GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro MIB II 8" glass screen

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Does anyone know what the difference is between the model numbers of this unit? I found one that is Just 5G6-919-605.. i see ones that have a, c at the end of the part number that are non navi.. this one is neither and has a setup button on the upper right as opposed to APP on the other units.. this says h52 also.. is this a brand new ‘21 version?
So I'm not expert on this, having just started my own MIB1 > MIB2 upgrade, but I recognised the part number and checked out a few parts I have in the house at the moment.

5G6-919-605 is the part number for the 5.8" display I had for my GTD's Composition Media system. It's a European non-Nav unit with a Setup button where the Nav button would be and a Mute button where the Voice button is:

1621759741807.jpeg
1621760049155.jpeg

I happen to have a MIB2 unit here as well, with a 6" display - the part number for it is:

1621760079727.jpeg

It's also the same around the front - the only difference is that glossy black bezel you see around the display panel on the first one is missing, which is how I imagine the display in your car currently looks..

I will check the part numbering for the 8" matte display that's now in my car later and confirm what they are for you - hopefully it will be of some help. From what I can see here, it looks as if the 'H' number might have something to do with it (I could be wrong) as I know the letters at the end usually signify something to do with the stage of the stage in the life-cycle the car was manufactured. I've seen someone on here saying that the 'C' MIB2 units have less bugs than the 'A' or 'B' ones - you might want to fact-check that though.

I know, for example, that the 'C' MIB2 units are the only ones compatible with the digital cockpit - for example. I don't think there is any issue with compatibility between the lettering and the MIB units themselves - a B display should work with a C unit, for example - but again, I'd confirm that with someone else here before you commit to buying anything.

Having been stuck looking for a new interior trim to fit my 8" display in my GTD, I've sort of arrived at the conclusion that VW intentionally put no sequence in their part numbers to make it harder to figure out what they are. 2 dealers in the UK have both told me this week that they are very anti-retrofit and I feel like this is another effort to, on their part, to make it more difficult!

I could be wrong though...

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The MIB I Composition Media screen part number starts with 5G0, the 8" Glass MIB II screen part number starts with 5G6.

I would not recommend being worried about the H** part, it's not really part of the part number.

And MIB II units, even before the "...C" part numbers work fine with the digital dash. I had one in my car with maps working fine in the dash, part number 3Q0 035 876 A.

And yes, generally speaking all of the MIB II screens will work with any MIB II main unit. You may have a button (like Nav) that doesn't function if you have a non-nav main unit... And I believe the App button of the 8" glass screens didn't work with earlier MIB II units (but it would take some digging to find the exact part number combo).

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
Im trying to figure out the lifecycles and part numbers of the units.. and yes i do agree vw makes it hard to decipher prob on purpose or maybe cause German engineered lol.. im prob gonna stick w the “a” or “c” versions with the app button.. realized too that the setup version on the right side also was missing “voice” button and instead has a mute button..

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
Also i found a different part number for the polar grey trim surround with vents that cost $101 plus shipping from vw.. i ordered it.. hopefully it fits.. looks like the alltrack version.. says fits, golf r, gti, e-golf, golf..

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Polar night is the color on the alltrack. As far as the main units I wouldn't get yourself too wrapped up in the exact meaning of the letters at the end. Just find the part number for what you want (non-nav, with nav, or disco pro). At times when there were more than one manufacturer for a given unit the letter seemed to be the designation. But later the letters seem to just be the same unit with later software.

For the screens you should be able to find pictures of the various part numbers pretty easily do you can get the buttons you want. eBay listings are pretty good for that, even if you're not planning to buy there. There are some Mk7s that do not have the multifunction steering wheel. The screens with the voice button are probably "intended" for those cars.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
On the units themselves, don't make the mistake I made last week and order one manufactured by Technisat. Simaservis told me they don't support AppConnect, only MirrorLink, so you won't get CarPlay or AndroidAuto with that one.

Something to do with not having enough RAM apparently, there are only a small handful of Technisat units out there which actually support it I believe.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
On the units themselves, don't make the mistake I made last week and order one manufactured by Technisat. Simaservis told me they don't support AppConnect, only MirrorLink, so you won't get CarPlay or AndroidAuto with that one.

Something to do with not having enough RAM apparently, there are only a small handful of Technisat units out there which actually support it I believe.
How do you know who makes the unit by looking at them? All i see is the stickers on the back.. dont usually see a company name on any of them.. just see different made in countries..

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
How do you know who makes the unit by looking at them? All i see is the stickers on the back.. dont usually see a company name on any of them.. just see different made in countries..

