GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI TCR Released OEM IS38 GTI

emanon

Ready to race!
Only a fool wouldn't wait for a Mk8 GTI.

Patience is your friend.
Meh, not all new versions are a vast improvement. I prefer a 997.2 to 991 porsche. The only downside is dated tech.

In the mk8 i wouldnt bet on a 300hp gti at launch either.

If it's around $35k im in. Being the gti is my daily beater i cant justify spending any more on a car i drive into the ground. My 2017 is 9 months old and im a c-hair away from rolling 30k miles already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
I'd be curious how it'll be positioned price-wise between the Autobahn and the R. To me, the ROW-only Clubsport S had a more obvious place in the lineup than the TCR will. Somebody in Europe could confirm, but I'm pretty sure the CSS carried a higher price than the R. With lighter/specific body panels, no rear seats, etc, it was position as more of a track or weekend-only car. No real worry of cannibalizing either full-option GTIs or the Golf R. It's like the CSS is to the GTI as the GT3RS is to the 911.

emanon

Ready to race!
I'd be curious how it'll be positioned price-wise between the Autobahn and the R. To me, the ROW-only Clubsport S had a more obvious place in the lineup than the TCR will. Somebody in Europe could confirm, but I'm pretty sure the CSS carried a higher price than the R. With lighter/specific body panels, no rear seats, etc, it was position as more of a track or weekend-only car. No real worry of cannibalizing either full-option GTIs or the Golf R. It's like the CSS is to the GTI as the GT3RS is to the 911.
So what you're saying is we need a CSS with the 2.5L RS motor and RS3 brakes. A GTI version of the new GT2RS :D

adam1991

Banned
Meh, not all new versions are a vast improvement. I prefer a 997.2 to 991 porsche. The only downside is dated tech.

In the mk8 i wouldnt bet on a 300hp gti at launch either.

If it's around $35k im in.

And there's the problem. It won't be.

Don't fool yourselves.

I would bet on a 250hp Mk8.

And while you're right about "not all new versions are a vast improvement," you won't have the chance to know whether or not that'll be true. You'll have to gamble.

The TCR (I love the play on CTR) will just be a "special edition" at the end of the Mk7 model life to keep the money train rolling as best they can.

At least you'll be able to make the decision between TCR and Audi.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
All these comparisons to Porsche cars..waste of time with VW...

It has been said over the years by various heads of VAG that the sporty brands are Audi & Seat...NOT VW.

This is why on the MQB platform the Seat gets a more sporty Cupra brand (actual rally heritage) & has options such as monoblock multipiston brakes.

Audi has the RS & S editions on the MQB platform & again fitted with Alu sub frames, Alu wishbones, & alu monoblock multipiston brakes.

Yes the CCS & possibly the TCR swiped the MQB Alu subframe, but NOT the Alu wishbones & the CCS & TCR has certainly NOT swiped the MQB Alu 4 pot Brembos from the TT-S...

If this was Porsche with a Clubsport..you would have those lighter wishbones & lighter better brakes...

VW top "sporty models" will NEVER be more sporty than the equivalent from Seat or Audi...that's brand management for you.

So you end up with a marketing salemens wet dream...masses of hype....even the wording around the TCR "bigger brakes than the GTI"...yes but that option has been there since the 2013 as the PP option....& they are the same brakes fitted to the R & uses the same discs as the R"PP" & CSS...which BTW are badly designed as the same casting blank is used for both sides...so the internal directional venting vanes on side rotate the wrong way!!.....causing heat build up....

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
Flipping through the pics again if it comes stateside while maintaining the digital gauge cluster and 10" buttonless touchscreen it will be my next car. Just give me 3 doors and 3 pedals pleaseeeeeee.

Juggar

Ready to race!
Flipping through the pics again if it comes stateside while maintaining the digital gauge cluster and 10" buttonless touchscreen it will be my next car. Just give me 3 doors and 3 pedals pleaseeeeeee.

If we are lucky enough to get it, it will be 5 door DSG only, god willing.

Manuals just dont sell here guys, you know this.

emanon

Ready to race!
All these comparisons to Porsche cars..waste of time with VW...

It has been said over the years by various heads of VAG that the sporty brands are Audi & Seat...NOT VW.

