GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Found the cheapest Helix Subwoofer 000051419B currently

username205

Ready to race!
Everyone happy with the results after installing this? My MK6 had dynaudio and this SE has base stereo setup and it's boring and flat.
It definitely makes a big difference. I went a bit further and changed out the speakers as well, as the stock speakers were unimpressive.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Everyone happy with the results after installing this? My MK6 had dynaudio and this SE has base stereo setup and it's boring and flat.
Oh dude you went from one of the best-ever factory stereos in a sub-30K car lol, neither Helix nor Fender are on the MK6’s Dynaudio level. Helix is definitely not as balanced or clear. I wish the MK7s also had the same Dynaudio setup lol

username205

Ready to race!
yeah this is my next step now that I have the Helix. BFI has a PnP OEM speaker upgrade kit, pretty interested in it
$700 for four coaxial speakers is insane, and that kit doesn't even address the tweeters. Do yourself a favor and bookmark parts-express.com. I went with their Dayton reference drivers & tweeters for the front, poly midranges for the rear, and grabbed a few of their resistors, inductors, and capacitors for the crossovers. Total cost was less than $200, and the clarity, soundstage and imaging rival some of the fully active 4-way systems I've built.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
$700 for four coaxial speakers is insane, and that kit doesn't even address the tweeters. Do yourself a favor and bookmark parts-express.com. I went with their Dayton reference drivers & tweeters for the front, poly midranges for the rear, and grabbed a few of their resistors, inductors, and capacitors for the crossovers. Total cost was less than $200, and the clarity, soundstage and imaging rival some of the fully active 4-way systems I've built.
Something I've found with a lot of the speaker upgrades, few seem to include the tweeter. IF that's because the normal person taking off the A pillar trim seems out of the question, I don't know.

The Audiotech Ficher speakers, which is Helix's parent company that another user emailed to confirm they'd work with the woofer/dsp are the only one's i've seen. They come with 2 tweeters and two woofers for the 8 speaker MK7s.
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/product-archive/speakers/ms-62c-vw.1
https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/so...speakers-with-a-helix.9431281/#post-114701029

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The A-pillar trim is a bear to take off, the two stage clips that release for the airbags are exactly zero fun. It feels like you're going to break something, and you will if you don't have a look in there to see exactly what you're yanking on. Really long needle nose pliers would be helpful. The shop manual says always replace the clips, and you should, good that they're cheap.

I first installed the Helix system with stock speakers. Made a big improvement, money well spent. I did eventually replace the front door speakers and that made a difference as well, more noticeable at louder volumes though. I did not replace the tweeters though. In retrospect I had the perfect chance when I replaced A-pillar trims but it's such a pain that I'm not going to remove them to replace them now, haha.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

so my problem is audio is a whole new world to me that I frankly do not understand. I need like a consultant to tell me what I need so I can bring that to an installer. All that for $200 sounds awesome lol.

username205

Ready to race!
so my problem is audio is a whole new world to me that I frankly do not understand. I need like a consultant to tell me what I need so I can bring that to an installer. All that for $200 sounds awesome lol.
Lol all you really need to understand is negative and positive. As long as you have basic tools like a soldering iron and wire strippers, it's really not that bad. IMO the trickiest part is removing the old door speakers and fabricating/mounting MDF rings for aftermarket speakers. See pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_182004.jpg
    IMG_20200315_182004.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20200315_193135.jpg
    IMG_20200315_193135.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20200303_221925.jpg
    IMG_20200303_221925.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 155

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I also come from a Mk6 that had Dynaudio and I installed the Helix system about a week ago. I'm very happy with the Helix, especially for the price, but it does fall flat at certain mid-range frequencies that were otherwise pronounced with Dynaudio. That said, it's a big improvement over the stock system in my 2017 Sport. I'm currently on program 57 and haven't tried any of the others yet to see if there's any difference. My audio requirements are rather simple, I'm not trying to win sub contests with the local high schoolers, but I want to hear when Waters or Gilmour is playing bass.

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I also come from a Mk6 that had Dynaudio and I installed the Helix system about a week ago. I'm very happy with the Helix, especially for the price, but it does fall flat at certain mid-range frequencies that were otherwise pronounced with Dynaudio. That said, it's a big improvement over the stock system in my 2017 Sport. I'm currently on program 57 and haven't tried any of the others yet to see if there's any difference. My audio requirements are rather simple, I'm not trying to win sub contests with the local high schoolers, but I want to hear when Waters or Gilmour is playing bass.
Helix was a great upgrade on the MK7. Loved the system in my MK6 R, but for the price and quick install of the Helix, I'm super happy with the speakers in the wagon now. Especially after coding it with a rental dongle.

I feel you get the most bang for your buck out of the helix when streaming music via Carplay or Android Auto. Bluetooth is alright, along with radio, but no where near as crisp as high rate audio files through a cable.

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I feel you get the most bang for your buck out of the helix when streaming music via Carplay or Android Auto. Bluetooth is alright, along with radio, but no where near as crisp as high rate audio files through a cable.
It's hard to believe how much more clear the same speaker system is after installing it. The compression on Sirius is more noticeable now, for instance, but I think even 320 mp3s sound fine over android auto/plexamp and on the sd card.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
It's hard to believe how much more clear the same speaker system is after installing it. The compression on Sirius is more noticeable now, for instance, but I think even 320 mp3s sound fine over android auto/plexamp and on the sd card.

Why would the speakers themselves sound more clear? Complete audio noob here.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Why would the speakers themselves sound more clear? Complete audio noob here.
It’s definitely not a function of the speakers themselves as the cones are cheapy crap, but a function of the DSP, Amp, and Sub changing the sound output so much. DSP sets Crossover points between Tweeters/woofers/net-new sub, which means the frequencies cut over to different speakers at more ideal ranges. And the sub relieves low end responsibilities from the midrange drivers, allowing them to focus on making midrange sound, which really helps with clarity. Last, the amp simply gives the whole system more oomph. It will sound clearer at any given volume, but especially at higher volumes.

username205

Ready to race!
It’s definitely not a function of the speakers themselves as the cones are cheapy crap, but a function of the DSP, Amp, and Sub changing the sound output so much. DSP sets Crossover points between Tweeters/woofers/net-new sub, which means the frequencies cut over to different speakers at more ideal ranges. And the sub relieves low end responsibilities from the midrange drivers, allowing them to focus on making midrange sound, which really helps with clarity. Last, the amp simply gives the whole system more oomph. It will sound clearer at any given volume, but especially at higher volumes.
There's also a bit of time alignment going on, which becomes very apparent after programming the soundbox. The sound goes from scattered around the car to focused right in the middle of the dashboard, as it should be. As Dog Dad Wagon (lol) said, the stock speakers leave lots of room for improvement.