GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CarterRuss' 2015 GTI S 6 Speed in CSG

carterruss

Ready to race!
Picked her up last night. Backstory: My 2000 BMW 3 series was stolen and totaled :( so I was able to drive my father's MK6 GTI till I found a new car. Had a blast in it so stopped looking at BMWs and looked at the MK7. Numerous pros and cons later I went with the MK7 GTI over the e90.

Installed:
Charcoal Raceseng Slammer (Review)
Full 35% Ceramic Tint
Eurodyne Stage 1.5 93Oct (Review)
Boost Gauge (NewSouth Vent Pod, APR Boost Tap, Podi Gauge) (Review)
BFI Stage 1 Mounts (Engine, Insert, Trans) (Review)
Blue Tinted Aspherical Mirrors (Review)
DieselGeek Sigma 6 Short Shifter (Review)
CTS Shift Bracket Bushings
GFB DV+
OPD Golf R Headlights (Black, 5k HIDs) (Review)
K&N Drop-In Filter

Purchased:
EuroJet Catted Downpipe

Future Plans:
LED Taillights
VWR Springs
H&R Sway Bars
Sway Bar End Links
Fluidampr Crank Pulley
StopTech BBK

Last edited:

jjm51

Ready to race!
very good.

curious if you put on the dg springs? and/or why you decided on them? i am possibly doing the same. very few people here in the states using them on gti's. if you did, it would help some of us here looking for info if you posted some pics and tell us your experience.

also, that shifter looks real nice. tasteful. also wondering if you could tell us how you like it.

keep enjoying your car.

carterruss

Ready to race!
curious if you put on the dg springs? and/or why you decided on them? i am possibly doing the same. very few people here in the states using them on gti's. if you did, it would help some of us here looking for info if you posted some pics and tell us your experience.

I haven't yet. Not sure if it will be worth it but I'd rather install something (DG Springs) that isn't going to compromise the life of the shocks.

also, that shifter looks real nice. tasteful. also wondering if you could tell us how you like it.

Shifter is awesome. Much nicer feel and ease of shifting. When I want to shift, it is effortless and just goes where it needs to. Next up is the DieselGeek Sigma6 SS.

Last edited:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I haven't yet. Not sure if it will be worth it but I'd rather install something (DG Springs) that isn't going to compromise the life of the shocks.

Shifter is awesome. Must nicer feel and ease of shifting. When I want to shift, it is effortless and just goes where it needs to. Next up is the DieselGeek Sigma6 SS.

it's worth it (and the DG SS), you won't look back at the stock quality. It makes the car less floaty and feel better to drive, but yet you won't feel much difference compared to stock springs, sometimes i even forget they were installed lol.

LeGti

Ready to race!
it's worth it (and the DG SS), you won't look back at the stock quality. It makes the car less floaty and feel better to drive, but yet you won't feel much difference compared to stock springs, sometimes i even forget they were installed lol.

Think the OP was referring to Driver Gear (VW Zubehör) springs, not VWRacing springs. The former are made by OEM supplier Mueba and drop 10mm from standard Gti. The latter are made by Eibach and drop lower.

carterruss

Ready to race!
So I flashed Stage 1.5 93 Oct last night and all I can say is wow. Immediate change in performance. Haven't had too much time behind the wheel but after a few passes on the highway and my short commute to work, this is a huge improvement over being stock. Stage 1.5 is perfect for someone DDing the car (my commute is 15 miles or so and more often than not I don't see open road).

Took longer for my WinBook TW700 to update Windows than it did to flash the car. Got the TW700 for $50 and it works great and now I have a tablet to surf the web from the couch with.

Shifts feel much smoother now. I never got the perfect shift out of 1st (probably my driving style more than anything) but seems to be much smoother now.

Tuned at 13,500 miles

carterruss

Ready to race!
Installed the DieselGeek Sigma 6 Short Shifter over the weekend along with some CTS shift bracket bushings.

Install time was about 2 hours, I took my time and double checked everything as this is my first time doing something like this.

100 Mile impression of the Sigma 6: Much more engaging feeling. If you like the buttery soft and squishy feel of the stock shifter, this isn't going to be for you. This is short, notchy shifting. I would say based on a guesstimate, that the SS shortens throws about 30-35%.

From what I've read you really only see the benefit of the Shift Bracket bushings after the stock ones wear out so I did this as preventative as I was going to be down in that area anyway.

Install instructions: The youtube videos and PDF write up from DieselGeek were more than helpful in learning how to install the short shifter. The only hard part in my mind was adjusting the shifter but even that was pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

carterruss

Ready to race!
Installed the GFB DV+ over the weekend. Haven't had too much time behind the wheel since but definitely seeing better boost recovery between shifts.

Install took about 30 minutes. Only think I recommend is making sure you have a 5+ inch allen wrench to remove the bolts. I had one that was just under that and it was sort of a pain on the bottom bolt.