This is why on the MQB platform the Seat gets a more sporty Cupra brand (actual rally heritage) & has options such as monoblock multipiston brakes.

Audi has the RS & S editions on the MQB platform & again fitted with Alu sub frames, Alu wishbones, & alu monoblock multipiston brakes.

Yes the CCS & possibly the TCR swiped the MQB Alu subframe, but NOT the Alu wishbones & the CCS & TCR has certainly NOT swiped the MQB Alu 4 pot Brembos from the TT-S...

If this was Porsche with a Clubsport..you would have those lighter wishbones & lighter better brakes...

VW top "sporty models" will NEVER be more sporty than the equivalent from Seat or Audi...that's brand management for you.

So you end up with a marketing salemens wet dream...masses of hype....even the wording around the TCR "bigger brakes than the GTI"...yes but that option has been there since the 2013 as the PP option....& they are the same brakes fitted to the R & uses the same discs as the R"PP" & CSS...which BTW are badly designed as the same casting blank is used for both sides...so the internal directional venting vanes on side rotate the wrong way!!.....causing heat build up....
Who cares if its not at the audi level, different price point.

On the brake rotors, without a forced duct, the direction of airflow through the rotor is irrelevant (outside in or otherwise). With OE expectations (and cost considerstions) Its the lowest tech airpump ever, so being directional isnt even relevant. Put a temp probe on them and id bet there isnt a stastically significant difference.

To *me*, these are consumable cars that i expect to have 80% depreciated when im done with them in 5 yrs and 200k miles. Fun vs $$ they hit all the right boxes. Im not interested in every last ounce of performance if it puts the car in another price bracket. I have other cars that meet those needs, which come at a big multiple in cost. If this TCR gets an IS38 R motor with some badass CSS style seats and literally nothing else, around $35k, ill send the deposit tomorrow. 300hp with a factory warranty, good to go.

If the mk8 ends up being that much better ill pick one up in a few years. At this price point its not the end of the world.

Nobody here is buying these cars purly pragmatically, they do something different we all value over pure function. It's never going to be an audi S, M car, or AMG... NOBODY EXPECTS THEM TO BE.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
W
On the brake rotors, without a forced duct, the direction of airflow through the rotor is irrelevant (outside in or otherwise). With OE expectations (and cost considerstions) Its the lowest tech airpump ever, so being directional isnt even relevant. Put a temp probe on them and id bet there isnt a stastically significant difference.

Sorry you are wrong as there have been numerous failures on this design on the VAG cars which use it & it even got into the VW driver mag last year who did an article on it.

Basically the side which is rotating the wrong way gets way hotter & causing problems...the side which is rotating the right way is fine...& you don't need a forced duct, the rotation of the disc with directional internal vanes will cause more air flow ...that's why they do it in the first place otherwise they would leave the vanes as plain non-directional "radial" vanes as on the standard discs......

emanon

Ready to race!
Sorry you are wrong as there have been numerous failures on this design on the VAG cars which use it & it even got into the VW driver mag last year who did an article on it.

Basically the side which is rotating the wrong way gets way hotter & causing problems...the side which is rotating the right way is fine...& you don't need a forced duct, the rotation of the disc with directional internal vanes will cause more air flow ...that's why they do it in the first place otherwise they would leave the vanes as plain non-directional "radial" vanes as on the standard discs......
Link to any articles?

emanon

Ready to race!
Wonder what it would cost to buy the seats from VW lol
CSS seats come to something like $5k for the pair. Have to buy all the pieces and assemble them yourself, no complete units available.

Just saw this claims the forged belvedere CSS wheels as well (in 18"), extra bonus there!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Link to any articles?

Here is a scan of the VW Driver magazine article on it...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxgbnvg69kw9afg/VW Driver Dec 2017.pdf?dl=0

:cool:

Who cares if its not at the audi level, different price point.

Nobody here is buying these cars purly pragmatically, they do something different we all value over pure function. It's never going to be an audi S, M car, or AMG... NOBODY EXPECTS THEM TO BE.

Not just Audi level...not even at the cheaper (than MK7 Golf CCS) Seat (pronounced See-at) MQB car level which comes with big alu monoblock multipiston calipers..(Leon Cupra 280PS with "Sub8 pack" special edition) & we got in Europe...

Last edited: