GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Rabbit mpg

ggweci

Go Kart Newbie
I'm getting 7-7.5L/100km (31-33mpg) on my 2019 Rabbit doing mostly highway (80/20 split I'd guess). Very happy with that, but I haven't really been pushing the car as it still only has 3500km.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
That was me.

It doesn't appear that it's the map. My car threw a CEL this morning and it's a bad O2 sensor.

It's looking like a bad batch of O2 sensors. They're telling me they can't even get a new one for a month.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I was told years ago, that resetting the ecu, can cause it to run too rich or lean initially and could burn them out much faster.

I was told years ago, that resetting the ecu, can cause it to run too rich or lean initially and could burn them out much faster.
Mine was actually running leaner after reset and progressively got richer until I'd lost 5 mpg and the car was struggling to accelerate. Did the same after picking up new.

Also the fact they're on backorder leads me to believe my car isn't some isolated incident.

Last edited:

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Mine was actually running leaner after reset and progressively got richer until I'd lost 5 mpg and the car was struggling to accelerate. Did the same after picking up new.

Also the fact they're on backorder leads me to believe my car isn't some isolated incident.

Idk, I was troubleshooting an issue on my last car and I had said something about doing a reset, and was told to be careful about doing it too much, as the computer may start out lean or rich and those stupid things can get thrown out of wack and screw up.

Idk, I was troubleshooting an issue on my last car and I had said something about doing a reset, and was told to be careful about doing it too much, as the computer may start out lean or rich and those stupid things can get thrown out of wack and screw up.
The ECU will start at the same afr everytime you reset and then adjusts fueling based on afr's. It does this pretty quickly.

Who told you this?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
The ECU will start at the same afr everytime you reset and then adjusts fueling based on afr's. It does this pretty quickly.

Who told you this?

I don’t recall right off the bat. I believe it was a local shop, a reputable one though. This was also for an mk6 too.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Well, I think that's complete and utter nonsense.

Well, I think it’s nonsense that suggesting “resetting” the ECU somehow will completely erase a problem. These cars ECUs are highly sophisticated, and resetting the ECU really does nothing except make a problem go away for a short period of time, otherwise codes would stay gone. Perhaps your o2 sensor was already bad... maybe it was something else, but I’ve got a 2019 and have had zero issues with mpg over 7300 miles.

Stop acting like you know everything and just accept when someone may be trying to assist you in finding an issue to your problem.

Well, I think it’s nonsense that suggesting “resetting” the ECU somehow will completely erase a problem. These cars ECUs are highly sophisticated, and resetting the ECU really does nothing except make a problem go away for a short period of time, otherwise codes would stay gone. Perhaps your o2 sensor was already bad... maybe it was something else, but I’ve got a 2019 and have had zero issues with mpg over 7300 miles.

Stop acting like you know everything and just accept when someone may be trying to assist you in finding an issue to your problem.
The problem existed before the ECU reset. I did the reset because it resolved some people's stalling issue, which I also had, as well as poor mileage and bogging under acceleration.

So it's highly unlikely an ECU reset caused an issue that occurred prior to it being reset.

If you want to think you kept your car from having issues by doing nothing to a car that wasn't having issues, go ahead, whatever floats your boat and makes you feel better.

Last edited:

Vorne Au hinten Weh

Passed Driver's Ed
O2 Sensors

That was me.

It doesn't appear that it's the map. My car threw a CEL this morning and it's a bad O2 sensor.

It's looking like a bad batch of O2 sensors. They're telling me they can't even get a new one for a month.

If the pre-cat sensor is defective then keep an eye on the post-cat 02 sensor. If the fuel mix is off for weeks then the post-cat sensor may very well get overheated repeatedly and have a very short lifespan after replacement of the pre-cat sensor. Or even fail before replacement of the pre-cat sensor.

If the pre-cat sensor is defective then keep an eye on the post-cat 02 sensor. If the fuel mix is off for weeks then the post-cat sensor may very well get overheated repeatedly and have a very short lifespan after replacement of the pre-cat sensor. Or even fail before replacement of the pre-cat sensor.
I'm in a loaner now, so hopefully the second sensor will be ok.

I'm hoping, but not convinced yet, that the bad sensor was the cause of my issues and not just a casualty of whatever's going on with the 2019's.

I drove the 2018 tonight, it's nice to have a smooth driving car that hits 35 mpg cruising up the highway. My son takes it this week, I'll miss her.

The O2 sensor wasn't causing the poor mileage. Car continued to get poor mileage after replacement.

My rough idle, poor driveability, and poor gas mileage resolved when the dealer switched my car to 5w-40. Averaging 34 mpg per tank now, up from 28 in light mixed driving.

They claimed there's a service bulletin for it, but no one has been able to get a copy.

Dealers are also telling customers that an ECU update is coming for the 6spd cars with stalling issues.

Last edited: