GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Factory applied window film?

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
TLDR at bottom.

Recently purchased a 2020 S from a dealer a few hours away so I could not inspect the car beforehand. Did a video walk-around and everything looked great. Got there to sign paperwork and pick up the car and noticed the car had already been tinted. The salesperson said they have all their cars tinted. I didn't make a big deal about it because I was going to tint anyways, (although probably not as dark) and I figured could live with it since I was saving $300-400.

After getting home and giving the car a good clean, I noticed at least two of the windows had the film installed poorly. Still no big deal really, still gotta be cheaper to re-do two windows than a complete tint job. So I reached out to the dealer to see if I could find out what brand and darkness the film was, or at least the installer so I could find out myself. This is where it gets interesting.

The sales director, who was the one I dealt with pre-purchase, told me she would reach out to the tint company as they outsource that part of the business. Haven't heard a word from her in almost a month. The salesperson that I dealt with when I picked up was going to see if I could take it to a local dealership and have it fixed under warranty. No response for 2 weeks. I reached out to another salesperson that I talked to for 5 minutes for help. He forwarded my request back to the salesperson. This time, she stated the tint came from the factory, was 20%, but was not sure of the brand of film. I'm calling BS on that.

So my question is, could you order a GTI with tint (actual film tint, not privacy glass) from the factory? And if so, would that even be something you could have fixed under warranty?

TLDR - can you order a GTI with factory tinted windows, film, not privacy glass?

gmgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
I'm not sure if ordering from the factory is possible, but any tint installer that knows what they're doing should be able to tell you the level of tint immediately.

I do however know that a bunch of dealerships add tint on once it's on their lot. The other car I looked at had a line item for it ($300)

I paid $200 by a local and great place that warranties the work.

Congrats on your 2020 S. I picked up the same car 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• side view.png
    side view.png
    638.4 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

Elcheapo Loco

Ready to race!
None of the manufacturers tint their glass at the factory. Only SUVs come with "privacy glass" which is not tint film. Your dealership is full of shit and shouldn't come as a surprise.

ALL dealerships outsource their window tinting. Some used car dealerships tint all their cars just so they can pad the profit. Stop talking to the salespeople and try to talk to the techs in the shop, or anyone who preps the cars. They should be able to tell you who does their tint jobs.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
VW offered two tints (glass not film) on the rear side glass from factory for the MK7/7.5 Golf...the highest was a 90%..(privacy glass)

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
So my question is, could you order a GTI with tint (actual film tint, not privacy glass) from the factory? And if so, would that even be something you could have fixed under warranty?

TLDR - can you order a GTI with factory tinted windows, film, not privacy glass?

GTIs sold in US do not come with tint from the factory. I have not seen this as a option in the order sheet as well.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
GTIs sold in US do not come with tint from the factory. I have not seen this as a option in the order sheet as well.

yea, and 20% is pretty dark if all around but its probably one of the most common if you don't care about the law. OP, Looks like your in NC and law is any tint on back windows, 35% up front so if they put 20 up front that is illegal.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Actually I was wrong on tint laws that was for suvs. Below is sedans, so basically 20% is illegal on any window, crazy a dealer would install that on every car

Front Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in. Back Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in. Rear Window: Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Source: https://www.tinting-laws.com/north-carolina/
Copyright © Tinting-Laws.com

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If it's on the invoice just turn the dealer into the state. Then sue them for the cost for restoring the car back to stock. Check the rubber around the glass for razor blade cuts and put it on the suit.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
My dealer knows that if a front plate bracket is on the deal is off. Tint? NFW.

cb1111

No manufacturer will "apply" tint. In Germany you can order some cars with tinted glass (about 75%), but it is in the glass, not applied.

It would be foolish for a manufacturer to apply 20% tint as that would be illegal in most states and they couldn't sell the cars there.

The dealer is, as usual, a lying sack of sh.....

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
Thanks everybody. Forgot to mention this in the original post, but the salesperson at the dealer the day I picked it up stated is was 35%, which is what it looks like. I don't know if it's ceramic (doubt it), or some basic dyed film. There is a small additional sticker next to the big window sticker showing "Window Tint - $400"

I don't understand why the dealership is being weird about this. They were straightforward and easy to deal with up until now. All I want to know is who installed the tint and what kind.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
Just go in person and speak with a the manager. Easy to blow someone off over the phone. Also if you havent left a review, threaten to give them all 1's on their dealer survey