GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs Golf R on track

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Non-PP turn off for track. Non--PP with aftermarket LSD leave it on. PP leave it on.

I tracked my non-PP and melted the center caps and front tires got so hot, it transitioned into understeer after 3 laps.
So does the non-pp leave it off statement apply to me being in an A3? My car is basically a golf r drivetrain with slightly longer gearing.

tWat

Ready to race!
What are the mods of your gti vs your r? Like what makes it more well setup

2 way Bilstein adjustables, corner balanced, adjustable rear sway bar and more aggressive alignment. Wavetrac diff, intake and exhaust mods, upgraded intercooler with tuning which helps increase power but also help decrease EGT's. Stoptech ST-40 kit and rear brake upgrades also. Some other little things like swapping out the coolant/water mixture with just straight distilled water with water wetter.

The suspension upgrades along with the diff really help the turn in and reduce understeer on power.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
2 way Bilstein adjustables, corner balanced, adjustable rear sway bar and more aggressive alignment. Wavetrac diff, intake and exhaust mods, upgraded intercooler with tuning which helps increase power but also help decrease EGT's. Stoptech ST-40 kit and rear brake upgrades also. Some other little things like swapping out the coolant/water mixture with just straight distilled water with water wetter.

The suspension upgrades along with the diff really help the turn in and reduce understeer on power.
Oh wow thats a pretty legit setup you have on the R. I didn't think the wavetrac would make such a difference on an AWD. I know putting front lsd's on evo was worse on the track and induced understeer. Would you say thats a worthwhile thing to do on my A3?

tWat

Ready to race!
Oh wow thats a pretty legit setup you have on the R. I didn't think the wavetrac would make such a difference on an AWD. I know putting front lsd's on evo was worse on the track and induced understeer. Would you say thats a worthwhile thing to do on my A3?

Those are the mods on the GTI I sold to my brother and not my R. My R is near stock.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Those are the mods on the GTI I sold to my brother and not my R. My R is near stock.
Oh duh I'm confused as hell my bad. Still though thats a well setup track/street car. I wonder what kinda time you would have in the R with those mods

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Note also that the biggest advantage the R has is when it's wet! Corner entry and braking will be similar (minus the extra weight, weight balance differences, etc.), but the R will make up TONS of time at corner exit.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, C63S AMG

Hmmm... I guess your suggestion would be for me to get a GTI vs the R? But based on your description of your prepped Mk7 GTI, it almost feels like I should just get the adjustable coil overs and wavetrack LSD for my Stage 2 Mk6 and call it a day? It would certainly be cheaper.

But I wouldn't have the:
  1. Newer infotainment screen (I just realized the GTI doesn't have a full LED dash like the Golf R)
  2. Bigger brakes - I don't see myself ever spending on a BBK
  3. DCC adjustable suspension - I would otherwise have to spend $2000 on adjustable STA coilovers for my Mk6
I like the idea of changing suspension settings on the fly and the new infotainment/stereo.

Did you have the DCC in your R or GTI? Were you able to appreciate the difference between Sport, Normal and Comfort?

tWat

Ready to race!
Hmmm... I guess your suggestion would be for me to get a GTI vs the R? But based on your description of your prepped Mk7 GTI, it almost feels like I should just get the adjustable coil overs and wavetrack LSD for my Stage 2 Mk6 and call it a day? It would certainly be cheaper.

Did you have the DCC in your R or GTI? Were you able to appreciate the difference between Sport, Normal and Comfort?

Yeah, I would a GTI over an R and also recommend you work with what you have already. I have DCC on the R and I always have it on comfort. The modes are noticeable changes but comfort is fine for me on the street and track.

tWat

Ready to race!
You're no fun and it almost seems like you're talking to my wife. ;)

Maybe I'm channeling my wife's good financial sense who is heavily involved with my track support. But honestly the performance gap between the MK6 to MK7 will be nothing compared to experience and improving your driving skill. Becoming a better driver could be the difference between 10-20 seconds on a given track but the performance difference between the two models is not that wide when considering dollar for dollar spent.

tWat

Ready to race!
Also, I own quite a few modified cars including a track prepped EVO 8, unlimited class modded C6 Z06 and a na miata built to spec miata class. I've always concurrently owned VW's and have had almost every generation of Golf as they are such a great all around car and if not over modified with a ton of power can be reliable and more than competitive.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Depends on the track(s) you attend. A dedicated track car will be set-up differently than a street / everyday car.
Is AWD appealing when going up against FWD drivers? Is a FWD more engaging?
Subtle weight differntiation can be mitigated with lighter wheels in order to gain back what you lose in overall curb weight.
Modify for cooling and suspension and you're good.

1/4 mile Kings are great at the 1/4 mile
Track cars don't need to be....

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
So does the non-pp leave it off statement apply to me being in an A3? My car is basically a golf r drivetrain with slightly longer gearing.
I would probably leave it on since you have a LSD. The non PP has an open diff so XDS does not work properly.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
The GTI and R have a lot of the same limiting factors.

Both are FWD, or primarily FWD.

R has an open front diff, and the GTI has no power going to the rear.

Both lack multi-piston brakes.

Both are extremely front end heavy, and have soft bushings everywhere.

If it was me, I would buy a wavetrac, BBK, and coilovers for the MK6, and have a MUCH better track car than either a stock MK7.5 GTI or R.