GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender subwoofer mods

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
Speakers usually need a little time to loosen up. Maybe use it for a week and then do the same comparison.
I will give it a shot since I already made the investment. I think the stock power isn’t enough to push this sub the way it is intended. I will swap it back in and give it some time.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Going back through the thread as I am planning on doing the upgrade soonish...

Axman: I know its hard to quantify, but do you think the memphis is worth the extra work for what you say is more powerful bass?

xXDavidCXx and RotaryKnight: How have you liked the Kicker after some time with the set up? Are you satisfied with where it's at or do you wish it was still more?

Anyone else who has done kicker or memphis sub, I would also love to hear your feedback after some time with it

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Going back through the thread as I am planning on doing the upgrade soonish...

Axman: I know its hard to quantify, but do you think the memphis is worth the extra work for what you say is more powerful bass?

xXDavidCXx and RotaryKnight: How have you liked the Kicker after some time with the set up? Are you satisfied with where it's at or do you wish it was still more?

Anyone else who has done kicker or memphis sub, I would also love to hear your feedback after some time with it
I have another 8 inch woofer in an external box when I get the feeling for more bass, otherwise, it's a nice upgrade, and I can keep the trunk clean and free. The OEM sub could not be run at +9 at higher volumes. The kicker can. Good for the windows down.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
The link for the memphis on page 2 is for dual 2 ohm. Yall sure the fender is dual 2? I'd suspect its dual 4 yielding a 2 ohm load at the amp. Using dual 2 ohm will cut your amp power in half.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Use polyfil. The stock box isn’t large enough volume for anything else.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
The link for the memphis on page 2 is for dual 2 ohm. Yall sure the fender is dual 2? I'd suspect its dual 4 yielding a 2 ohm load at the amp. Using dual 2 ohm will cut your amp power in half.
Dual 2 ohm is stamped on the back of the stock woofer so I'd say yes.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I will give it a shot since I already made the investment. I think the stock power isn’t enough to push this sub the way it is intended. I will swap it back in and give it some time.

How is it sounding after a week of use?

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
sorry for the late reply, honestly it has more bass at louder volume over the stock sub , however at volume low it just does not have the same bass. Since I don't listen to very loud music I will be returning to the stock sub

tiharo

Car(s)
2018 Golf R DSG
I have designed a spacer in Fusion360 for the Fender box to add any 6.5" subwoofer (I'll be installing the Memphis sub). Going to 3D print it tonight out of PETG. I'll be releasing the design for free once I verify fitment. I'll also custom design a spacer for anyone who needs one.
Fusion360_2020-09-29_21-41-04.png
prusa-slicer_2020-09-29_21-41-22.png

Last edited:

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
I have designed a spacer in Fusion360 for the Fender box to add any 6.5" subwoofer (I'll be installing the Memphis sub). Going to 3D print it tonight out of PETG. I'll be releasing the design for free once I verify fitment. I'll also custom design a spacer for anyone who needs one.View attachment 187426View attachment 187427
Wow you’re amazing! Thank you! Do you think it’ll work well for the kicker as well?

tiharo

Car(s)
2018 Golf R DSG
Wow you’re amazing! Thank you! Do you think it’ll work well for the kicker as well?
I'm sure it would as long as it follows the same hole layout standard. I'm using wood screws that are longer than the stock screws to mount the new sub with the stock grill onto my spacer. Going to use PlasticWeld (or whatever it is called) to permanently attach the spacer to the Fender sub box. Going to add polyfill tomorrow as recommend earlier in this thread.