GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Build Numbers By Year and Color

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Was there a base R in 2015? I didn't think there was.

I don't think so. I think DCC & NAV were just add ons. I could be wrong though.

I also believe that you had to add both, so there were only 2 different "trims." So in that sense, you can consider the car without DCC & NAV the "base" trim.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Not what review say. This is from Cars.com:

The Golf R starts at $37,415, which includes an $820 destination charge. Our test car’s options list included the adaptive suspension, touch-screen navigation, Fender premium audio and 19-inch alloy wheels, which raised the as-tested price to $39,910.

C&D review of the 2016:
Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) is bundled with navigation and 19-inch wheels for a $2245 premium

Last edited:

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
I believe most were launch editions with nav/fender, dcc, and dsg all blue...

I don't believe there were many other MY 2015s, if you have a 2015 base probably a rare car...

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Well they all came with alloy wheels.

NAV and Fender audio came together if opted for. DCC was the only other option.

These reviews are routinely wrong, and usually include buzz words or mention options that were standard in a lot of cases.

All that said, I’m not 100% on how the options were broken down. I think it was an all or nothing thing. The convo was just whether the car came with all options as standard.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals

These reviews are routinely wrong, and usually include buzz words or mention options that were standard in a lot of cases.

All that said, I’m not 100% on how the options were broken down. I think it was an all or nothing thing. The convo was just whether the car came with all options as standard.
I think the reference is to the base car having 18's, with the $2,245 option adding 19's. This appears to be a non nav on 18's.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/7e6cd2c7-baec-4fff-93a2-2223e1bf7386/

Last edited:

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie

DCC and Nav went together in MY2016. DAP was the only other option.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
In 2015 every US "Launch Edition" R came with DCC, DSG, NAV, & the Fender Audio w/Sirius-Xm radio, and was painted Lapiz Blue. If you wanted one, you got what everyone else was getting. They sold out in 10 hours (starting at 12:00 AM EST). Only in 2016 did they begin any variability in ordering.

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I think it's safe to say they're directionally correct. Most models have a date they're not supposed to go on sale before. So even if you bought it early, it's likely not reported until the official date. Point remains that the Golf R is built in numbers that help preserve value in the short term, but aren't remotely small enough to ensure future appreciation. My M Coupe was made for 4 years and 2,601 were made for the US. Clean examples still command good money. The Z8 is another example of very limited run with increasing value over time.

If VW ever did offer a Golf R Plus, then we might be onto something.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I think it's safe to say they're directionally correct. Most models have a date they're not supposed to go on sale before. So even if you bought it early, it's likely not reported until the official date. Point remains that the Golf R is built in numbers that help preserve value in the short term, but aren't remotely small enough to ensure future appreciation. My M Coupe was made for 4 years and 2,601 were made for the US. Clean examples still command good money. The Z8 is another example of very limited run with increasing value over time.

If VW ever did offer a Golf R Plus, then we might be onto something.
I don’t know. There is still a demand for these in a special way. Not Spektrum levels, but still there. Now consider cars wrecked and modded too far the number available is quickly down. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a lull or plateau in value that eventually comes back up.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I don’t know. There is still a demand for these in a special way. Not Spektrum levels, but still there. Now consider cars wrecked and modded too far the number available is quickly down. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a lull or plateau in value that eventually comes back up.
I do think Mk4 R32's have seen some solid resale. Current Mk7 cars are doing great in this odd market and because the Mk8 is scarce and also is inflicted with a stupid interface even if you can find one. Mk5's and Mk6's are actually holding their own too. I'm betting on the fact that the Mk8.5 refresh will kill off the manual, so hopefully if I ever get one, it won't lose too much value over the time I have it.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I do think Mk4 R32's have seen some solid resale. Current Mk7 cars are doing great in this odd market and because the Mk8 is scarce and also is inflicted with a stupid interface even if you can find one. Mk5's and Mk6's are actually holding their own too. I'm betting on the fact that the Mk8.5 refresh will kill off the manual, so hopefully if I ever get one, it won't lose too much value over the time I have it.
Yeah. I think the manual Mk8 will be a highly desirable car as I agree with the 8.5 being DSG only. I think the R models will hold true partially because they were lower numbers, MK7s being German built and also the fact it was a different, I won’t say upgraded cause I think that’s subjective, car from the GTI. Time will tell.