GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gotta tap the knowledge pool

Ahh So

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I know standard protocol is to read everything in sight and ask as few questions as possible but I find myself in a a bit of a time crunch. I accept any and all abuse for not following said protocol.

That said, my current ride is a bolted (Cobb Stage 3) 2013 Speed3. It works really well but I just don't see putting more $$$s into this FWD platform. For serious mods, it doesn't make sense. Even though I've only got about 13,000kms on the Mazda, I'm looking at a new Golf R. I may have a buyer for the Mazda but don't want to pull the trigger prematurely and find myself in this same position 2 years down the road, selling my Golf R (and losing another crapload of money).

Here's the thing. I'm hoping to get a car into the 11s running on 91 octane. I've no desire to go meth and be carrying around containers in my vehicle. With APR, cold air intake and turbo back exhaust, is this doable (word?) or am I going to be looking at other major expenses as well? Secondly, where do these cars break. The Speed3 has a weak turbo and rods. Aside from that, they're pretty much bullet proof up to 450+whp.

Any input is appreciated, abuse expected. Thanks in advance.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
^ Very misleading post. The DSG has come a long way and has very few problem in its current generation that has been on sale in Europe for almost 3 years now.

The EA888 is a very strong motor and over built from the factory. The engine has proven to hold 500WHP reliably over sea's and the rods are massive for OEM units. DSG is the stronger trans in factory form of the two, rated at 450TQ from the factory and can go north of 600TQ with new clutchs and a tune. Stage 3 R's will be an easy 10 sec 1/4 mile ticket if speed is your goal, but 11's can be done with a simple Stage 2 tune and DP.

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
Certainly do the research and you'll find plenty of reliability horror stories. Then look at the sales figures and understand that people with negative experiences are much more likely to be vocal about it. I didn't have any major hard part issues on my previous VW's. I did have a few issues but it was all covered and yes I had a tune.

Getting a new R into the 11's has already been done with a downpipe and tune and that can obviously affect your warranty status on this and that. It is what it is. Based on the Euro community that has had this model a while there are plenty of cars that have been running around at 350hp+ for a year or better and I don't see 400 being a challenge for reliable operation as long as it is well maintained. RJR Has done a good bit of reading on the subject and I don't doubt what he's saying.

Ahh So

I did see some references to earlier problems but less so with current models. Like I said, haven't had time to do all the reading I should have. Thanks for the input.

Ahh So

Certainly do the research and you'll find plenty of reliability horror stories. Then look at the sales figures and understand that people with negative experiences are much more likely to be vocal about it. I didn't have any major hard part issues on my previous VW's. I did have a few issues but it was all covered and yes I had a tune.

Getting a new R into the 11's has already been done with a downpipe and tune and that can obviously affect your warranty status on this and that. It is what it is. Based on the Euro community that has had this model a while there are plenty of cars that have been running around at 350hp+ for a year or better and I don't see 400 being a challenge for reliable operation as long as it is well maintained. RJR Has done a good bit of reading on the subject and I don't doubt what he's saying.

I'd be delighted to be in the 11s. What are they running for gas? We're quite limited here ... 91 octane is as good as it gets.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
note i used the phrase historical reliability

Sounds like you are backpedaling right now...

That's like saying, don't buy a Ford Focus RS because Ford were notoriously horrible in reliability...in 1908 with regards to the Model T.

Who are you? Every post has made me laugh, can't tell whether you are a troll or what. Keep up the "good" posts though.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
My guess is that if you run across a stumbling block, it will be over your octane requirements. Pulling 200HP/Liter will mean getting a lot of air/fuel into those combustion chambers which are going to be pretty hot from the explosive force you are seeking; 91 octane is probably going to be way too low, I hate to say. Then again, maybe you'll be able to stay just short of heat-induced detonation with careful tuning.

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
Ahh So - The 11.7 (IIRC) was on 93 but I suspect you could still get into the 11's on 91. If you look at the differences in power from one to the other of about 10 hp and lb/ft (per APR) you could make it up other ways. An under drive pulley should be good for a few hp across the band and shaving a little weight should have you in the same ballpark. We're still talking DD streetable and relatively comfortable in my opinion.

Ahh So

My guess is that if you run across a stumbling block, it will be over your octane requirements. Pulling 200HP/Liter will mean getting a lot of air/fuel into those combustion chambers which are going to be pretty hot from the explosive force you are seeking; 91 octane is probably going to be way too low, I hate to say. Then again, maybe you'll be able to stay just short of heat-induced detonation with careful tuning.

Out of curiosity, what are you running down your way, for octane I mean?

Last edited:

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R