GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gti vs R looks

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
So I saw two MK7 R's today (1 at the dealer and the other driving on 95) and I am not impressed with the way they look at all. It only caught my eye because of the blue paint, otherwise I could have easily mistaken it for a TSI if I wasn't very familiar with the golf lineup. Very plain-jane body styling and wheels are ugly. Nothing other than an "R" badge and 4 exhaust tips give the car any attitude from the exterior, I was disappointed.

See?
That's what I say.
We see R because we know it's an R and what it's performance is all about.
But if we didn't know, our minds eye would see a regular Golf.

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
I love black GTIs, to me it's the best looking golf:).

I'm not a speed guy so really the only jelly factor is the 4Motion.

cozinsky

Ready to race!
I agree with some of the comments that for the extra money, one would expect the R to stand out much more than the Gti. There is not much visual difference. In fact, the Gti has a better appeal with the red lining and Austin wheels. The untrained eye will easily confuse the Gti is the higher end model. Also, there is not much more you get in terms of performance. I am happy with my choice of the Gti.

catdog1

Passed Driver's Ed
They should have kept the central double exhaust on the R (maybe a little larger than R32)... the four exhausts in a small hatchback are over the top... Only complaint from look point of view.

cozinsky

Ready to race!
They should have kept the central double exhaust on the R (maybe a little larger than R32)... the four exhausts in a small hatchback are over the top... Only complaint from look point of view.

I agree, it is an overkill! Not even the new Ferrari 488 GTB with a 4.9 litre V8 twin-turbo charged engine which does 0-100km/h under 3 seconds have a double twin exhaust!

chaochaoxp

Passed Driver's Ed
german ftw hahaha i would love to own both..but looks wise ill go with the gti..but i wish it had the two U's the R has..hahaha oem always wins..