stop playing music so it's not constant. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot that noise?

Thanks!

copperbricks

Ready to race!
If I remember from my install, on one end of the wiring harness there's something you have to attach to chassis ground. Irc if you don't do that you'll end up with buzzing

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
If I remember from my install, on one end of the wiring harness there's something you have to attach to chassis ground. Irc if you don't do that you'll end up with buzzing

The harness that came with my Helix did not require as separate attachment to ground, nor provided one. It utilized the stock ground wire going to the infotainment unit, and ran the ground all the way to the amp via the harness.