GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI 6MT Optimum Shift Points for Acceleration

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Renn- Right. Thats is what I meant about the ridiculously low RPM's on the OBC recommendation too. I'm pretty sure with the big torque these cars have down low that is putting undo stress on the clutch especially in cruise control going up a hill. People are inadvertently wearing out their clutches.

I'm an old school MT driver. I keep the RPM's above 2000rpm while cruising even if the OBC is telling me to shift up. It's not like my MPG is bad either on the Golf-R. The computer shows 29.1mpg.

These are all just suggestions.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Shift when you get more horsepower in the next gear than the current gear. You'll need to make a chart that shows HP to RPM in each gear.

Last edited:

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Renn- Right. Thats is what I meant about the ridiculously low RPM's on the OBC recommendation too. I'm pretty sure with the big torque these cars have down low that is putting undo stress on the clutch especially in cruise control going up a hill. People are inadvertently wearing out their clutches.

I'm an old school MT driver. I keep the RPM's above 2000rpm while cruising even if the OBC is telling me to shift up. It's not like my MPG is bad either on the Golf-R. The computer shows 29.1mpg.

These are all just suggestions.

How is the clutch affected by low RPM's? When the clutch is released the disc is not being used so there is no wear. I agree that it's better to be in a lower gear when you need to accelerate but clutches wear when being engaged or disengaged not when the pedal is not depressed.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
You can easily do it going from 2nd to 3rd and accidently go into 1st. Or 4th into 5th and accidently hit 3rd. 99% of the time its not a problem. You're not on the red line, clutch in at the lurch and sound, correct the mishap and be on your way. Do it though when the car is already at 7k cos you're ringing the neck out of her, and if it happens then, you're in for an expensive repair, which is why its called a moneyshift. That is IMHO the only real advantage of having a DSG . Don't care for oooh its faster cos the launch control, or my clutch is stronger than yours. Yeah i know, but for what extra the DSG costs in maintenance and upfront cost, i'll rather have a RSR clutch. Anyway just a bit of advice for the OP, seeing that he's looking to get some best times. Careful on that moneyshift. Which can happen and will if you're not paying too much attention and going for it to the redline.

You can easily accidentally shift from 2nd to 1st? I've never done this in over 20 years of driving manual. Have you? Have you heard of someone doing it? Why would anyone do that? You'd have to deliberately hold the shifter to the left, and 1st gear would physically resist letting you put it in, and probably not even allow it. At worst it would bounce off the syncros. Not saying it's impossible, but it's far from easy to do. Second to 3rd is probably the easiest gear to get into, and the hardest to screw up, all you do is push it straight up.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
How is the clutch affected by low RPM's? When the clutch is released the disc is not being used so there is no wear. I agree that it's better to be in a lower gear when you need to accelerate but clutches wear when being engaged or disengaged not when the pedal is not depressed.

Yes, I was using the term in a general sense as an assembly. You are correct, the weak diaphragm spring could be the culprit of why the clutch plate wears out so soon on some cars too. The weakest link will fail first and to minimize wear, I am just suggesting that one keeps the car in a lower gear to minimize the stress at that point of the drivetrain.

ThatWhiteRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Allow car to warm up properly then...shift at 4000 to 5000 for first and higher for the rest. Third gear is the really sweet spot, it gives and gives.

Over time you'll be able to shift quickly too, 1st to 2nd can be tricky but in a warmed-up car and with experience, you can fly through the shifts like nothing.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
The answer the op I think is looking for is (of course dependent on your specific map) 5150ish for 1st and then 57-5800 for the rest. If you're is38 swapped hold that bitch in till 6200+

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
You can easily accidentally shift from 2nd to 1st? I've never done this in over 20 years of driving manual. Have you? Have you heard of someone doing it? Why would anyone do that? You'd have to deliberately hold the shifter to the left, and 1st gear would physically resist letting you put it in, and probably not even allow it. At worst it would bounce off the syncros. Not saying it's impossible, but it's far from easy to do. Second to 3rd is probably the easiest gear to get into, and the hardest to screw up, all you do is push it straight up.

It happens. See this thread. Or this thread. Being that this is on topic, and the OP is going to set about trying out different shift points, i think its relevant to point out on being careful. Any MT driver who says its never happened to them, is either lucky or it just hasn't happened yet. The Gti's / R's seem to be more susceptible due to the sloppier shifting. Just don't go all out to the redline and he'll be ok. For the record, i've been driving MT for 30yrs and guess what, i've done it. First time for me too. But i was lucky and caught it in time. Thing is though best to avoid in the first place, and that way is as long as you're not at max revs shift in case you hit the wrong gear, and you'll not get the DTC: Maximum Engine Speed Exceeded: Engine Warranty VOID! P0219 00 Because if you do, your engine is toast. The ECU will have that DTC clearly visible on its scan should you ever take it into a dealer. Which you probably will do, as the engine will be making funny noises from all the bent valves. Anyway, just gotta be careful OP when youre going about doing your practice runs.