GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Had my windshield replaced...

RobertJG25

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
OEM glass barely costs more than non-OEM, at least that was the case last time I had to replace one a few years ago. If insurance won't pony up for OEM and you really want it, just pay the difference - it should be minor.
Had my windshield replaced twice in 72k miles. Full coverage for aftermarket. I pay out of pocket for OEM. I go with aftermarket. Why pay extra when its going to crack again. Aftermarket is fine.
I would argue that aftermarket might actually be better, my OEM windshield was fairly pitted after 12k kms and I don't even tailgate people. During my daily commute I'm rarely behind anyone at all. A truck carrying some type of stone was several car lengths away and one managed to bounce its way onto my windshield creating a crack. I had it replaced with Fuyao glass (from Speedy Glass, likely the Canadian version of Safelite) and it still looks great after another 30k+ kms of the same type of driving. Minus one pit from a rock I'm assuming would have cracked the oem glass.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I would argue that aftermarket might actually be better, my OEM windshield was fairly pitted after 12k kms and I don't even tailgate people. During my daily commute I'm rarely behind anyone at all. A truck carrying some type of stone was several car lengths away and one managed to bounce its way onto my windshield creating a crack. I had it replaced with Fuyao glass (from Speedy Glass, likely the Canadian version of Safelite) and it still looks great after another 30k+ kms of the same type of driving. Minus one pit from a rock I'm assuming would have cracked the oem glass.
My Safelite wanted like 700$ and dealer wanted around 800+ IICRC, I went to the local side shop and they didn't use enough glue, now when it gets cold my windshield reacts, fun times.

RobertJG25

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
My Safelite wanted like 700$ and dealer wanted around 800+ IICRC, I went to the local side shop and they didn't use enough glue, now when it gets cold my windshield reacts, fun times.
I just had to pay a deductible for my insurer, it was either $300 or $500. How does it react? If they didn't use enough urethane then water will probably find its way in eventually if there was any air bubbles when they applied it

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I just had to pay a deductible for my insurer, it was either $300 or $500. How does it react? If they didn't use enough urethane then water will probably find its way in eventually if there was any air bubbles when they applied it
well i went the cheap route and didn't pay 500 deductible, but when its cold it will make some clanking noises when its warming up

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Rain/Light/Humidity Sensor... 5Q0 955 547 B
Rain (only) Sensor... 5Q0 955 559 B

If the mk7.5 base and rabbit just the rain sensor?

amsr

Ready to race!
My insurance paid for a VW window when I got a crack in 2019. The new VW window was better than the one from the factory. However, our Q5 needed a windshield and we went with FYG for that one. Honestly it’s fine.