GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GolfWang's Boring Build Thread

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So, for the first post in 11 months on my veryboring "build thread," I will talk about my "Stage .5" journey.

First, I've driven 27,000 miles in my 11.5 months of ownership. For 25000 of those miles I was on terrible Kumho All Seasons with no tread, and no mods besides a pedalbox. The car sucked, I really didn't enjoy driving it.

That said, I bought OZ Ultraleggeras in 18x8 ET35, wrapped in 225/45 Sumitomo UHP All Seasons last month, and boy oh boy did it make a difference. It rides so smooth and quiet on the highway, and even over inconsistencies in the road, while providing greatly improved grip (on stock power, I essentially cannot spin the tires if I try, which was NOT the case before I got the new wheels). 10/10 will never, ever drive a car with gravity cast wheels/OEM all seasons on it again.

It gets better. On tuesday, I had my full "Stage .5" suite installed on the car: Stage 1 034 Motorsport Engine/Trans mounts, 034 Motorsport aluminum dogbone insert, Roc-Euro pendulum mount, stainless steel brake lines, motul brake fluid, 034 Motorsport Res delete, CTS Turbo open element intake, and finally a dinan tuner.

The mount suite had the exact desired effect: virtually NO increase in NVH over stock, while eliminating slop and wheel hop. In fact, it's actually less NVH than stock, since the harshness of the engine rocking is eliminated.

One unintended, but welcome effect of the mount installation is that my car is so much more composed in turns and over uneven surfaces. before the mount installation, I honestly believed that my OEM suspension was in *dire* need of replacement @ 45K miles. It was just so harsh over bumps, while SO floaty/imprecise on the highway, and understeery in tight turns. All of that is gone, and I think I can eek another year or so out of the suspension before going with coils or a good comfort oriented Bilstein B8 + Emannuelle Design spring setup.

Resonator delete: OEM as fuck. should've been this way from the factory, with no "sound aktor" crap.

CTS Intake: I love the sound. I'm fully aware that it's not for power. I only paid $225 shipped on the forums for it so it's still a relatively inexpensive mod for the results.

Dinantronics piggyback: Power increase is minimal, but just enough to wake the stock programming up. Again, "should've come this way from the factory." Great value per dollar (I picked it up on the forums for $140 shipped)

Pedalbox (installed last September/October): Solves 75% of my complaints about the OEM ECU/TCU programming, however it still can't prevent upshifting the moment you take your foot off the throttle. I drive in manual mode most of the time anyway, so for the price the pedalbox is a VERY good value proposition (picked mine up for $150 on the forums)

Final notes/thoughts: This is the least efficient GTI I've owned, of 3. My first was a manual MK6, and my second was a manual MK7. Both got 25+ mpg around town, and the MK6 got 30-34mpg highway as long as I kept it between 65 and 75, the second I started going 80 it was more like 26/27mpg. My manual MK7 got 38-41 mpg @ 65, and 33-36mpg @ 80 mph.

My current, DSG MK7 gets pretty bad gas mileage. I get about 22/23 around town, but I rarely see over 30mpg on the highway, and I almost never go faster than 75mph. And this is on stock power, and I exclusively use 93. Yesterday I got 29 mpg going 65-70mph for an hour :\ I plan on owning this car longer than I've ever owned a car (I've had 4 cars in my 7 years of having a driver's license, and I plan on driving this GTI for at least 5 years), so my hope is that it remains reliable for the duration of my ownership. If I get to 4+ years of ownership with only one or two reliability issues, I will consider the bad gas mileage a drop in the bucket. If not... I will consider this car a shitty car.

That said, I love driving it now that I've gone "Stage .5." So much so that I now feel that I could actually own this car for another 4+ years and enjoy it enough to not get bored and want a new car. I'm looking forward to going Stage 1 ECU/TCU + suspension upgrades some time after 60K miles. Happy dubbin boys.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Welcome back.
Lot of mod items.
Glad the car is getting better.
Maybe the right foot needs a mpg mod? ;)

Definitely not my right foot. Like I said, I drive 25K+ a year. I use cruise control extensively, and avoid going faster than 75. In fact, I generally prefer 65-70. I just got one of the inefficient ones :\

By comparison, my MK6 couldn't get bad gas mileage if I tried. Like, no exaggeration I got 25mpg flooring it traffic light to traffic light.

My MK7 was more right-foot dependent. If I wanted to drive for efficiency, I could hypermile like crazy (best ever gas tank was 41mpg hand calculated). If I wanted to have fun, I wouldn't get the best mileage, but it still wasn't that bad either.

This car, no. Cruise control @ 65 mph gets me like 32mpg at the very most. 70 is like 30. 75 is like 28/29. 80 is like 24-26.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I replaced spark plugs too and it didn't affect my mileage at all. So my last guess is that the previous owner used regular and did a lot of short trips where the oil didn't get up to temp, and never redlined it. Because I use the last ~500 miles before each oil change to do the italian tuneup and there doesn't seem to be a difference, so I just think it's either A) super carboned up, or B) just on the bottom end of the efficiency range for these engines, or C) both

One last note: when I do italian tuneups, my MPG is noticeably not that much differen than when I drive normally. in other words, going 65 mph in 3th gear-90mph in 4th nets me 23-24 mpg, whereas going 80 mph in 6th gear nets me like 27. Makes no freakin sense

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Ahaaaaa. As fate would have it, it's not all rainbows and butterflies.

Got an EPC light on my way to work today when trying to overtake on the highway. Pulled off, turned the engine off, switched my Dinan module to bypass, turned it back on and it was fine.

Looks like I'm staying away from that.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Additionally, I'm seeing rough idle (misfires) even after replacing my spark plugs. Looks like I've got some digging to do.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Ahaaaaa. As fate would have it, it's not all rainbows and butterflies.

Got an EPC light on my way to work today when trying to overtake on the highway. Pulled off, turned the engine off, switched my Dinan module to bypass, turned it back on and it was fine.

Looks like I'm staying away from that.
What mode were you in? I saw someone else post they were getting this I'm race mode.

Hopefully you can get this worked out my friend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
What mode were you in? I saw someone else post they were getting this I'm race mode.

Hopefully you can get this worked out my friend

Yup! Race mode. So it's fine in Sport+?

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Yup! Race mode. So it's fine in Sport+?
That's word on the street. Haven't seen anyone have issues in sport plus

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
That's word on the street. Haven't seen anyone have issues in sport plus

So whack. How the hell does one of, if not THE most moneyed aftermarket performance company release a product that sets off the EPC light in one of its intended functions? Ultimately it's whatever, it was literally $140 lol and I can make that back when I go to sell it so as long as no actual damage was done (which I guess is yet to be seen) I'm still happy. I expected minimal performance increase for minimal coin spent. Looks like I got exactly what I wanted lol.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
So whack. How the hell does one of, if not THE most moneyed aftermarket performance company release a product that sets off the EPC light in one of its intended functions? Ultimately it's whatever, it was literally $140 lol and I can make that back when I go to sell it so as long as no actual damage was done (which I guess is yet to be seen) I'm still happy. I expected minimal performance increase for minimal coin spent. Looks like I got exactly what I wanted lol.
Lol yeah agreed.

Are you running 93 octane. Could also be the culprit.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
But like Race mode is less PSI than the JB1 in Map 1, and I had the JB1 on my previous MK7 for a year without a single issue