GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First time pulled over...some questions.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
He doesn't need you to admit to how fast you were going to write you, he just felt like writing you a warning.

I guess I should have elaborated that I wasn't actually going over the speed limit in that situation, I just accelerated onto the road enthusiastically stage 2 with a Borla CB (which is LOUD) which caused him to pull me over.

And since when can a cop write speeding tickets based solely on sight? Reckless driving or street racing, yes, but for a speeding ticket, I was under the impression they needed a radar, laser, or aircraft measuring distance. You're saying a cop can just look at you from the side of the highway and say "yup, he's going 15 mph over, here's a speeding ticket"?

Also, 66 in a 60 is a stupid ass fucking ticket. I got stopped on my bike doing 67 in a 65, and got a ticket for no license plate light and having my high beams on. He also lectured me about wearing ear plugs while riding. I informed him of hearing damage from wind noise. Dude was a dick, and I fought the tickets. Beat both of them fair and square. Some cops are douche bags and go on a power trip and have an ego that you can't make happy no matter what. I've come across a few in my time.

Very lame.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Who/what says you require/deserve and explanation?

FWIW, traffic laws aren't the only times cops/DAs use discretion and don't punish/prosecute/fine/whatever to the exact letter of the law.

Let it go.

People are treated unfairly across the board, therefore it's OK?

If we all just let it go then nothing will ever improve. IMO it's easier to start with small black and white issues like speeding. We have known speed limits, radar guns, and known points/fine schedules all of which are laid out clearly and specifically. There is no reason whatsoever for any 2 people to ever get a different "sentence" for the same speeding offense.

It's obviously a lot more complicated in the case of say rape... therefore we should start with the easy stuff and work our way up to fixing larger injustices after we've built some precedents and tested some different approaches.

You seem to be saying "Big injustices happen, therefore we should ignore small ones" which sounds like 3rd world dictatorship thinking to me, not they way of the USA.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion

If we all just let it go then nothing will ever improve. IMO it's easier to start with small black and white issues like speeding. We have known speed limits, radar guns, and known points/fine schedules all of which are laid out clearly and specifically. There is no reason whatsoever for any 2 people to ever get a different "sentence" for the same speeding offense.

It's obviously a lot more complicated in the case of say rape... therefore we should start with the easy stuff and work our way up to fixing larger injustices after we've built some precedents and tested some different approaches.

You seem to be saying "Big injustices happen, therefore we should ignore small ones" which sounds like 3rd world dictatorship thinking to me, not they way of the USA.

I can't necessarily argue with your point here (not that I was trying to do that initially anyways). It is weird that some people get different sentences for the same crime, but since I haven't had your luck, I have no problem with letting it go. Might be fucked up, but I have no incentive to change something that has been helpful to me.

hooligan74

Ready to race!
No, I'm saying traffic stops (the subject of this thread) aren't the only legal scenarios where the exact letter of the law isn't implemented 100% of the time. It's reality. I'm saying it's good or bad, I'm saying it is.

You want to try and change that? Godspeed and be careful what you ask for.

Our legal system isn't perfect, but I haven't found a better one anywhere else.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
And since when can a cop write speeding tickets based solely on sight? Reckless driving or street racing, yes, but for a speeding ticket, I was under the impression they needed a radar, laser, or aircraft measuring distance. You're saying a cop can just look at you from the side of the highway and say "yup, he's going 15 mph over

Yes it is possible to be written a ticket with just a 'visual estimate of speed'. It holds up in courts too.

outshined

Go Kart Champion

I still don't think you understand the difference between discretion and prejudice. Do you understand the basic concept of spirit of the law/letter of the law?

If you actually want to get rid of discretion, we're going to need a billion more officers and have to pay significantly more taxes. Then every violation of the law can be fully enforced.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
This thread is getting serious mileage.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Lower taxes brah. If we stop giving people breaks for speeding we will see a major revenue increase.

The only change necessary:

IF a cop pulls someone over who is speeding, they automatically must ticket them for the exact speed they were going. End of story, no debate. This adds zero extra workload and massive amounts of extra revenue.

outshined

Go Kart Champion
That is not fair to all the people who were speeding and didn't get pulled over.

Also, it adds workload and doesn't produce much extra revenue.

nakenyon

Go Kart Champion
Lower taxes brah. If we stop giving people breaks for speeding we will see a major revenue increase.

IF a cop pulls someone over who is speeding, they automatically must ticket them for the exact speed they were going. End of story, no debate. This adds zero extra workload and massive amounts of extra revenue.

You'll see a major increase in people going to court over speeding tickets if they ticket everyone at the exact speed they are going. At best you would see a wash in revenue because of the need to increase the number of judges, number of clerks, and amount of overtime officers work to go to court when someone fights a ticket.

rjohnson5481

Ready to race!

What about the extra paperwork associated with the increase in citations, everyone who was let off on a warning is now a citation.

There is discretion in everything, thinking about the term "beyond a reasonable doubt", that could mean two different things to you and I meaning that I would convict with much less evidence than you or vice versa.

I get the feeling that you've never seen the positive side of discretion, everyone gets in sticky situations. And that doesn't mean they shouldn't be held accountable but the ultimate goal in the case of speeding is safety, right? Why punish to the full extent of the law when a lesser punishment will suffice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outshined

Go Kart Champion
Oh crap, crazy guy with a knife call? Let me just finish getting all this person's info and completing the ticket fully for all his/her violations then I'll be on my way. Don't worry person being threatened with the knife, I'll get there when I get there. Got to deal with this speeder first.