GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eric's MK7 Golf R (2016) Build Suspension + BigTurbo

chitownfan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 audi s3
Temporary tune finish state revision C

Been with out my car for a while so I picked it up for the weekend.

We ran up against a fuel pressure issue 30psi on the big APR EFR7163.
I have the full APR Turbo Kit and the APR Fuel kit but the pump is too small.

The APR tune runs very high boost with seriously retarded fuel loads. It's seems to be a very dangerous situation. So Fred stopped the tuning cycle was like "you need a MUCH" larger fuel pump then the APR supplied 305 LPH. Fred pointed us to the Walbro 525 LPH pump. Should be sick.
Comes in Tuesday or Wednesday will require some custom labor on the basket to fit it for the larger size fuel pump.

So I have my car currently running big turbo on only 22PSI. Feels meh very retarded power at this point. I think the stock IS38 with APR Stage II+ puled way harder but I think the boost levels are much higher in Stage II + then i'm running.

Fred thinks we should go like 30 PSI on her. On this EFR7163 it will be sick.

I'm going with the United Motorsports custom tunes
  • ECU (go fast brain)
  • DSG (Transmision)
  • Big Turbo (EFR 7163 APR Borg Warner)
  • Custom Fuel Rail and Pump (APR fuel rail, Bosh Injectors, and now Whalbro 525LPH)

Drove it home and MAN this car feels awesome! The handling is incredible! I love the APR catback with the valves open "I have the remote in my car" and holy shit it's loud AF when you shift. LOL

Woo hoo!!!!
how much money did you blow on this car?

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
how much money did you blow on this car?

He mentioned a 27k figure in an earlier post....

My APR end links are in the trash or shelf at the shop now. They were replaced because the joints were giving out under 2k miles. I ended up labor parts etc well over 27K on this build. I love it but I would have prefered a reliable single kit solution for sure. And for the MK7 APR Stage III is not it.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
He mentioned a 27k figure in an earlier post....

I did a similar build on a MkV and spent about that amount. That included built motor, EFR7163, tune, Recaros, Brembos, Eibach R1 coilovers, track wheels and tires and going with tubular front control and all sphericals throughout.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I think if you're paying for all of the labor, swapping things in and out and running into issues that require return trips to the shop and re-tuning then it's a number you can easily reach.

I'm too cheap to every pay someone for something I can figure out how to do myself, but that's just me

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The car is a freaking beast. Sounds amazing. I have the APR wireless controller for the exhaust as well and I can just open those up and wow...sound like the gates of hell. I can do a video walk around and sound cuts if you all like.

Sure post the sound cuts.

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
Sad news....car is blowing white smoke. LOL I know what the means or could be! I'm flat bedding it to my fantastic pro shop where I live. Christian is amazing. So...we shall see...easy case cracked Coolant......worst cracked engine block. LOL I'm ready any strech.
I have some idiots (general oil change place here) change my oil and not a pro shop or VW dealers. "long story" never ran the same...blue smoke backfired hard after taking out of the place. *sigh*

I will have Christian repair it ...but well...if I need my upper rebuilt...DO IT. Etc....will keep you notified and oh by the way I will do a sound cut on the APR Exhausts this weekend!

~cheers!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Sad news....car is blowing white smoke. LOL I know what the means or could be! I'm flat bedding it to my fantastic pro shop where I live. Christian is amazing. So...we shall see...easy case cracked Coolant......worst cracked engine block. LOL I'm ready any strech.
I have some idiots (general oil change place here) change my oil and not a pro shop or VW dealers. "long story" never ran the same...blue smoke backfired hard after taking out of the place. *sigh*

I will have Christian repair it ...but well...if I need my upper rebuilt...DO IT. Etc....will keep you notified and oh by the way I will do a sound cut on the APR Exhausts this weekend!

~cheers!
Overfilled the oil?

RileyMk7

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I was researching this exact setup in my own comparison between IS38, Vortex, or Borg Warner and found your comments that, in hindsight, you might go with a different setup. Do you still feel that way? You seem to have a similar approach I do to the process, albeit with a R instead of a GTI, and higher power goals - I am only looking for low 400s but am open to going a little bigger.

Sorry to hear about the smoke. You still here in Austin and did you get your issues resolved?

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
I was researching this exact setup in my own comparison between IS38, Vortex, or Borg Warner and found your comments that, in hindsight, you might go with a different setup. Do you still feel that way? You seem to have a similar approach I do to the process, albeit with a R instead of a GTI, and higher power goals - I am only looking for low 400s but am open to going a little bigger.

Sorry to hear about the smoke. You still here in Austin and did you get your issues resolved?
Hi. Actually, I am in The Woodlands, TX now and will be taking into the local pro shop on a flat bed soon. I work from home so we use the wife’s tuned S3. Soon. The pro shop here in north Houston

Attachments

• EC055109-E874-468D-8A55-BE250A85E378.jpeg
    EC055109-E874-468D-8A55-BE250A85E378.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 92
  • CCE903B9-CBDE-4569-A849-7391A937B20A.jpeg
    CCE903B9-CBDE-4569-A849-7391A937B20A.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 88

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
Zero problems; it was an overfill from some crappy oil place. I only take her out to Christian at Das European Autohaus now. He drained it and put new oil in.
I failed my TX emissions for the first time. I had left the valves open via the electronic actuator remote! LOL, Closed it and went to another. Passed flying colors.