GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R400/420 vs Audi RS3

csusino84

Passed Driver's Ed
What are everyones thoughts on these "hyper hatches" that are soon to be arriving in the US and would you guys trade in or sell your Golf R's for one of these beasts??

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
Quite a few of the guys are running more power than the RS3 with the R tuned. Of course, the RS3 could be tuned to gain more power but those who have an R (and came to the conclusion that the extra $ that the S3 costs, was mostly for The Badge) won't want to fork out another +$10k to get the same(ish) output.

csusino84

Passed Driver's Ed
Im new to the VW / tuning scene but the whole factory warranty is definitely appealing especially when your talking about brand new cars. Do you think the Golf R400 will have the same engine/ platform as the RS3 similar to how our 2015 R's are basically S3's without the luxury name??

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
Im new to the VW / tuning scene but the whole factory warranty is definitely appealing especially when your talking about brand new cars. Do you think the Golf R400 will have the same engine/ platform as the RS3 similar to how our 2015 R's are basically S3's without the luxury name??

I believe the R400 is just an uprated EA888. Similar to the bump up from GTI to R. Better internals etc. I'd imagine the R4 will still be Haldex where as the RS3 is Quattro. Different beast but from all the reviews I have watched/read, not many have been positive towards the RS3...

csusino84

Passed Driver's Ed
The RS3 sounds amazing!!! Hands down that is one sexy hatch!!! At least the front half and the tail pipes are...as for the tail lights and rear stance I feel the Golf R has it there...!! Great review...Ive seen a few of the launch videos and everyone seems to say this is a super car killer in disguise...hope this one does make it to the US!!

titan253

Ready to race!
You might be able to tune to more power, but you can never add an extra cylinder and get that sweet, sweet, inline 5 sound :D

Sure, there's the premium for the four rings, but you also get a factory warranty and a more premium interior (IMO) which shouldn't be ignored. It's a shame we won't get the hatch, because that power and utility would be an unbeatable combo.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
What are everyones thoughts on these "hyper hatches" that are soon to be arriving in the US and would you guys trade in or sell your Golf R's for one of these beasts??

What's your definition of "soon?" It's going to be a while...

Also, as mentioned above, the RS3 is more likely to show up in the US as a sedan, not a hatch.