GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Had my windshield replaced...

cb1111

They ALL do. I've never heard of any dealership who has a "glass guy" in house who does windshield or other glass work - it's always gonna be an outside company.

I had my 2nd windshield replacement done at my dealer because their service department had already proven to be surprisingly competent, and I figured that their contracted glass company probably had plenty of VW experience and since they'd be doing the work right there at the dealership, with OEM glass, would *probably* do a good job. They did not disappoint, the workmanship was perfect. After the previous debacle with Safelite it was a huge relief.
Many dealers contract out to glass companies. On my 2016 golf I took it to the dealer because it had embedded defects from the factory.
The company they used caused paint damage to the outside of my a-pillar, didn’t even install the glass straight, cracked the plastic cowling below the windshield, somehow managed to slice through one of my windshield wipers and damaged both of the rubber strips on either side of the windshield. The car was given back to me in that condition. I was fucking FURIOUS.
There is another reason for going through the dealership and that is to reduce the finger pointing when things go bad. At the dealership, THEY are responsible and you can always escalate to vWoA. Try doing that with the local glass guy.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport, 2019 AT
They ALL do. I've never heard of any dealership who has a "glass guy" in house who does windshield or other glass work - it's always gonna be an outside company.

I had my 2nd windshield replacement done at my dealer because their service department had already proven to be surprisingly competent, and I figured that their contracted glass company probably had plenty of VW experience and since they'd be doing the work right there at the dealership, with OEM glass, would *probably* do a good job. They did not disappoint, the workmanship was perfect. After the previous debacle with Safelite it was a huge relief.
Not all. My buddy who works at BMW as a Senior Master Tech has actually done many windshields, front and rear.

jaystonewee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
Correct, most dealers provide parts with labor from an outside vendor. Like anything else, call around and ask if the dealership has a trusted/quality glass tech. Emich VW in Denver has a good glass tech on call.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
There is another reason for going through the dealership and that is to reduce the finger pointing when things go bad. At the dealership, THEY are responsible and you can always escalate to vWoA. Try doing that with the local glass guy.
Yep, or when the glass guy messes up the cameras and then you end up with them just pointing fingers at each other. It's worth the $ premium just to have one person to blame for any problems.

cb1111

Yep, or when the glass guy messes up the cameras and then you end up with them just pointing fingers at each other. It's worth the $ premium just to have one person to blame for any problems.
Exactly. If you go through insurance then you pay your deductible.