GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro MIB II 8" glass screen

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The topic title is Euro 8" MIB II Glass... so discussion of of main units is off topic. Information that a specific main unit part number from a given manufacturer is not app-connect capable is great knowledge for the community, but someone looking for MIB II main unit part numbers is unlikely to be looking in this thread, based on the thread title. Discussion of trim part numbers makes sense here, as trim/screens go hand in hand, but there are separate threads about trim as well. And I realize that this forum is all about helping each other out, that's why I'm a member here and try to post what I know.

I retrofitted MIB II (non-nav) with 6.5" screen, then MIB II (nav) still with 6.5" screen, AID installed around this time, then 8" matte screen, then 8" glass screen (plugged in, but trim was broken so never fully installed), then MIB 2.5. So I've pretty much had every iteration of MIB retrofit available, and multiple units of some as I've had eBay units fail on me after a couple months. I've had new units from the dealer, used from eBay, and plug & play units (APG Poland). I've had the dealer do what the could (not much), Jack using the older method sof activation, Simaservis with the newer methods, APG modify software to specifically ignore certain faults... suffice to say I've been through it. Undoubtedly I have thousands of dollars and tens of hours into MIB II, MIB 2.5, and even research into getting a USB C port working with MIB II (fruitless thus far but I have a plan).

Doesn't make me an expert by any means. But reading the last few pages of responses was confusing to me, and I'm quite familiar with the process.

subkumquat

Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Where are y'all sourcing your screens? Just playing eBay roulette and hoping for a good one from some random Eastern European country or from authorized VW dealers? Thanks!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Where are y'all sourcing your screens? Just playing eBay roulette and hoping for a good one from some random Eastern European country or from authorized VW dealers? Thanks!

Many people are getting them from @MauricioGTI via the classifieds here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/oem-8-mib-2-5-mk7-5-display.374997/

If you search eBay, make sure you do an advance search for the part number, and choose "Include titles and descriptions", as many auctions don't actually put the part number in the title. Like this auction for example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284273263722

The same screen is used across nearly all VW models, so it doesn't have to come specifically from a Golf or GTI. You just want to make sure the part number matches up with what you need, either nav or non-nav.

robenku

Car(s)
et
Does anyone know whether this will work with a 2020 S? Nothing in the glove compartment. Is the only easy option to purchase a Chinese market RCD520? I assume Sirius won't work with that? Appreciate the help!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Does anyone know whether this will work with a 2020 S? Nothing in the glove compartment. Is the only easy option to purchase a Chinese market RCD520? I assume Sirius won't work with that? Appreciate the help!

No, it won't work in an S unless you do a full MIB2/2.5/3 swap.

I don't think SiriusXM will work with the RCD520. @El_bigote_AJ could confirm.

everest_4

Car(s)
7.5R 6MT
Stealing off this thread a little bit, I have a 2017 Golf R that I did the 8” screen upgrade on. All is working, but even when the car is off the screen is still drawing power and draining my battery. What should I check?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You're sure it's the screen? And if yes how did you determine that? It can be a few minutes between the time that you turn off/lock the car and when the main unit goes to sleep. The screen doesn't stay on for that. You can however always turn the screen on using the power button but don't mistake that the screen being "on" and draining your battery.

Replacing the screen (from 6.5 to 8) should be a transparent upgrade from the vehicle's perspective. The infotainment unit "knows" your new screen serial number doesn't match and there will be a fault there that only shows up in a scan. But it's a fault that has no consequence and you don't ever have to clear if you don't want to.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Replacing the screen (from 6.5 to 8) should be a transparent upgrade from the vehicle's perspective. The infotainment unit "knows" your new screen serial number doesn't match and there will be a fault there that only shows up in a scan. But it's a fault that has no consequence and you don't ever have to clear if you don't want to.

I actually found out the other day that when SimaServis was taking care of my digital dash, he fixed that for me lol. No longer have the error for swapping the screen!

everest_4

Car(s)
7.5R 6MT
You're sure it's the screen? And if yes how did you determine that? It can be a few minutes between the time that you turn off/lock the car and when the main unit goes to sleep. The screen doesn't stay on for that. You can however always turn the screen on using the power button but don't mistake that the screen being "on" and draining your battery.

I wouldn’t say 100% sure, but nothing changed overnight and I can leave the car off for hours and come back and see the screen on through the windows without unlocking

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I wouldn’t say 100% sure, but nothing changed overnight and I can leave the car off for hours and come back and see the screen on through the windows without unlocking

Try putting the other screen back temporarily, and see if it still does it? Only takes a couple minutes to swap.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Man that is weird. Do you turn on the screen using the power button before turning on the car?

I thought there was something silly with my MIB 1 where if I turned it on "manually" I also had to turn it back off the same way. It's very possible I'm mis-remembering exactly what the weirdness was though, it was years ago. Plus you have MIB II anyway, just spit balling.

If you turn the screen off manually when it's stuck on will it stay off? Or does it turn itself back on by the time you come back?

everest_4

Car(s)
7.5R 6MT
Man that is weird. Do you turn on the screen using the power button before turning on the car?

I thought there was something silly with my MIB 1 where if I turned it on "manually" I also had to turn it back off the same way. It's very possible I'm mis-remembering exactly what the weirdness was though, it was years ago. Plus you have MIB II anyway, just spit balling.

If you turn the screen off manually when it's stuck on will it stay off? Or does it turn itself back on by the time you come back?
I’ll check the manual on/off. Also going to be switching back to the original screen to see if the problem persists or if there’s any other problems I might’ve missed

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Can someone that knows verify part# 5G6919605A will plug and play to my 2017 GTI SE (non-nav)? I heard a rumor that it plugs in, but will ask for a code? Anyone with my exact year swap with part# 5G6919605A and it work ok? Trying to make sure before I order. Thanks in advance.