GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R versus Tesla model 3.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
To be fair, that entry level Tesla cost quite a bit more than the pinnacle of VW petrol car performance engineering.
You can get a base Model 3 for around $40k now.

quadslo

Model 3 dual motor is exactly the same from the line as Golf R with M52 stage 1. Tesla has a bit better reaction time, but they stick together up to 140km/h

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
^and still get ~30+mpg!

I get the point though. Electric is effing fast, even apples to apples comparison-wise

Meanwhile tesla will release a software patch giving you an extra 100lbft for free and it will still do 190 miles per gallon equivalent. :)

Electric has been making trains go for 90 years after all, it's just taken this long for people to decide that it's worth development of batteries so cars can take advantage of the same 90% efficiency drive train.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Model 3 dual motor is exactly the same from the line as Golf R with M52 stage 1. Tesla has a bit better reaction time, but they stick together up to 140km/h

Except the 190 miles per gallon bit.. :)

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
also the good news is you can tune a golf r... and cant tune a tesla... i think? lol

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
huh, interesting. i guess it does make sense to just tell the computer to send more power from the battery, but theres gotta be a limitation there too. of course then there could be the onset of replacing batteries down the road with better amperage batteries, more capable motors... i wonder where the limit will be then?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
huh, interesting. i guess it does make sense to just tell the computer to send more power from the battery, but theres gotta be a limitation there too. of course then there could be the onset of replacing batteries down the road with better amperage batteries, more capable motors... i wonder where the limit will be then?

Yeah they are reprogramming the motor drive circuits to extract more power, as well as learning what they can get away with on pushing the batteries harder, it's evolution in action. It's refreshing for a car manufacturer to do this, normally you have to persuade them just to update the friggin radio even if it's got a fault and there's twenty new firmwares available newer than yours. Just wish I had one!!

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
It's too bad all of the Tesla options look awful and have terrible driver interfaces. Sorry, but i don't want to have to look at a touch screen for everything.

I'm excited for ev's, and will absolutely end up in one soon, but not with the styling and driver interface of a Tesla. Hopefully that ID.3 R is in development.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Yes I'm not a fan of the big tablet in a model 3. Can't argue with the economics and performance tho.

The Id.3 long range is likely to be competitive with an R, if not actually quite capable of leaving it sitting in a puddle of its own coolant for dead. 300lbft, 280bhp and nearly 280 miles range sound interesting?

https://ev-database.uk/car/1203/Volkswagen-ID3-Long-Range

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
It's too bad all of the Tesla options look awful and have terrible driver interfaces. Sorry, but i don't want to have to look at a touch screen for everything.

I'm excited for ev's, and will absolutely end up in one soon, but not with the styling and driver interface of a Tesla. Hopefully that ID.3 R is in development.

I agree with the terrible DUI (driver user interface hehe) as well. The numb steering, pedal feeling in both gas and brake. They take 'fly by wire' to a new level of boring.
Also for basic functions you have to go searching for it in menus at times. It's a good 'American car', picking up where you would expect the Big 3 to have left off, but making it an EV

My wife and I agreed on waiting for v2.0, but I have a feeling they will continue to push towards self-driving functionality then creating a car you would enjoy driving

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The problem is still charging on the road in the city. Not enough infrastructure, and there won't be until there are a lot more electrics on the road. Then you'll need to be able fully charge in 5 minutes, like ICE's. Until then, I don't care what the MPG is. I know there are new batteries that can rapidly charge, but last I read they are very prone to catching on fire. Solve all of these problems, make the cars economical to buy, and...you're still not through. We can't generate enough electricity for even a fraction of owners to charge their cars at home. Hell, California can't generate enough electricity to run every resident's air conditioning in the summer now. And I forgot about losing half your range in cold weather.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The problem is still charging on the road in the city. Not enough infrastructure, and there won't be until there are a lot more electrics on the road. Then you'll need to be able fully charge in 5 minutes, like ICE's. Until then, I don't care what the MPG is. I know there are new batteries that can rapidly charge, but last I read they are very prone to catching on fire. Solve all of these problems, make the cars economical to buy, and...you're still not through. We can't generate enough electricity for even a fraction of owners to charge their cars at home. Hell, California can't generate enough electricity to run every resident's air conditioning in the summer now. And I forgot about losing half your range in cold weather.

Move to Phoenix. We get so much sunlight that the Tesla owners who have home charging generate excess energy beyond what the car needs and use it on their house.