GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 1.8T to Golf R

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
Hi everyone,

I currently have a golf 1.8T is20 turbo MT. I've had many unfortunate problems including chain tensioner collapse, broken intake camshaft and a possible oil pressure problem that is currently being investigated. Car is high mileage so whatever.

I am looking to switching cars after I fix this current problem and put it back to stock. I do want to stay in the MK7 volks family and I am considering a used Golf R with low-ish mileage.

My question: Has anyone made the switch from a 1.8T or GTI to a Golf R and how did you like it? Was it worth the higher price?

I am also wondering what are the most common problems people are facing with the Golf R? or is it similar to the 1.8 L engine (timing chain tensioner ,etc.)

Thanks in advance!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I went from a tuned 1.8T MK4 GTI to a tuned MK5 GTI to a MK7 R, if that's any help. It's my first MK7 but but I say if you can afford it, do it.

Haven't had any real problems in 21,000 miles.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT
I went from a tuned MK6 GTI to my '17 R. This car is better in every single way, no regrets at all.

Silhouette

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
I also went from a Mk6 GTI to my 2019 R. 0 regrets. My R gets about 10mpg less than my GTI did if that matters to you. Went from 35/42 mpg to 30/35 if in Eco. Other wise its 25/30mpg. Still worth it. I also agree if it's in your budget go for the R.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Hi everyone,

I currently have a golf 1.8T is20 turbo MT. I've had many unfortunate problems including chain tensioner collapse, broken intake camshaft and a possible oil pressure problem that is currently being investigated. Car is high mileage so whatever.

I am looking to switching cars after I fix this current problem and put it back to stock. I do want to stay in the MK7 volks family and I am considering a used Golf R with low-ish mileage.

My question: Has anyone made the switch from a 1.8T or GTI to a Golf R and how did you like it? Was it worth the higher price?

I am also wondering what are the most common problems people are facing with the Golf R? or is it similar to the 1.8 L engine (timing chain tensioner ,etc.)

Thanks in advance!

Whereas there were quite a few issues with timing chain tensioner failing on the mk6 GTI, I can‘t recall hearing of any with the mk7.

I think the main problem issues associated with the mk7 2.0 EA888 engine are water pump and thermostat housing failures. Also, the clutch used by VW on performance Golfs with manual transmission seem to be a weak point, and there have been a number of instances of slipping clutches reported on various forums - some at relatively low mileages and on cars that haven’t been tuned.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Whereas there were quite a few issues with timing chain tensioner failing on the mk6 GTI, I can‘t recall hearing of any with the mk7.

I think the main problem issues associated with the mk7 2.0 EA888 engine are water pump and thermostat housing failures. Also, the clutch used by VW on performance Golfs with manual transmission seem to be a weak point, and there have been a number of instances of slipping clutches reported on various forums - some at relatively low mileages and on cars that haven’t been tuned.

Don’t forget the turbos that failed.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

The thermostat housing fails on the MK7.5 also. Mine did.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
This is my first VW ever and I have to say, I have not had ONE issue with this car. 2016 Golf R with 34k miles and tuned stage 2 since 9000 miles or so. I just took it to the racetrack for the first time and was amazed quite frankly at the stability and handling this car has, at my local track there are two huge off camber downhill turns that will mess any FWD based car and this R pulled out of both corners with authority. Great car, great reliability, very happy with the R.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
This is my first VW ever and I have to say, I have not had ONE issue with this car. 2016 Golf R with 34k miles and tuned stage 2 since 9000 miles or so. I just took it to the racetrack for the first time and was amazed quite frankly at the stability and handling this car has, at my local track there are two huge off camber downhill turns that will mess any FWD based car and this R pulled out of both corners with authority. Great car, great reliability, very happy with the R.

Im the same. Never had an issue with both Mk7’s I’ve had.