GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eric's MK7 Golf R (2016) Build Suspension + BigTurbo

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all.

Big shout out to member alongo83 without his information and phone call I would not have even attempted this.
He inspired me to do the big APR EFR7193 custom fabrication work and make this really possible with the United Motorsports Tunes (ECU/DSG).

I'm in the greater Austin, TX area and I have owned my Golf R now for a few years.

Prior to this build I had the following:

• APR Stage II Tune
  • APR Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake (CAI)
  • APR DSG TCU Tune
  • APR Turbo Downpipe
  • APR Boost Gauge (in driver air vent)

She made decent power "never Dynoed her" but I wanted more.

2019 Before

2109 Before Side

So decided to do a Stage III + Big Turbo and some Suspension Mods and brakes.

What will follow will be my progress of that conversion from IS38 Stock Turbo and suspension to my future state :)

Last edited:

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
HRE Wheels + Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

First I wanted to add some Wheels and Tires.

I got the following:

• HRE Performance Formflow FFO4's with "Targon" finish.
  • MICHELIN® PILOT® SPORT 4 S (235 /35 R19 91Y XL B
Dirty but you get the picture...

On the car pre-coilovers

They gave me freaking chrome tire stems but it will do for now. I will order the black ones from them and have the wheels remounted at discount tire later :(

Last edited:

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
DAY 1 - APR Stuffs...KW Stufs

DAY 1 - Let the KW Madness begin!

Yay I got her into Brink Motorsports in Austin, TX
Mike at Brink Motorsports was kind enough to provide me with these pictures while they worked away!

Shout out to Brink Motorsports in Austin! Euro Proshop and maintenance!

And it's Christmas!

Yummy Toys!

Last edited:

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
DAY 1 - KW's goings on!

Here are the KW V1's going on!

KW and the Integrated Engineering Camber Plates

Front Coilover Shot : note the StopTech sport brake pads, slotted rotor can barely see the steel lines.

Rear Shocks - You can see the stock chrome tips on the floor..awww

Last edited:

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
APR Cat Back and H&R Rear sway

So yeah they did not have the APR Rear sway so I was like WTH H&R sounds good to me!

APR Cat going on! You can see the purple H&R sway using stock fittings but H&R bushings as well. Those gorgeous black diamond tips!!!!

Installed APR front swaybar "no pictures" with end links
Installed H&R read swaybar

Last edited:

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
Now we wait!!

My APR EFR7163 Stage III turbo is off to United Motorsports.
I'm a little worried about blowing up my engine "because it's not been rebuilt".

So UM will take your IS38 electronic solenoid and remove the APR Borg Warner vacuum wastegate control unit off and swap them.

UM will then calibrate your electronic solenoid with the EFR7163.

Why you ask?

Because APR is a one shirt size fits all kind of tune. A United Motorsports tune will allow my tuner to customize my big turbo the way I want it. I personally don't want that super high end torque. With an all wheel you get not wheel spin giving the transmission a break. So all that torque hits her at once and blamo!

I was still using my car so I called the good folks at Equilibrium Tuning Inc and they sold me an IS38 electronic solenoid. They offer them with there hybrid IS38's Good stuff!!

WILL DO:
  • Replace the factory chrome logo in the back with mat black or black one.
  • Replace the factory chrome logo with a mat black or black one.

So i'm waiting on the calibration on the APR. After we will "well Mike at Brink Motorsports and Fred at United Motorsports will tune the car using a "non built engine tune" which they offer. :) So I will not be using my APR Stage III tune.

After we get it back.

I will be putting on

• APR Fuel Kit (Rail, Lines, injectors, and pump) - NOTE: They drill your manifold so you get direct port injection. Helps with carbon build up as well :)
  • APR EFR7163 Big Turbo (modified with electronic solenoid waste gate actuator)
  • VWPerformance Catch Can "No black smoke on my watch"
  • Windshield wiper delete and putting on the "drinking horn" device.
  • Boost Tap
  • Boost muffler delete

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Awesome build. Saw another guy at Brink that was doing the same thing with his APR Stage 3 turbo. If you ever need someone to chauffeur you around, let me know. :D

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
Did some brake bedding today

I used the most excellent guide from StopTech.

StopTech brake bedding procedure.
Courteous of Rodger Lubeck StopTech Sales Manager

TLDR - Make at least 2 sets of passes going from 60 to 10 mph with about 80% to 90% of brake force just prior to ABS kicking on.

Do this 10 times per set.
Allow 5 to 10 mins of driving to let your brakes cool off in between.

After your done you can do a 3rd set if you like.

I drove the car another 10 mins no braking or light braking "engine break" and try not to stop the car. I drive creep and neutral rolled at the one stoplight I hit.

NOTE: You can see the "blue'ing which means I got the rotors up to temp, and you can see the grayish stuff on the rotors the pad material on the rotors. If you don't do this on aftermarket or not previously broken in pads you can have warped rotors and all kinds of issues.

HAPPY BEDDING!

FRONT HRE FFO4 with StopTech slotted rotors and brakes.

REAR HRE FFO4 with StopTech slotted rotors and brakes.

Last edited:

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
Got the EFR Turbo back from United Motorsports :)

Here she is ...

You can see the welded mounting bracket for the electronic solenoid on it here. If you look close you can see the old APR vacuum actuated solenoid the back.

That is the electronic solenoid I purchased from EQT Turbo about 2 weeks ago.

Fred at United Motorsports sent this back all calibrated and ready to install.
Mike will do some cleanup on it..and blow out any foam or what not which is part of the packing.

Setting the big turbo out

New Electronic Solenoid installed and mounted

Veronica "my golf R" is now in Brink Motorsports capable hands where John at Brink Motorsports will start the install of the APR Fuel Kit, APR EFR Turbo and VWPerformance Catch Can. After many runs to tune the United Motorsports Software install on the car.

I'm hopping to keep the HP close to 500whp and then take the torque down a bit from the APR canned tune. I'm thinking 425 to 440 tq.

Coming along now :)

p.s. They will be adjusting the ride height now that the KW Coilovers have settled and adjusting the exhaust kit after some riding about.