GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eric's MK7 Golf R (2016) Build Suspension + BigTurbo

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Very cool build. Tuning it up to 500whp sounds exciting. Looking forward to your driving reviews and hopefully you take this thing to a road course.

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
Checked in today and what was happening!

My old IS38 well 20k miles on it.

John at Brink Motorsports getting her ready for the fuel rails and APR fuel kit injectors. I believe they are 990cc

Mike holding the APR adjustable endlinks. They will be putting those on and the front APR sway bar today as well.

John checking on the noise I was hearing from the coil over towers. Looks like some custom work or lowering needs to be done with the hats. They are rubbing slightly on the top of the Integrated Engineering caster cambers.

Good GOD she's naked! Drilled the manifold for the new injectors.

The VWPerformance Oil catch can and the windshield wiper fluid deletion with a small "viking" horn filled reservoir going in as well. I will put those pictures in when I get them.

She will be in the shop this weekend and hopefully early next week I get her back APR STAGE 3+ EFR Turbo on board and tuned whit United Motorsports.

We had to have the custom welded electronic solenoid turbo adjusted slightly. We needed an eye hook on it "off site getting done now". And we had to build a custom oil line because with the larger reinforced back plate Fred at UM put on we need more length. So John is fabricating that up.

All good so far !!!!

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
Did some body work while waiting on pieces parts from APR

Did some body work. I had some hail damage from last year on the car.
"Dent Dude" came in and wow it looks really good now!

Front left fender well

Top hat head liner had a massive quantity of smaller dents

We were waiting on the APR Boost Tap which did not ship with the turbo kit for some reason. :(

Last edited:

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
Big EFR7163 in!!!

Big Turbo EFR7163 w/custom fabrication on board!

You can see in this picture a few things.
  • Racing Line Catch can "looks sick"
  • Spulen Washer Fluid reservoir relocation kit
  • APR BoostTap
  • New APR Fuel Rail
  • New APR 980cc fuel injectors
  • New APR hosting etc...
  • APR Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake "existing"

You can see the PCV replacement. Probably overkill on the catch can but I really don't want any oil deposits on the valves.
I say overkill because of the direct injectors tapped into the intake manifold should blow out that re-circulation oil.
John @Brinkmotorsports went ahead and just took a standard APR boost tap and "ye' ol tap and die" the boost tap so he could mount it to the intake manifold.

With the hat on looks tight!

Notes: She is all together and now all we wait for is the United Motorsports base tune to be put on and LET THE DATA LOGGING BEGIN!
Mike will install the tune tonight or tomorrow and then start logging her tomorrow. He will be sending the logs off to Fred @UnitedMotorsports and he will tweak the tune.
Mike then uploads the new tune and then drives it...logs again...sends those off. etc..

This is not a one size fits all APR tune. This is a custom tune brought to me by United Motorsports, Fred and Mike. I'm super excited.
Additionally a custom DSG tune will be put on her as well. I have Stage 2+ APR ECU and DSG but oh well...they go bye bye.

p.s. some last minute fit and finish stuff will be addressed as well "Ride height on the KW coil overs", "tighten the APR catback exhaust a bit".

Last edited:

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
Tune day 1 :)

Mike @Brinkmotorsports has the initial tune from Fred @UnitedMotorsports and he is on boarding it as we speak. He will make a data log run today and then send off the results to Fred tonight.

Let the madness begin!

p.s. I will be adding the following engine bay decor.

• RacingLine Expansion Cover
  • RacingLine Oil Cover
  • RacingLine Oil Filter container
  • RacingLine Dip stick

I will probably not be able to get those in hand for a few weeks. They seem to be fairly scarce and difficult to get your hands on. But after she will look great! All that carbon fiber and black billet under the hood.

:)

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
Tune day 2 :)

Tuning got started and we ran the base UM data log. "sad face" it's a base tune so and nothing on it so yeah slow as balls.

We got our logs and sent them off to Fred @UnitedMotorsports.com
We have those back and were uploading now and we need to make 2 data runs.
One at 15psi and another at 22psi.

We had to stop at 22psi because we were out of fuel pump.

We are probably looking at about 8 runs.
Will keep this updated :)

Thanks All :)

Last edited:

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
DAY 3 Tune - Revisions, Revisions, and Revisions

Mike at Brinkmotorsports.com has received update rev C from Fred at UnitedMotorsports.com and is data logging as we speak. They will probably do a few more data logs to get her dialed in.

Again for brevity's sake.

My engine is NOT rebuilt. So I will be using the ECU/DSG tune from UM which lower the torque down significantly while maintaining the high end horsepower.

The theory here is NO BLOWING UP my engine. With that all wheel drive and very little slop all that torque could pop the engine. So Fred "hand crafts" your cars ECU/DSG tune based on real data from your car. Not some test car and and one size fits all tune.

Will keep you posted I may ...may be picking her up today/tonight.

Eric

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
Temporary tune finish state revision C

Been with out my car for a while so I picked it up for the weekend.

We ran up against a fuel pressure issue 30psi on the big APR EFR7163.
I have the full APR Turbo Kit and the APR Fuel kit but the pump is too small.

The APR tune runs very high boost with seriously retarded fuel loads. It's seems to be a very dangerous situation. So Fred stopped the tuning cycle was like "you need a MUCH" larger fuel pump then the APR supplied 305 LPH. Fred pointed us to the Walbro 525 LPH pump. Should be sick.
Comes in Tuesday or Wednesday will require some custom labor on the basket to fit it for the larger size fuel pump.

So I have my car currently running big turbo on only 22PSI. Feels meh very retarded power at this point. I think the stock IS38 with APR Stage II+ puled way harder but I think the boost levels are much higher in Stage II + then i'm running.

