GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Garages of golfmk7.com: picture thread

GTI210

Ready to race!
My lazy ass needs clean up the other side (which serves as a home gym) so I can start working out again.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
So has anyone here built their garage?
The wife and I are looking at houses and there is one on the short list that currently has a garage, but we would convert it to a master bed/bath.
We would add another garage, so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on attached vs detached when building new.
The reason we are going this route, is because with the current layout of the house, this makes the most sense and will probably require the least amount of work.
At least that is what I'm assuming...
I'm assuming that it would be cheaper to build a whole new garage, instead of building a whole new master bed/bath, in a location that would probable be less ideal.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
So has anyone here built their garage?
The wife and I are looking at houses and there is one on the short list that currently has a garage, but we would convert it to a master bed/bath.
We would add another garage, so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on attached vs detached when building new.
The reason we are going this route, is because with the current layout of the house, this makes the most sense and will probably require the least amount of work.
At least that is what I'm assuming...
I'm assuming that it would be cheaper to build a whole new garage, instead of building a whole new master bed/bath, in a location that would probable be less ideal.

I haven't built one, and probably a non-issue if you're in Florida but one disadvantage to detached is lack of climate control. There are things you can do like insulation and heater/window AC unit but typically it's not as efficient as an attached.

It also might depend on how you use it. If you plan to use if for storage and parking the cars, a fridge, bikes, etc it might be nice to have attached to the house. If you plan to use it for a "shop" with machinery or tools, a detached structure might be better.

Cost to build a new garage + reno the old one vs. just build a master bed/bath extension is hard to know. Would partially depend on what you have in mind for the new garage. Garages can be quite expensive depending on the size, location and construction method/materials/level of finish. Renovating the existing garage into a bedroom and bathroom could be quite expensive on it's own as well. Idk if there's a way of knowing which would be less expensive until you have more specific plans and quotes.

But like you said layout and intended function is probably the most important factor.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
All valid points!
Not worried about climate control one way or the other...for me that is a non-issue.
It would be used entirely for storage and parking cars and a handful of bikes.
The garage on there now is 20x20, I'm sure I won't need a new garage any larger than that (anything will be an upgrade from our current, tiny one car garage).
I THINK the best option for adding the bed/bath will be to convert the existing garage. We have plenty of room to go back but can;t really go out on the sides.
Plus having the master bed/bath where the garage is currently works well for the layout of the house.
Keeping the garage the garage and trying to add on the master bed/bath somewhere else I think would be more of an issue.
Here is a pic just for fun...

As you can see there is plenty of room to move out from the existing structure.
Perhaps even enough space for a 3-car!
One can dream...

Last edited:

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
All valid points!
Not worried about climate control one way or the other...for me that is a non-issue.
It would be used entirely for storage and parking cars and a handful of bikes.
The garage on there now is 20x20, I'm sure I won't need a new garage any larger than that (anything will be an upgrade from our current, tiny one car garage).
I THINK the best option for adding the bed/bath will be to convert the existing garage. We have plenty of room to go back but can;t really go out on the sides.
Plus having the master bed/bath where the garage is currently works well for the layout of the house.
Keeping the garage the garage and trying to add on the master bed/bath somewhere else I think would be more of an issue.
Here is a pic just for fun...

As you can see there is plenty of room to move out from the existing structure.
Perhaps even enough space for a 3-car!
One can dream...

20x20 isn't that big. If you do go the route of adding on an attached or detached garage, I'd go bigger.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Not sure why the pic is no longer working.
But yeah, got a few options.
Will be doing a walk-through with our contractor tomorrow...

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
St. Pete's aint cheap! GL.

Hah not exactly sure how you know that but yeah, the housing market is crazy right now.
I was born and raised in St. Pete (although I was gone for about 5 years from 09-14) and after the recession it has just been booming.
We currently own a 2/2 townhouse but we are outgrowing it very quickly and we are worried we are going to get priced out of some of the neighborhoods we want to be in!

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Wow!
How can I make my floor like yours? Holy shit what a great picture!

+1 on details

I just have bare concrete. I’ve painted the floor in past houses but it peels up where the tires sit, and at the edge. You need to diamond sand it for paint to really adhere.