GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Rabbit mpg

You can disconnect battery and press brake, but you can cause problems with steering angle codes from what I've heard. I did it with no problem, lots of lights on dash after you do it, but they go away ifv you drive down the block and turn engine off then on again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
24 for city sounds pretty good to me. I'm getting closer to 22mpg in the city. ...40 on the highway, though, so there is that.

kgmm/sss

Passed Driver's Ed
I've found fuel quality can cause a big decrease in economy the few times I've had to fill up at generic stores.

On average I get 33-34mpg on a 12 miles commute with 3 stop signs and an average 45mph speed. It will go down into the mid 20s in the city and low to mid 30s on the highway. Get into the throttle and that goes right out the window.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Important to note (others have mentioned this also) is that the computer is pretty optimistic.

By pen and paper (not for real, wiff me brain) I'll calculate 26.7 mpg for 12 gallons while the computer is telling me we're getting almost 30.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Important to note (others have mentioned this also) is that the computer is pretty optimistic.

By pen and paper (not for real, wiff me brain) I'll calculate 26.7 mpg for 12 gallons while the computer is telling me we're getting almost 30.

Mine is about 5% optimistic. My last tank with a good amount of highway mileage showed 34.2 mpg. My Fuel Monitor app which just uses inputs of fill up amount and mileage driven showed 32.6.

timmytva

Passed Driver's Ed
2019 Rabbit owner here. Just passed 2,500 miles. I've put nine tanks of gas in the car, all Shell 93. I track MPG in an app called RoadTrip. Lowest MPG is 22.5, highest is 26.64. I have a very short commute in suburban stop light traffic. The bulk of my driving is similar - Northern Virginia suburban driving. I've seen mid to high 30s on brief highway runs. I haven't had a mostly highway miles tank yet. I'll see how it does when I visit my daughter at college next weekend.

For the record, the MPG on the Rabbit is similar to what my 2012 Focus Titanium (with the dreaded Power Shift dual clutch transmission) achieved. Except the Rabbit is 10x more fun.

Tim

newtonty

2019 Rabbit DSG with 1800 miles so far. On a recent 260 mile road trip, I achieved 38.5mpg with the ECO setting engaged. Half of the trip was with A/C on as well. I normally achieve 22-25mgp city depending on how spirited I am feeling. 93 octane if it matters.

videoguy009

Ready to race!
I had very low mileage compared to my 2018.

Run tank almost dry. Fill with 93 oct from a newer BP or shell station. Reset the ECU. Drive the crap out of the car. Wide open throttle 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ss close to redline without going to jail over and over for about 20 min. Your fuel and timing maps will correct. Then always run high octane from a good gas station.

The 2019 maps are very finicky. Seems VW was way too aggressive with timing at low RPM if I had to guess, as I was noticing much higher oil temps than my 2018 when driven hard.

Do this for now and you'll be good until VW sorts out the tune. You aren't imagining low mileage, it's a common complaint with the 2019.

My oil temps are running 225-230 on a 70 degree day.I think that is rather too high.Do you think or have you heard if there will be a tune for this coming.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My oil temps are running 225-230 on a 70 degree day.I think that is rather too high.Do you think or have you heard if there will be a tune for this coming.

That oil temperature is perfect. That's the temperature the oil runs at regardless of the ambient temperature. It will vary from 215 to 235. Mine runs the same as yours in Phoenix when it's 110 degrees. But that is what mine is at 60 degrees also.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
24 for city sounds pretty good to me. I'm getting closer to 22mpg in the city. ...40 on the highway, though, so there is that.

Yeah, wondered what was possible for a good highway road trip. I got 36 on a trip from DC to the Outer Banks fully loaded with 4 people and luggage. Wondered what you could do with an empty car.

So after the fresh tank, reset, and hard drive, mileage was back to normal and car drove well. After a week, mileage started to drop, started to surge and bog again. This time I just romped on it for a few minutes and back to normal.

Guatentee timing is too aggressive, keeps advancing, gets to far, and car drives like crap. I romp on it, it knocks, then pulls timing, rinse and repeat.

I'd guess that they didn't increase boost to get that extra 8hp, they got aggressive with the timing. Likely because increasing boost would probably caused them to have to recert with EPA.

Inka Orange

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit 6MT
Hello - new here. I have a Rabbit 6MT purchased in early May, with just over 1700 miles on the clock. Car sees mostly around-town, and back road type driving...not a whole lot of highway or dense city stuff.

I scribble the trip miles on the gas receipts before I reset, and come up with a pretty steady 31-32 mpg at just about every fill up. Usually put in Sunoco 91 octane, but have also added Exxon 93 on a couple occasions. The well-meaning dealer delivered the car with a full tank of Gulf 87...couldn't wait to burn through that, but car ran fine with pretty much the same mpg results.

The few occasions where the display would show anything like 37-40 would be countered by hilly drives knocking it down to 27-30, thus pretty much giving that 31-32 average. Looking forward to seeing how it does on a trip.