Fred thinks we should go like 30 PSI on her. On this EFR7163 it will be sick.

I'm going with the United Motorsports custom tunes
  • ECU (go fast brain)
  • DSG (Transmision)
  • Big Turbo (EFR 7163 APR Borg Warner)
  • Custom Fuel Rail and Pump (APR fuel rail, Bosh Injectors, and now Whalbro 525LPH)

Drove it home and MAN this car feels awesome! The handling is incredible! I love the APR catback with the valves open "I have the remote in my car" and holy shit it's loud AF when you shift. LOL

Woo hoo!!!!

Last edited:

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Been with out my car for a while so I picked it up for the weekend.

We ran up against a fuel pressure issue 30psi on the big APR EFR7163.
I have the full APR Turbo Kit and the APR Fuel kit but the pump is too small.

The APR tune runs very high boost with seriously retarded fuel loads. It's seems to be a very dangerous situation. So Fred stopped the tuning cycle was like "you need a MUCH" larger fuel pump then the APR supplied 305 LPH. Fred pointed us to the Walbro 525 LPH pump. Should be sick.
Comes in Tuesday or Wednesday will require some custom labor on the basket to fit it for the larger size fuel pump.

So I have my car currently running big turbo on only 22PSI. Feels meh very retarded power at this point. I think the stock IS38 with APR Stage II+ puled way harder but I think the boost levels are much higher in Stage II + then i'm running.

Fred thinks we should go like 30 PSI on her. On this EFR7183 it will be sick.

I'm going with the United Motorsports custom tunes
  • ECU (go fast brain)
  • DSG (Transmision)
  • Big Turbo (EFR 7163 APR Borg Warner)
  • Custom Fuel Rail and Pump (APR fuel rail, Bosh Injectors, and now Whalbro 525LPH)

Drove it home and MAN this car feels awesome! The handling is incredible! I love the APR catback with the valves open "I have the remote in my car" and holy shit it's loud AF when you shift. LOL

Woo hoo!!!!

Thanks for sharing the EFR build. Fun stuff!
Are you considering the UM Haldex tune? It feels great during cornering acceleration and even straightaway start-up.
Takes out some of the understeer feeling around corners.

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for sharing the EFR build. Fun stuff!
Are you considering the UM Haldex tune? It feels great during cornering acceleration and even straightaway start-up.
Takes out some of the understeer feeling around corners.

Interesting...I did see they offer one.
I am getting the UM ECU and DSG but had not thought about the Halidex. So you think that makes a big difference for you?

I have beefed up the suspension quite a bit. KW Coiloves, front and rear sway bars. endlinks etc.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Interesting...I did see they offer one.
I am getting the UM ECU and DSG but had not thought about the Halidex. So you think that makes a big difference for you?

I have beefed up the suspension quite a bit. KW Coiloves, front and rear sway bars. endlinks etc.

I think the UM Haldex tune was totally worth it. Noticed the difference right away during my first acceleration around a corner. More push from the rear than before.

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
I think the UM Haldex tune was totally worth it. Noticed the difference right away during my first acceleration around a corner. More push from the rear than before.

Ok then I will tell them when I take in next thrs to do that tune as well.

My Walbro 525 LPH did not come in early like we were hoping. Not in till Friday. I have a flight I need to take cross country and then back again next Wednesday.

So I will get that tune installed same time they update the ECU and install the DSG so I will add the Halidex with that.

I have an oil leak and my exhaust is shooting blue smoke so ...I take it in tomorrow to fix it. My fuel pump install takes some custom work as the fuel basket needs to be modified so I will do that next thrs with the 3 tunes from UM.

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
Minor setback yesterday and fixed today!

Had a minor setback with the engine after driving it a few days.

I had some blue smoke coming out the back of the car. I smelled oil.
Did some research couple things are pretty obvious to check so I popped the hood and looky looky.

Oil being pushed out of the gaskets under the Racingline Catch Can PCV mounting bracket.

I sent an email off to my tuner and he said "Bring her in tomorrow and we will get that fixed"

John @BrinkMotorsports tackled it right away. Validated what was talked about by several on the forums

Originally Posted by Jc9963
I have a Racingline catch can for and it was seeping oil like yours. The gasket under the plate got pinched during install. I replaced the gasket and haven’t had an issue since. The gasket can be kind of a pain to install. Might be worth checking.

Thank you all amazing forum peoples!
So John agreed with that and did a visual inspection close up and yep it was comming out of the Racingline gasket mount area for the catch can.

And they did...dropped everything and just fixed it.
Gasket was pinched so it was leaking oil.

They lifted the car and blew out cleaned the back side of the engine to make sure there was no leakage on the back side as well. Lowered her and NO OIL or smoke!

Here is the Larger view of the area

And here is the close up again with the gasket replaced and the engine cleaned up

Bonus shot!

Is that a Snail in there?
You can see the APR EFR7163 twin screw big turbo. mmmmmm
You can see my APR front sway bar as well :p

We got stalled a bit waiting on the 525 LPH Walbro fuel pump. It comes in tomorrow. So I have my car now. weeee Only 22 PSI but still feels great!

I'm flying out to Portland, Oregon for a few days be back in Austin on Weds night. Take my car back in Thursday and have the pump installed and the madness of wizardry tuning!

p.s. I"m already saving "getting ready" for the potential engine rebuild. I will just drop her and take the lower to Integrated Engineering and have them rebuild it solid. If that happens I re tune and and go nuts on PSI.

Loving this!

Can't say enough about the good people at Brink Motorsports. *cheers*