GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI MK7 Stage 1 Mounts review

carterruss

Ready to race!
I have purchased a full set of Stage 1 engine mounts and will be installing them in stages to get good comparisons.

Stage 1 Torque Arm Insert:

Install was pretty simple. Sprayed the insert with Liquid Wrench silicon spray and it popped right in with minimal effort. After 13k miles, the original bolt took a bit more effort than I planned. Used a breaker bar to finally free it. Popped the new bolt in...wouldn't thread. Had to give it a good push up into its home and it was fine. Took 30 minutes due to my struggle breaking free the bolt.

100 mile impression: First start up had a tad harsh vibrations but toned down considerably after the test drive. Wheel hop is greatly reduction and feels solid. Vibrations are slight at idle and reverse and nonexistent at highway speeds.

250 mile update: Vibrations are almost none existent at idle and driving speeds. I only get hardly noticeable vibrations at idle. With the A/C on at idle I get light vibrations but while driving with the A/C on, the vibrations are gone.

500 mile impression: Definitely worth the $40 and 15 minute install upgrade. Only time I really "feel" vibrations are at idle with the A/C running and even then it's more of a subtle vibration.

Stage 1 Engine mount:

Install took me about 45 minutes from putting the car on jacks to putting my tools away. Very easy install and the directions were very easy to follow.

50 Mile impression: No added vibrations. Vibrations while idling with the A/C on seem to be a bit more tame now. Engine noises went up very slightly but nothing aggressive. Shifts seem a bit more tight and solid now. Power seems to get transferred a bit more firmly now.

Stage 1 Trans Mount

Install took about 1.5-2 hours. Serious PITA due to the wire loom sitting over the trans mount. Other than that, install was pretty straight forward following the BFI instructions.

50 Mile Impression: Shifts seem more solid upon clutch release. I have zero wheel hop managing acceleration as in not trying to let my wheels spin. No added vibrations.

Overall, I think all three mounts play well into each other. I can accelerate without the engine bouncing around. Vibrations are minimal at best and only with the a/c on and idling. You know it's there but it's not overbearing.

Last edited:

GaSs_ZA

Passed Driver's Ed
Do the wheels just spin up more and less hop when you accelerate on a slippery road?

GaSs_ZA

Passed Driver's Ed
You said it reduces wheel hop, a good rest is on a wet road when you accelerate hard , does it just spin up without the hop? My car hops so bad it sound like the dash is about to explode [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carterruss

Ready to race!
You said it reduces wheel hop, a good rest is on a wet road when you accelerate hard , does it just spin up without the hop? My car hops so bad it sound like the dash is about to explode [emoji53]

Haven't driving on a wet road yet. I know when I drove with the ASR on and without the insert, I would get bad wheel hop. Know it is mostly gone. My guess is this will help you though.

carterruss

Ready to race!
Installed the Stage 1 Motor Mount. Initial impressions are very good. No added vibrations combining with the Torque Arm insert. Vibrations from A/C and idling are toned down from just the Torque Arm insert.

Install time was 45 minutes from wheels up to wheels down. Very easy.

Will update as I get more than 5 miles around the block.

carterruss

Ready to race!
did you have to replace new bolt for the transmission mont like bfi recommended?
I did not as I did not see their recommendation. That being said it is a stretch bolt and should be replaced so I may go back and swap them out. They were only Tq'd down to 34-44lbs so I shouldn't be in trouble just yet. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll email them and see what they say.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Cheers for this review, mate!!! Been looking for one to help me make the plunge, and after this, I will.

My ED Stage 2 killed my wheelhop for me. But after installing the CTS torque arm after, I started feeling the car more (which I like) but at the expense of a bit more vibes. I just wondered if the engine and tranny mounts were worth it for better feel and to help the car deliver power better.

carterruss

Ready to race!
Cheers for this review, mate!!! Been looking for one to help me make the plunge, and after this, I will.

My ED Stage 2 killed my wheelhop for me. But after installing the CTS torque arm after, I started feeling the car more (which I like) but at the expense of a bit more vibes. I just wondered if the engine and tranny mounts were worth it for better feel and to help the car deliver power better.
I'm Stage 1.5 but that being said I view the mounts as a triangle. You can't just strength one side and expect a solid complete fix. Since my car is a daily the Stage 1 is perfect. I'll try to get out and really push the car from a dig this weekend and report back. While trying to eliminate wheel spin through pedal modulation I experienced no hop.

greypanter

Ready to race!
I'm Stage 1.5 but that being said I view the mounts as a triangle. You can't just strength one side and expect a solid complete fix. Since my car is a daily the Stage 1 is perfect. I'll try to get out and really push the car from a dig this weekend and report back. While trying to eliminate wheel spin through pedal modulation I experienced no hop.
Sorry I had to revive this thread! Hopefully you still have your car. Having the bfi stage 1 mounts for few years now, any updates? How are they holding up?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Thank you for the review, are you 6mt or DSG for the shifting change?