GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finding RPM signal for dynojet torque reading

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
So, i'm planning on heading to a local dyno on Saturday (2 days). Going to grab some ED stage 2 HT numbers and get a run with and without meth.

I've read a few threads where people had a hard time finding the tach signal for the dyno.

The shop i'm taking the car to is a mustang place. I expect they won't be very knowledgeable about this type of thing on a VW.

What wire do they need to grab?

Here's cylinder 1 (passenger side)

I see heavy gauge black (ground) brown and red, and a thinner purple wire with a green stripe

Here's a shot of all the coilpacks:

Cylinder and color of small wire:
1: purple/green stripe
2: purple/blue stripe
3: light blue
4: purple/yellow stripe

Anybody who's dyno'd, please let me know.

Preemptive thanks!

donp

Ready to race!
I haven't dyno'd my car yet, but usually you attach the rpm signal to one of the ignition coil wires.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Brown wire cylinder 1 is what I remember when me and the dyno guys were trying to figure it out at Eurohangar last year.

Chris@Revo USA1

Ready to race!
I haven't used an inductive pickup in years.

They should have an obd2 plug or be able to calibrate roller/wheel speed to rpm, this is less accurate since there isn't an exact 1:1 gear usually but its close enough for the test being done. Done this both ways on Mk7s in the past few months when getting some additional data off a local dynojet.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
George got back to me.

Checking out the brown wire with a multimeter tomorrow.

Reviving this. Did you ever figure this out? I'm thinking about getting a progressive shift light and it's going to need to hook into a wire for RPM.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
PM'd, but for the good of the order...

I got this from George when I originally asked.

George Smooth said:
nkresho said:

Hi,

I have not needed to get the rpm signal manually but my understanding is that its the brown wire, easiest to get to at cylinder 1 at the left as you look at the motor.
The dynojet we do use has a CAN input for rpm signal.

Thanks,

George

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Update: The brown wire did not work for me. From cylinder one, it’s the purple/green wire that did the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk