GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

front sway bars

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
So, I've been putting together the parts for a front end overhaul. The Audi Alu subframe, SuperPro Control Arms, 034 locking collars, fresh Lemforder ball joints and end links, and, finally, the SuperPro 24mm FSB. All will be installed at the same time.

I already have the SuperPro 22mm rear sway bar installed and set to full stiff. What would be the recommended setting for the front? I was thinking full soft or a 1-side-soft/1-side-stiff medium setting.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I run my 27mm front H&R on full stiff. Rear 25mm H&R is not adjustable.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Thanks for the info. For my F/R roll stiffness balance, I would like to keep the slight lift-off oversteer I have now. Sounds like even full stiff on the front probably wouldn't hurt that.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the info. For my F/R roll stiffness balance, I would like to keep the slight lift-off oversteer I have now. Sounds like even full stiff on the front probably wouldn't hurt that.
It doesn't. I almost lift-off over steered myself off the track recently...

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
This is interesting, and I may have to keep it in mind. When I had my Jetta I had 26mm Front/28mm Rear H&R sway bars and it was magical -- the car was very easy to toss around, and would kick the rear end out when coaxed a little. Now with my GTI I've done the rear 25mm ST sway bar, and would consider doing the front as well if the gains are truly that good.

First I've gotta sort some wobble under braking, the car gets a bit too unsettled for my liking when heavy braking from higher speeds.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This is interesting, and I may have to keep it in mind. When I had my Jetta I had 26mm Front/28mm Rear H&R sway bars and it was magical -- the car was very easy to toss around, and would kick the rear end out when coaxed a little. Now with my GTI I've done the rear 25mm ST sway bar, and would consider doing the front as well if the gains are truly that good.

First I've gotta sort some wobble under braking, the car gets a bit too unsettled for my liking when heavy braking from higher speeds.
Tried turning off "straight ahead brake stabilization"?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
An example of oversteer at ~4:55.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Tried turning off "straight ahead brake stabilization"?
I have not (yet), but now I'm going to have to check it out. Currently the GTI is trapped in the garage though.

Attachments

• 20230117_153825.jpg
    20230117_153825.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 56

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I have not (yet), but now I'm going to have to check it out. Currently the GTI is trapped in the garage though.
Worth a shot. You can also turn off "hydraulic brake assist". Both of these are what folks do to help with what appears to be the issue you are having. I have both turned off and feel like my car and threshold brake on the track from triple digits in a much more stabilzed manner than previously but of course, I haven't gone back to stock to test it and you really have to do that to determine what, if anything, these kind of changes do.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
I'm running eibach RSB and APR FSB, increased to FSB stiffness the other day. big improvement for sure and def no increased understeer. Love the change, handles more flat and def feels more grippy. feel like the fronts grip better from a stop somehow also? not sure why or how it would

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm running eibach RSB and APR FSB, increased to FSB stiffness the other day. big improvement for sure and def no increased understeer. Love the change, handles more flat and def feels more grippy. feel like the fronts grip better from a stop somehow also? not sure why or how it would
Can't do that - they do zero in a straight line or when both wheels move at the same time.