GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got a bad turbo? Let's track the issue...

WOLF

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
WOLF, thanks for your posts and info about the upcoming BMP IS38+ offering.
Intrigued and tempted, I am!

With the changes to the turbine and compressor wheels, do you think there will be a bit less lag than the stock IS38?

Lag is going to be roughly the same however unlike the regular IS38 this one wont run out of breath up top.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
This hybrid is a 400+ whp setup on stock fueling?

WOLF

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
This hybrid is a 400+ whp setup on stock fueling?

Yes this turbo is 400WHP capable on a healthy FBO 2.0T w/o custom mapping or port injection. We have a brand new Dyno Jet dyno in house that is currently used in the development phase. Non digital black-on-white dyno sheets will be presented on launch.

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
So wolf's or vtt' s turbo for realiabilty and cost?.... hmmm
They are two different approaches. They are taking OEM cores, and machining them to take bigger wheel, and opening up the oil entry, and exit. Our units a completely new, cast for us, no cores, no core charges, and none of the issues the stock units had. As for oil starvation, it has never been the issue with these units, and we have seen more oil cause more harm than good on some model turbos. On some of our BMW turbos, we actually have special thrusts made to limit the oil flow, as too much can overwhelm a stock bearing housing, and cause smoking etc.

As for power, may want to check our thread, just updated it. Our turbo just made 390WHP/389WTQ no Aux fueling of any kind, on a stock flash, with a JB4 as the only tuning method...

Last edited:

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
They are two different approaches. They are taking OEM cores, and machining them to take bigger wheel, and opening up the oil entry, and exit. Our units a completely new, cast for us, no cores, noc ore charges, and none of the issues the stock units had. As for oil starvation, it has never been the issue with these units, and we have seen more oil cause more harm than good on some model turbos. On some of our BMW turbos, we actually have special thrusts made to limit the oil flow, as too much can overwhelm a stock bearing housing, and cause smoking etc.

As for power, may want to check our thread, just updated it. Our turbo just made 390WHP/389WTQ no Aux fueling of any kind, on a stock flash, with a JB4 as the only tuning method...

In terms of the oil starvation reference are you referring to your turbo or the stock is38?

Also nice numbers on the jb4!

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
In terms of the oil starvation reference are you referring to your turbo or the stock is38?

Also nice numbers on the jb4!
The failed IHI units we have seen, which is quite a few, oil starvation was not the issue on the units. So adding oil really isn't going to help things. Will it hurt, most likely not, more oil is usually a good thing, but as we said, in some model turbochargers we have seen too much oil cause issues. Also I am speaking on journal bearing turbos here. BB units require MUCH less oil.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
The failed IHI units we have seen, which is quite a few, oil starvation was not the issue on the units. So adding oil really isn't going to help things. Will it hurt, most likely not, more oil is usually a good thing, but as we said, in some model turbochargers we have seen too much oil cause issues. Also I am speaking on journal bearing turbos here. BB units require MUCH less oil.

Based on what you have seen what have the causes been and what if any do you recommend to current is38 users to help increase the longevity of the turbo?

WOLF

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkV GTI

We have taken apart many brand new units and all point towards oil stavation.
Please feel free to look at my posted photos of numerous brand new oem IS38s that failed catastrophically, displaying significant indications of oil starvation.
I would also like to point out that there is a confusion going on in that statement.
We increased OIL FLOW not VOLUME.
An increased volume could potentially push the seals and make the unit prone to seal failure however modifications made here are strictly flow related. Also worth mentioning is that all our units are brand new IHI sourced with the latest cartridge design.

Last edited:

neproracer

popped one

ok, I'm going to add my popped story, it happens and I knew it probably would being I picked up my 2015 GTI SE in Nov 2014, love the car first test drive I did ! I did my reading, saw there was issues with early turbos, decided on the Eurodyne with cable. been running 1.5 on 93 oct all the time, I have a close Phillips gas station . I put a K&N filter, smoother intake, but nothing much, not a big racer, but that once in awhile, yippy!!
I change the oil every 5k with the Mogul for VW, I have 20k on the car now.
left after lunch and pushed it for a couple sec. EPC and limped home, changed to stock tune to see if I could just reboot, no luck, drove, limped to VW dealer in La Vista Ne. yep, broke it. so, been talking to phil at USP, going to do the is38 after I get it back from dealer, I want to do it myself, to see how bad the impellers are, clean out any debri I can get to real well. I'll do the usp no cat downpipe, I already had it, just never put it on. intercooler, plugs, oil, coolant , diverter ?
Ill let everyone know how it goes in a couple weeks. be safe :)

WOLF

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
ok, I'm going to add my popped story, it happens and I knew it probably would being I picked up my 2015 GTI SE in Nov 2014, love the car first test drive I did ! I did my reading, saw there was issues with early turbos, decided on the Eurodyne with cable. been running 1.5 on 93 oct all the time, I have a close Phillips gas station . I put a K&N filter, smoother intake, but nothing much, not a big racer, but that once in awhile, yippy!!
I change the oil every 5k with the Mogul for VW, I have 20k on the car now.
left after lunch and pushed it for a couple sec. EPC and limped home, changed to stock tune to see if I could just reboot, no luck, drove, limped to VW dealer in La Vista Ne. yep, broke it. so, been talking to phil at USP, going to do the is38 after I get it back from dealer, I want to do it myself, to see how bad the impellers are, clean out any debri I can get to real well. I'll do the usp no cat downpipe, I already had it, just never put it on. intercooler, plugs, oil, coolant , diverter ?
Ill let everyone know how it goes in a couple weeks. be safe :)

Check out our IS38+ when it hits the market in a few weeks. We are in the end phase of development. Couple hundred bucks more for an extra 30-50WHP on regular IS38 APR software and improved reliability, stress tested at 35 PSI.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Check out our IS38+ when it hits the market in a few weeks. We are in the end phase of development. Couple hundred bucks more for an extra 30-50WHP on regular IS38 APR software and improved reliability, stress tested at 35 PSI.

Curious as to how an OTS tune has increased 30-50whp with your turbo? It's in the stock housing so the power is coming from somewhere....
A GTX2867R on stock APR IS38 wouldn't even make that kind of difference.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I thought it's a hybrid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
So how much ?

drrck

Go Kart Champion
We have taken apart many brand new units and all point towards oil stavation.
Please feel free to look at my posted photos of numerous brand new oem IS38s that failed catastrophically, displaying significant indications of oil starvation.
I would also like to point out that there is a confusion going on in that statement.
We increased OIL FLOW not VOLUME.
An increased volume could potentially push the seals and make the unit prone to seal failure however modifications made here are strictly flow related. Also worth mentioning is that all our units are brand new IHI sourced with the latest cartridge design.
How is flow different from volume? I have no idea how the oil pump works on these cars. Are you decreasing the pressure by increasing the area?