Technisat:

1621862866484.png

Delphi:

1621862897114.png

I believe there is a third one, I can't remember what it is. It may be Panasonic - I think that's who manufactured my MIB1 unit

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You guys are really complicating this, haha

If you want MIB II without Nav, pickup PN 3Q0035844 (no letter, or any letter should be fine)
If you want MIB II with Nav, pickup PN 3Q0 035 876 (I would look for an A or B unit, if you're going with a screen with the App button)

Granted both of those units are getting hard to find (they went down in price, but are back up) they are confirmed to work.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie

If you want MIB II without Nav, pickup PN 3Q0035844 (no letter, or any letter should be fine)
If you want MIB II with Nav, pickup PN 3Q0 035 876 (I would look for an A or B unit, if you're going with a screen with the App button)

Granted both of those units are getting hard to find (they went down in price, but are back up) they are confirmed to work.
Just realized.. we are talking about separate units.. I’m referring to the mk7.5 all glass units..sorry for the confusion

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD

I’m not complicating anything?

I bought an 874 unit (MIB2 with Nav) so I can have CarPlay. Because it’s a Technisat unit, it only has MirrorLink, no AppConnect support.

As such, have been told to buy a Delphi unit because it’s guaranteed to work. That advice came from Simaservis, who codes and activates these things constantly.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This thread is about the glass screen so all the discussion about main units is off topic. There's a long, detailed thread here about MIB II retrofits and tons more threads talking about part numbers. In the 80+ pages over there (most of which I've read through more than once) there is little to no discussion about software part numbers as the main NNN-NNN-NNN-X part number has been enough for lots of people to get the retrofit done.

Distinctions are not being made between NAR units (which @Lucky#Slevin would be interested in, although it has been clarified they are looking at screens, which is on topic) and ROW units which I presume you would be looking at (DAB, telephony, SIM, etc... but not HD FM and SiriusXM). I had a Technisat unit with app-connect working fine until a hardware failure, it was a 3Q0035876... came out of a 2016 NAR Golf R I believe. I replaced it with a 3Q0035876A because that's all I could find. It was a Delphi and app-connect worked fine until I removed it to go MIB 2.5. A user here bought it and it's still kicking for them.

I don't know the specs on 3Q0 035 874 but I trust that Simaservis knows what he's talking about. He did work on my MIB 2.5. I couldn't find any info that NAR ever got any 874 units so maybe they don't support app-connect (or don't support it properly). Possibly that's the reason Delphi was tagged to make the later units.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
This thread is about the glass screen so all the discussion about main units is off topic. There's a long, detailed thread here about MIB II retrofits and tons more threads talking about part numbers. In the 80+ pages over there (most of which I've read through more than once) there is little to no discussion about software part numbers as the main NNN-NNN-NNN-X part number has been enough for lots of people to get the retrofit done.

Distinctions are not being made between NAR units (which @Lucky#Slevin would be interested in, although it has been clarified they are looking at screens, which is on topic) and ROW units which I presume you would be looking at (DAB, telephony, SIM, etc... but not HD FM and SiriusXM). I had a Technisat unit with app-connect working fine until a hardware failure, it was a 3Q0035876... came out of a 2016 NAR Golf R I believe. I replaced it with a 3Q0035876A because that's all I could find. It was a Delphi and app-connect worked fine until I removed it to go MIB 2.5. A user here bought it and it's still kicking for them.

I don't know the specs on 3Q0 035 874 but I trust that Simaservis knows what he's talking about. He did work on my MIB 2.5. I couldn't find any info that NAR ever got any 874 units so maybe they don't support app-connect (or don't support it properly). Possibly that's the reason Delphi was tagged to make the later units.

I made the point that all part numbers were for European parts so yes, a distinction was made. I don't know what NAR parts look like, having not owned (or driven) a VW in the US.

At the end of the day, there will be a correlation between the various numbers on the back, the display sizes, resolutions and keys on the front - whatever. All of the information I've shared here, regarding the lettering used a the end of each part number, is what I have gleaned from discssion with Simaservis regarding my own retrofit. It was he who told me that Technisat units don't (with the exception of a small few) support AppConnect as they do not have enough RAM.

Given that the parts over here are ...874 and ...876 in the US, that may correlate with what you said, in my own thread concerning locating the GTI trim for the 8" Matte display VW, originally offered with the Golf mark 7 - which I found, by the way because I was correct in my (very valid) assumption - were not available at the same time in the US as they were in Europe.

Whether you deem this to be off topic or not, I haven't seen the information Simaservis provided me with (after I had purchased my first unit, I might add) concerning Technisat units and the support of CarPlay, and felt it necessary to assist a fellow member here in their search for the components. It would be all too easy for someone to fall into the pitfall of purchasing the incorrect unit, as I did - based solely off the part number "being compatible". Now, it is. I have done countless hours of my own research prior to making any purchases - at least I was fortunate enough to buy them using listings on eBay which offered returns...

Last edited: