GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
Nope, it didn’t have a foam insert there. I reseated everything and made sure it was tight. Just in case, I put a piece of cardboard between the wire harness and the spare tire since it is coming in between the floor and the tire, then through a hole in the wheel up into the plug of the amp.

Re-centered the wheel and the helix as well. If it still squeaks, I’ll try putting something to cushion the plastic nut

AndroidMercury

Car(s)
2019 GTI S
For those with the dongle - does it power on instantly if you plug it into any powered Ethernet port? I bought a dongle but it doesn't turn on when I plug it into my helix (with key turned on), and it also doesn't turn on when I plug it into a PoE port on my router to test it. Tried a couple different cables. Any with a dongle able to test that out for me? Thanks

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Where can I buy a Helix subwoofer in the UK , I cant seem to find any or used for that matter ,
I can't speak to the UK but it took me a few years of on and off searching Facebook for a used one to show up near me.
You can currently buy them Volkswagen Canada (Virtual Counter) for above 800$ CAD. I believe US dealers still have them available online as well.
Check your local dealer, or make a habit of checking Facebook Marketplace on the regular.

tristanr

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I tried to adjust the subwoofer gain on the DSP and broke the knob.. by trying not to strip the head i pushed too hard and it busted open .. Now i’m praying audiotec-fischer is willing to repair or send me a replacement potentiometer. :cry: There is zero output from the sub now.

Attachments

• IMG_4855.jpeg
    IMG_4855.jpeg
    777.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

AndroidMercury

Car(s)
2019 GTI S
It immediately powers on when plugged into the unit. It runs on the power of the device it's plugged into.
I never tried plugging it into my computer but I can try tonight.
Thanks, I can't get it to turn on through the Helix or through a computer. Think it might just be a bad unit. Real bummer since I had it shipped from Germany and it took 3 weeks.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Thanks, I can't get it to turn on through the Helix or through a computer. Think it might just be a bad unit. Real bummer since I had it shipped from Germany and it took 3 weeks.
Did you check the dongle rental thread?
They are very active so I'm sure you could get on the list. I'm in Canada so I had to buy my own, they don't pass it around across the border to keep it simple.

scaper28

I tried to adjust the subwoofer gain on the DSP and broke the knob.. by trying not to strip the head i pushed too hard and it busted open .. Now i’m praying audiotec-fischer is willing to repair or send me a replacement potentiometer. :cry: There is zero output from the sub now.
Easy to replace that part , it is only a 10k variable resistor and can be bought for under a couple of bucks .

tristanr

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Easy to replace that part , it is only a 10k variable resistor and can be bought for under a couple of bucks .
I’m gonna swing by an electronics repair shop and see if they can do anything for me.. i see some of those 10k ohm variable potentiometers on amazon that might get the system to work but none with the same orientation…but as long as it works ill be happy. Audiotec Fischer said i can ship it to them for repair but shipping quotes to germany is $130-200

Kramerica

Car(s)
2021 GTI SE
I have a 2021 GTI SE and am planning on installing the Helix (on top the spare) in the next few weeks. I bought my car new in May 2021. Sounds fine at lower/normal volumes, but would like a bit more thump and volume. The Helix seems like it will do the trick! And thank you Flipflp and everyone else for this wonderful thread!

- Unless someone can point me in a less expensive direction, I'll order this week from Murrieta.
- Looks like shipping is free until 12/31.
- Will I be able to get the 10% rebate (until 12/31) from this order?

- I think I saw one other person install on a 2021, despite the part not officially working for that model year. I'm not really concerned, but should I be?

- In a previous car, I had installed a switch on the dash to turn my subwoofer on and off. I really enjoyed that feature. Is there any way to install a subwoofer on/off switch or a bass 'level' knob? I know about the dealer demo switch, but I'd like to just turn the bass down easily and not disable the entire Helix setup. I find the controls for getting to the equalizer on the radio to be cumbersome. A physical knob or switch would be much better.

- I listen primarily to SXM Radio direct from satellite, and once in a while high-quality mp3s. Will the SXM be OK with the Helix? Seems like there have been mixed reviews.

Just got the trim, pin removal, and radio removal tools for Christmas this morning. Looking forward to using them!

Thanks everyone, and I'll be sure to post some pictures and a report once I've got it complete. I'll also be renting the dongle too.

Report:

I did order the Helix, long screw, extra nut, jumper, and VW triangle for the hatch from Murrieta just after Christmas. Got the free shipping and the 10% rebate.

