GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender subwoofer mods

dsgvw

Ready to race!
Had my MK7 for a month or so now and the subwoofer although decent leaves me wondering if some simple mods will take it to a new level.

Based on another thread I flipped it upside down so it’s facing down now and put the spare on top of it. Decent difference in sound, seems a bit fuller, maybe placebo.

Tried different headunit equalizer settings and still working on finding a sweet spot that works.

Seems there is no aftermarket speaker to pop in the same spot and have increased sound.

Did find this random setting in VCDS.. wondering if I can change it to 50 or so and get some lower notes out of it. Granted higher volumes will be a mess.

Any other useful advise outside of getting rid of it and wiring in an uberstealth box and amp?

dsgvw

Ready to race!
Definitely interested about the frequency change. Try it out.

Holy crap this made it sound 3x better. Hello low range! Though not insanely loud (remember tiny little speaker) it hits lower frequencies!

Put mine on 50hz for now and totally rounds out the sound that was missing.

47 Sound system
Adaptation
Scroll all the way down to low frequency and change from 100 to whatever you like. Hit do it and reread channel. Test and enjoy! Was easy to hear the difference.

Not sure of long term abuse to the sub hitting lower frequencies but I’ll risk it as it sounds great.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Will have to try this tomorrow. Nice find!

Maybe a dumb question but are you sure this setting is specifically for the sub, and not all speakers?

Admittedly not an audiophile...

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Hmm I may have to try this. I've always felt the sub was a little weak. What equalizer settings do you guys have? 6 sub, 3 bass, -1 mid, and 2 treb for me

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Does this actually do anything worthwhile?
I have done this a while back and I would say yes it does. The bass is much tighter and more defined . Quite a few people have done this "mod" and have had similar results.

Last edited:

dsgvw

Ready to race!
I have done this a whole back and I would say yes it does. The bass is much tighter and more defined . Quite a few people have done this "mod" and have had similar results.

Anyone know how many ounces are appropriate for the enclosure?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Anyone know how many ounces are appropriate for the enclosure?
I read that people have put in between 4-4.5oz of polyfil. I put in about 4.5oz into mine.

boostin1004

Ready to race!
i can't remember how much i got into my enclosure. I used about half the bag from michaels and I used a flexible wand to push it into the back of the enclosure.

Holy crap this made it sound 3x better. Hello low range! Though not insanely loud (remember tiny little speaker) it hits lower frequencies!

Put mine on 50hz for now and totally rounds out the sound that was missing.

47 Sound system
Adaptation
Scroll all the way down to low frequency and change from 100 to whatever you like. Hit do it and reread channel. Test and enjoy! Was easy to hear the difference.

Not sure of long term abuse to the sub hitting lower frequencies but I’ll risk it as it sounds great.

I believe that would be the low pass filter for the other speakers to filter out bass notes from them. I played a test tone of 50 hz with the volume cranked when setting the gain for my big amp (i use the fender sub as a signal for the amp), and I had forgotten to unplug the fender sub, which then proceeded to blast at me. the fender sub plays all the lows already