GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Final Drive Ratio?

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Is there any way to change the final drive ratio on this car to fix the long gearing and just have more acceleration? How hard of a process is that?

teemmy

Ready to race!
I’ve thought about this too. 2nd gear is so tall. I feel like the gti would definitely feel like more of a sports car if the gearing were shorter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Dsg is 4.77 versus 3.42 on manual. 1-2 gear is very long legged on manual. Just add more boost and bolt on’s. But then your going to just spin 1-2 without DR’s.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
No one learns anything with replies like that. You could have said "yeah it involves xyz" but "if you have to ask" is pointless.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

He's right tho. Re-gearing the car is an extensive amount of work.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Pretty sure the gears are interchangeable between mk6 and mk7 transmission, possibly even further back. The 6MT has gone pretty unchanged for a long time with the exception of the PP diff.

Or like others said, could swap a mk6 trans in. Honestly better off adding power, our cars make so much torque the long gears work out

teemmy

Ready to race!
More power solves all... :)
Go IS38 and you will be wishing for longer gears lol.
Or go bigger wheels/tires.

3rd gear w/the is38 is sooooo good. But for just daily speeding around surface roads the car just doesn't feel as sporty since the gearing is so tall :/ I feel like my buddy's 6mt tsx actually feels more fun to drive around town because of it's short gears