It was scheduled to arrive on January 8. That very morning I was involved in an accident due to a red light runner. No injuries, but my red 26,000 mile 2021 GTI SE was deemed a total loss. And then got home to my new subwoofer! And it sat for over two months while I figured out what to get as a replacement vehicle. (Needs: manual transmission, small car, four doors) I tested the 2024 GTI but the new interior (lack of real buttons) is horrible. The 2024 WRX was a strong contender, as it was three years ago. The 2024 Civic Si was a good value. But nothing was as nice as the mk7.5 GTI. I did want a 2021 because of the wireless Android Auto. And I wanted the SE trim level. There were literally only 10-15 for sale nationwide with the 6-speed. But one caught my eye immediately. Cornflower Blue, the color I had originally wanted, and only 4800 miles! I paid a premium for it, but did fly out to California to get it and drive it back home to Wisconsin. I'm loving it again!

After a month of owning it, I found a Saturday to install the Helix. Everything went well. The great information on this thread (thank Flipflp et al) and the great install videos from Kevin RSR made it super easy. No issues getting the trim off or doing any of the wiring. The only thing that was a little difficult was getting all the wiring back into the glovebox. It took me four hours, but I really putted around and took my time.

I did install it on top of my spare tire. Ran the wire through the rim hole; took off the rubber feet. My floor sits right on top of it. I'd say it is not totally flush, but maybe up about an eighth of an inch. Not an issue though, especially with the CarGo trunk mat.

The sound was great right out of the box. So much more bass! Even just at that level it was worth the $500 investment.

I rented the programmer from snobrdrdan. Actually "rented" it twice, since I placed it on order from him the day before my accident. But he was great and was able to cancel the shipment and refund me upon hearing my plight. Just programmed it yesterday with #57 and it is amazing that it sounds even better!

My only "complaint" is that there isn't a remote available so I can have a knob to adjust the bass. Going through the radio screens is a bit cumbersome.

Before I handed over my red GTI to the insurance company, I took everything out that wasn't bolted down. So now I have an extra set of original mats, Monster Mats, spare tire, plastic bolt & nut, cargo cover, jack/tools, key fob, and owner's manual. The only reason I didn't take the trunk floor was to hide what I had taken below. If anyone needs to buy any of those things at a reasonable price, let me know.

I was happy it works well, despite the VW literature saying it would not in a 2021 GTI. Trust this forum!

Attachments

• 20240316_100148.jpg
    20240316_100148.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240413_104122.jpg
    20240413_104122.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240413_142019.jpg
    20240413_142019.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240413_143323.jpg
    20240413_143323.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240108_072804.jpg
    20240108_072804.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Report:

I did order the Helix, long screw, extra nut, jumper, and VW triangle for the hatch from Murrieta just after Christmas. Got the free shipping and the 10% rebate.

It was scheduled to arrive on January 8. That very morning I was involved in an accident due to a red light runner. No injuries, but my red 26,000 mile 2021 GTI SE was deemed a total loss. And then got home to my new subwoofer! And it sat for over two months while I figured out what to get as a replacement vehicle. (Needs: manual transmission, small car, four doors) I tested the 2024 GTI but the new interior (lack of real buttons) is horrible. The 2024 WRX was a strong contender, as it was three years ago. The 2024 Civic Si was a good value. But nothing was as nice as the mk7.5 GTI. I did want a 2021 because of the wireless Android Auto. And I wanted the SE trim level. There were literally only 10-15 for sale nationwide with the 6-speed. But one caught my eye immediately. Cornflower Blue, the color I had originally wanted, and only 4800 miles! I paid a premium for it, but did fly out to California to get it and drive it back home to Wisconsin. I'm loving it again!

After a month of owning it, I found a Saturday to install the Helix. Everything went well. The great information on this thread (thank Flipflp et al) and the great install videos from Kevin RSR made it super easy. No issues getting the trim off or doing any of the wiring. The only thing that was a little difficult was getting all the wiring back into the glovebox. It took me four hours, but I really putted around and took my time.

I did install it on top of my spare tire. Ran the wire through the rim hole; took off the rubber feet. My floor sits right on top of it. I'd say it is not totally flush, but maybe up about an eighth of an inch. Not an issue though, especially with the CarGo trunk mat.

The sound was great right out of the box. So much more bass! Even just at that level it was worth the $500 investment.

I rented the programmer from snobrdrdan. Actually "rented" it twice, since I placed it on order from him the day before my accident. But he was great and was able to cancel the shipment and refund me upon hearing my plight. Just programmed it yesterday with #57 and it is amazing that it sounds even better!

My only "complaint" is that there isn't a remote available so I can have a knob to adjust the bass. Going through the radio screens is a bit cumbersome.

Before I handed over my red GTI to the insurance company, I took everything out that wasn't bolted down. So now I have an extra set of original mats, Monster Mats, spare tire, plastic bolt & nut, cargo cover, jack/tools, key fob, and owner's manual. The only reason I didn't take the trunk floor was to hide what I had taken below. If anyone needs to buy any of those things at a reasonable price, let me know.

I was happy it works well, despite the VW literature saying it would not in a 2021 GTI. Trust this forum!
Not sure you'll have the same results, but I found placing the Helix below the spare made it sound better, tighter. (This is in a GSW, not a short golf).