GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gti vs R looks

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
The GTI looks special and is an icon, the R looks bland (IMO) and only the double U's on the lights distinguish it from the GTD at a distance. :D

pcr

Ready to race!
For me, the Golf is a good functional, understated design that won't turn any heads, that's the attraction of it. Park it next to another car and chances are, you will notice the other car first, which suits me fine.

Jeremy1976

Ready to race!
Really the only thing to me other than emblems that differentiates them is the exhaust and headlights. And if your getting really technical, the wheels as well.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
GTI.

I think the R looks more like a regular Golf.
As if it's a trim level down, rather than up from the GTI.

We know what it is, so we see it a certain way.
I think if you parked the two cars side by side and had an unknowing person walk around the two and judge them - they'd pick the GTI.

k2nix

Passed Driver's Ed
R no doubt about it.

yall just saying that cause yall own a gti haha
if I could afford a new R, I would go for R than GTI no question

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
I don't care for the GTI bumper/fog light set up. So I like the R and even the Golf front bumper and grill. Just me, and if I bought a GTI the bumper and grill would have to be changed. Along with the Austin wheels :(.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I see what you're saying about the Golf R looking, to the untrained eye, as if it was s trim level BELOW the GTI. However I think the Golf R is marketed to a slightly more mature, slightly older audience than the GTI. The GTI, to me, looks significantly more "boy-racerish" with the lipstick headlights, red brakes, and aggressive front fascia. The Golf R is intended to be less in-your-face, and more of a subtle and conservative look, while still retaining its commanding presence with the upgraded rims, double-U headlights, quad exhaust, and black-painted calipers with R badging. I think the Golf R is significantly nastier (in the most positive sense) than the GTI, and if I had the money, you bet I'd be driving one over a GTI. I think the R is more elegant and respectable, whereas the GTI's styling looks like it's trying a little too hard to act like something it might not necessarily be. All this said, I freaaaking looooooove my GTI inside and out.

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
The R has a more aggressive front end and appears to have the now default German flared nostril front. They are all doing it and some with more success than others, The Golf R looks good to me and better than the GTI in that area. The Double U's looks good and should be on all GTD GTI and R, but it doesn't add anything just differentiates it to its family.

The side view goes to the GTi as I think the lower side on the R just makes it look a little bloated and weighty. The Austins suit the GTi more than the Cadiz suit the R imo. I like the Pretoria's and think they really look good on the R and the better of the OE wheels. The silver door mirrors seems an odd touch but easily corrected if you want too.

The rear? Well it isn't pretty on either the GTI or the R, but smoked rear lights and 4 Exhausts aren't my thing but that doesn't mean it looks bad. Jees the Audi S1 is coming with 4 exhausts so I think we better get used to it I guess.

For me:
R front
GTi side
Rear flip a coin, but for me GTi (just about)

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Golf R = beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and idgaf whether you think i'm beautiful or not

GTI = check me out i'm cool, aren't I?! aren't I?!?!

k2nix

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't know about being marketed for more matured buyers cause for many they all look the same (hatchback)

Price itself tells us more mature/older/or just rich with $$$ will get them.

But it all comes down to personal preference, AWD, Powerful little hatchback who can afford top of the line Golf Family

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
To those who say the GTI has boy racer looks, are you referring to the slits on the bumper that VW used from Porsches design book? The GTI has nothing in terms of boy racer styling compared to its competition, if anything I think 4 huge exhaust tips on a 4cyl screams look at me.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
R no doubt about it.

yall just saying that cause yall own a gti haha
if I could afford a new R, I would go for R than GTI no question

The question said "Which do you think looks better."

Yes, I'd drive an R if I could afford one - well, maybe not - if I had that kind of money, I probably drive something else..

But which looks better to me?
Front end: GTI
Rear: GTI
Wheels: GTI
Overall: GTI

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Over the years we have had 5 Golf GTI:s and now the R. Do I need to say I like GTI…..

We don’t need to argue about which one is most good looking, it’s about the same, we all know the differences. In my case I would gladly ordered GTI but after a test day I decided to go for the R, wanted more performance out of the box compared to my former tuned mk6 GTI.

Gain - When I ordered the R I got rid of the fog lights (GTI) and ended up with double U DRL:s instead. Great swap. I can’t understand the use of fog lights, on all my former cars (VW/Audi/BMW:s) they have been more or less worthless as lights. It’s more a decoration.

Got the Pretorias as an option.

Performance, much better if you compare two cars with standard set up. 4wd.

Loss – I missed the GTI honey-cake grill with the red line, very beautiful! I also got some dirt collecting R-side skirts, nice to look at but as written, collect loads of road dirt in the inner panel. Easy adjustable with a water hose.

Enjoy your GTI or R ;)!

/Peter